WINTER 2018/2019 - Chat thread!

Associate
@el_dazza @Funky-Melon @UTmaniac

look out the window Southampton folk, it's coming down thick. They didn't forecast any of this today, are you sure about it not laying chaps :p

Most of the stuff from last night had thawed, this is about 15 minutes of snow, laying very fast considering it was wet on the ground.

Met office app now showing heavy snow here till 8pm.

Chucking it down with snow in Rownhams but it's not settling on pavements or roads as it rained before.

Literally just slush here.

Soldato
I've just been brave and headed outside to the garage, to feed the subtropical livebearer fish in there... The pavement out the front and then following the driveway to the car park around the back is currently a thin layer of snow on top of a deeper layer of slush. It's going to be lethal out there as the temp drops to approx 0C feels like -5C overnight , hopefully the roads and pavement around West End Rd will be treated and not go as wintery as they did last year!

Soldato
Loving the instant justice today to the absolute moron that decided it was a good idea to come up really fast behind me in his crappy Nissan 4x4 wannabe on exceptionally awful downhill conditions on a minor road, practically tailgating me for a bit despite me warning him several times not to , only for him to spin out a few minutes later.

I doubt he learnt a thing even though he almost smashed his car into a wall or worse another car.

Not all bad though, really appreciate the driver that saw my car wasnt gonna make it up an equally bad hill and pulled in so I could reverse calmly back down.legend.

All in all dont go out unless you live in a major city would be my advice...pretty terrible out there.

Man of Honour
Loving the instant justice today to the absolute moron that decided it was a good idea to come up really fast behind me in his crappy Nissan 4x4 wannabe on exceptionally awful downhill conditions on a minor road, practically tailgating me for a bit despite me warning him several times not to , only for him to spin out a few minutes later.

Yeah frustrating those people who seem to think that having a 4x4 means they can drive as normal without a care in the world in adverse conditions - I've a Nissan Pickup with 4WD capability along with the tyres for it - it does perform well in weather like this compared to many normal cars but doesn't mean I can drive like a dick.

Saw someone yesterday in a fancy BMW who was driving way too fast and cockily until they had the back trying to come out - after that they did slow down but they could easily have got someone killed by their driving when I first saw them. (EDIT: For context this was before it had got too heavy but there was obviously slippery patches around and all the reason for driving with caution even though it wasn't too bad at that point).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Nearly had a head on collision as a van comes across the road and we both stop 1/2 metre from each other. Then he tries to pull away and nearly slides back into me!

Man of Honour
We've had about 8 inches here in Basingstoke, still coming down. Glad I worked from home today.

Had to google where Basingstoke is in relation to London (my UK geography sucks), pretty much every major road is gridlocked according to google maps. :D Baffling how you can be so close to London while we have nothing but freezing rain.

Edit: of course it starts snowing as soon as I post, melting instantly though.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Still looking to me like tentative signs of another SSW type event on the end of the model runs - wish I knew more of what I'm talking about.

Associate
Had to google where Basingstoke is in relation to London (my UK geography sucks), pretty much every major road is gridlocked according to google maps. :D Baffling how you can be so close to London while we have nothing but freezing rain.

Edit: of course it starts snowing as soon as I post, melting instantly though.

That is a bit crazy not being that far away, is on the BBC now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47094341

Soldato
Snowing like **** here in Medway. Left the house at 5pm to visit somewhere on Bluebell hill, 15 minutes away. Took us 3 hours to get there. Ended up getting home about half an hour ago. Wasn't in the forecast, where on Earth did that come from?

Back
Top Bottom