• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Soldato
Good theory, but seriously in practice, I doubt a county court would agree. If the item failed within 12 months, and the person who received said gift had a receipt, then I imagine the retailer would lose (all hypothetical of course) any legal action brought against them.
you might want to believe so.....but the vast majority of retailers disagree and i'd imagine they've looked at the legal side of their decision rather than just randomly deciding that a warranty is non transferable. you could try your luck with the manufacturer of course but most of them will require proof of purchase, which if you're not the original purchaser will struggle to provide. but if you believe you have the law on your side why did you even ask about the warranty in the first place? you originally spoke of 'taking a gamble' on a vega due to warranty - have you been speaking to some armchair lawyer by chance? or has google led you up a dark alley of misinformation?

Associate
you might want to believe so.....but the vast majority of retailers disagree and i'd imagine they've looked at the legal side of their decision rather than just randomly deciding that a warranty is non transferable. you could try your luck with the manufacturer of course but most of them will require proof of purchase, which if you're not the original purchaser will struggle to provide. but if you believe you have the law on your side why did you even ask about the warranty in the first place? you originally spoke of 'taking a gamble' on a vega due to warranty - have you been speaking to some armchair lawyer by chance? or has google led you up a dark alley of misinformation?
Get off your high horse, it was a hypothetical situation. As people do actually buy PC components as gifts. So if a GPU/CPU is bought as a gift, who is legally the original owner? Especially if, for example, the purchaser has the gift delivered to the person who is receiving said gift, the purchaser has never touched the item, are they legally the original owner?

Soldato
Get off your high horse,
what high horse?! :confused: you asked about the warranty situation, it was explained to you. then you start waffling on about county courts.
As people do actually buy PC components as gifts. So if a GPU/CPU is bought as a gift, who is legally the original owner? Especially if, for example, the purchaser has the gift delivered to the person who is receiving said gift, the purchaser has never touched the item, are they legally the original owner?
i'll let you look up consumer law for yourself. i'm scared to answer you now :(

Soldato
Well this is from the CAB website - it's pretty black & white to be fair;

Check the small print
Only the person who bought the item can make a claim, unless your warranty or guarantee uses the phrase ‘third party rights’. It’s important you look out these words if you bought it second hand or were given it as a gift.

Associate
what high horse?! :confused: you asked about the warranty situation, it was explained to you. then you start waffling on about county courts.

:(
I asked about the warranty situation. I then asked what would occur if an item has purchased as a gift. Two different matters, which you seemed to have combined into one

Anyway, I'm waiting for CES

Soldato
I asked about the warranty situation. I then asked what would occur if an item has purchased as a gift. Two different matters, which you seemed to have combined into one

Anyway, I'm waiting for CES
what are you waffling on about dude? 2 different matters maybe but the answer is still the same - though technically very simialr matters - i think you just didn't believe what you were being told so tried to come at it from a slightly different angle.
Q1) what is the warranty situation with this card i'm thinking of buying of 2nd hand
A1) no warranty unless transferable
Q2) if someone buys a gpu as a gift is the warranty transferable
A2) no warranty unless transferable or as i explained the purchaser makes the arrangement with the retailer to have the giftees details on the purchase invoice, or as per some bricks and mortar stores supplies a gift receipt

how is any of that me getting on a high horse. apologies if it came across as such but it wasn't meant to and i don't see how it could have but apologies if it did.

btw i doubt CES will shed a whole lot of light on gpu's but you never know, fingers crossed. also the month old gpu at sub 300 quid was a steal - assuming the seller hadn't fried it somehow. was it an ebay sale or someone you know selling?

Associate
what are you waffling on about dude? 2 different matters maybe but the answer is still the same - though technically very simialr matters - i think you just didn't believe what you were being told so tried to come at it from a slightly different angle.
Q1) what is the warranty situation with this card i'm thinking of buying of 2nd hand
A1) no warranty unless transferable
Q2) if someone buys a gpu as a gift is the warranty transferable
A2) no warranty unless transferable or as i explained the purchaser makes the arrangement with the retailer to have the giftees details on the purchase invoice, or as per some bricks and mortar stores supplies a gift receipt

how is any of that me getting on a high horse. apologies if it came across as such but it wasn't meant to and i don't see how it could have but apologies if it did.

btw i doubt CES will shed a whole lot of light on gpu's but you never know, fingers crossed. also the month old gpu at sub 300 quid was a steal - assuming the seller hadn't fried it somehow. was it an ebay sale or someone you know selling?
Other forum. Need to drive a long way to pick it up.
RTX 2060 might be announced at CES

Associate
Here is my new RX Vega 64 Special Edition, it has been nothing but a huge pain in the ass. I have spent all day nearly every day for a week and a half trying to overclock it and get it to run Fallout 76 worth a damn. still only getting 29 fps or so and no matter what it will not run full screen and take full advantage of the card. I have tried INI's for days with read only, and before that you could not overclock it it would run like trash with the Wattman app and no MSI afterburner to over clock it would want to crash and be unstable, finally i found it was the Wattman app and so I went back to the 17.7.2 drivers and it fixed the OC problem, it will only clock to 1600Mhz V1200 power +50 power ram 1000Mhz V1025 Any more it says no I have even changed bios'es and tables.

Associate
Here is my new RX Vega 64 Special Edition, it has been nothing but a huge pain in the ass. I have spent all day nearly every day for a week and a half trying to overclock it and get it to run Fallout 76 worth a damn. still only getting 29 fps or so and no matter what it will not run full screen and take full advantage of the card. I have tried INI's for days with read only, and before that you could not overclock it it would run like trash with the Wattman app and no MSI afterburner to over clock it would want to crash and be unstable, finally i found it was the Wattman app and so I went back to the 17.7.2 drivers and it fixed the OC problem, it will only clock to 1600Mhz V1200 power +50 power ram 1000Mhz V1025 Any more it says no I have even changed bios'es and tables.
What temps are you getting I’ve played about with several vega 64s and they cannot be brute forced to overclock as the temps go through the roof. Try to under volt P6 to 1080 and P7 to 1100 and monitor your temps. Might be worth trying a different game as this version of fallout is a buggy mess

Associate
Indeed that, Fallout 76 and fallout 4 are both buggy messes, under stress test loads i'm getting 67C to 70C on GPU and 64C to 67C on HBM2 all stable, I can run everything else in full screen perfectly at max settings like Metro 2033 reduex at max 60 fps at 1080P its like nothing to the card but as soon as its not full screen it goes to hell, RE7 at max settings at 1280x720 averages at 136 FPS and i monitored RE7 at 1440P it stutters and throttles from temps at my current settings. You would think with Liquid cooing it would stay cooler. My HD7970's Sapphires stay cool with air at 1150Mhz 65 to 72C at full load their even blowers.

I will give your seggestion a try "eeil"

https://www.furaffinity.net/view/29961123/ here is a pics of my set up.
https://www.furaffinity.net/view/29965049/
https://www.furaffinity.net/view/29965088/ P.S. its all SFW

Last edited:
Soldato
No the rad dumps to the inside they both do but there is plenty of air flow out ward it was done to make use of the dust screens that the case has. And no there is plenty of room between the rad and the mo-bo see. To flea.rider
https://www.furaffinity.net/full/29969441/
What Cpu do you have out of interest?

*Edit I found out you have a FX 9370

Your problem here my friend as I suspected is that with this cpu and ddr3 you are horrifically bottlenecked playing any game that uses Cpu reliant games, expect stuttering and way below expected framerates until you can get yourself a ryzen 5 or above

Last edited:
Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
Ok thank you for the info I figured my CPU would be up to the task at hand considering the power it has but I wondered about the RAM and Mo-Bo
It's a confusing world, that although you are at 4.8ghz on 8 cores,it's actually way more underpowered than a 6 core ryzen 5 at 3.8ghz, it has to do with instructions per clock cycle or IPC.
The ram does not help matters although it's the CPU that is causing you the biggest problem in this scenario.

Associate
Understandably, It makes sense I had forgotten about that little caveat, I was thinking on getting a Threadripper 1900X as my next CPU then when funds could allow moving up to a 2990WX I have had this system for 6 years now and I just Removed my dual Sapphire HD 7970's they are wonderful cards
I can still run a lot of things at max without a hitch
"Thank You for your help Illuminist."

Back
Top Bottom