Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
I managed one junction on the motorway before turning round and coming to work from home because people are idiots and a little snow makes them crash!

Looks like a few people were out albeit later on when it wasn’t pitch black like it would’ve been for me. Maybe with being at home i'll duck out for 30 mins

Associate
To try to get a longer run in mid week I've been getting the train in and then running home one day a week (10-12 miles). Been doing it for 2 weeks, today will be the third, but a bit worried about the ice today. Should get some yack-trax I guess.

Associate
Hi all

Other than the obvious - distance, speed and heart rate what would you say is the next most important stat thats useful for running?

Further to my watch thread https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...ng-me-out-please-help.18844951/#post-32476915 I'm trying to work out if all the additional statistics that are available via HRM-Run provides are really required or not.

If the following are important then I have no choice but to go for the forerunner as the vivo does not offer connectivity to HRM-Run:

• Cadence — number of steps per minute
  • Vertical oscillation — degree of ‘bounce’ in your running motion; displays the vertical motion of your torso, measured in centimeters for each step
  • Ground contact time — amount of time in each step that you spend on the ground while running; measured in milliseconds
  • Ground contact time balance — displays the left/right balance of your ground contact time while running (displays a percentage); for example, 53.2 with an arrow pointing left or right
  • Stride length — length of your stride from 1 footfall to the next; measured in meters
  • Vertical ratio — ratio of vertical oscillation to stride length (displays a percentage); a lower number typically indicates better running form

I assume both watches offer cadence without the HRM-Run strap anyway. Are any of the others above really needed?!

Associate
Hi all

Other than the obvious - distance, speed and heart rate what would you say is the next most important stat thats useful for running?

Further to my watch thread https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...ng-me-out-please-help.18844951/#post-32476915 I'm trying to work out if all the additional statistics that are available via HRM-Run provides are really required or not.

If the following are important then I have no choice but to go for the forerunner as the vivo does not offer connectivity to HRM-Run:

• Cadence — number of steps per minute
  • Vertical oscillation — degree of ‘bounce’ in your running motion; displays the vertical motion of your torso, measured in centimeters for each step
  • Ground contact time — amount of time in each step that you spend on the ground while running; measured in milliseconds
  • Ground contact time balance — displays the left/right balance of your ground contact time while running (displays a percentage); for example, 53.2 with an arrow pointing left or right
  • Stride length — length of your stride from 1 footfall to the next; measured in meters
  • Vertical ratio — ratio of vertical oscillation to stride length (displays a percentage); a lower number typically indicates better running form

I assume both watches offer cadence without the HRM-Run strap anyway. Are any of the others above really needed?!

Cadence is the only one I used, and only for a few months while I focused on increasing it. Now I don't use any of them.

Caporegime
Cadence is the only useful metric that can be trained, has an impact on performance, and can predict injury risk. Even then, it is not critical and if you have a good cadence then you can basically ignore it. I was worried my cadence was low so got a foothold, turns out I'm bang on 180 when running on the flat so now totally ignore it.

The other values have some relevance to performance but you can't really train them. A lower vertical oscillation is more efficient for example, but nothing much you can do to lower this explicitly. Instead, as always, the more you run the more efficient you get and the better these values will be.

Run a high volume of easy miles and all these other metrics will improve slowly.

Last edited:
Associate
Cadence is the only useful metric that can be trained, has an impact on performance, and can predict injury risk. Even then, it is not critical and if you have a good cadence then you can basically ignore it. I was worried my cadence was low so got a foothold, turns out I'm bang on 180 when running on the flat so now totally ignore it.

The other values have some relevance to performance but you can't really train them. A lower vertical oscillation is more efficient for example, but nothing much you can do to lower this explicitly. Instead, as always, the more you run the more efficient you get and the better these values will be.

Run a high volume of easy miles and all these other metrics will improve slowly.

Thank you of your detailed reply as always D.P :)

Further to what you have said am I right in saying there is no need for me to consider buying a watch which will support the HRM-Run strap then seen as all the extra data is not useful?

I assume D.P that you would say any watch which supports a strap for Heart Rate only is sufficient?

Caporegime
yeah, any watch that can use a chest strap for HR is sufficient.
None of the optical HR watches work well when exercising, they are useful for measuring resting HR though.

Man of Honour
Also my Apple Watch only used 35% battery tracking the run, heart rate and playing music. That suggests it could cope for me on a marathon without needing my phone. :)

Possibly worth bearing in mind that most organized races don't allow you to wear normal headphones now, they often allow the bone conducting earphones but not standard ones or at least not officially. I still see lots of people wearing normal headphones and nothing seems to be said but there is at least a theoretical risk the organisers might disqualify you from the race.

Can someone recommend a pair of running trainers, decent ones.

Not really no, I can tell you what type of trainers I wear but that's not much use for you as you'll have a different running action and different biomechanics. The best thing to do is to go to your local running shop, preferably one that offers gait analysis, and get them to recommend you some options and try on several to find the trainer(s) that work best for you.

Soldato
According to the Manchester Marathon website it suggests they’re ok with headphones providing your not “racing” by which I take that to be someone hoping to be well placed for a prize.
Not someone who’s just happy to finish!

Not sure I could complete it without some form of distraction!

Man of Honour
According to the Manchester Marathon website it suggests they’re ok with headphones providing your not “racing” by which I take that to be someone hoping to be well placed for a prize.
Not someone who’s just happy to finish!

Not sure I could complete it without some form of distraction!

Fair enough, I suspect you'll probably be fine. I've just taken a look at the info on music and the organisers say it's strongly discouraged but as there's nothing about disqualifications for headphones I think you'll be ok. And at least you're not suggesting being the person who has their music on loudspeaker and forces everyone else to listen to it... :)

Back
Top Bottom