Veganuary?

Caporegime
Last night I had a burger and I woke up late this morning and had a meatball chilli with rice for lunch.

So no vegan for me.

I could probably get by substitute milk with soy but that’s as far as I can get since I look forward to a bit of meat in almost every meal.
A meal doesn’t feel complete for me without a bit of meat in. Even when I have a salad, I have to have a few slices of ham or chicken with it. Or a nice slice of gala pie.

Soldato
I think you are far overestimating the relevance of the human race on this planets history and future. We are a mere blip in the Earth's long life. We can't kill the planet, even if we somehow made it uninhabitable for ourselves. Get some perspective on just how irrelevant we are in the grand scheme of things and enjoy life.

Riiiight..... so because the human race will not last on this planet until the heat death of the universe, we shouldn't bother to even try to keep in inhabitable for us for as long as possible? We can obviously kill the planet for ourselves and surely that matters?

Then perhaps you should think about what type of vegetables you consume more carefully.

Actually I do. And even the "worst" vegetables are less energy intensive than growing meat.

Soldato
A meal doesn’t feel complete for me without a bit of meat in. Even when I have a salad, I have to have a few slices of ham or chicken with it. Or a nice slice of gala pie.

I know what you mean. Have you tried red lentils? I'm not a veggie/vegan but I don't eat meat every day. Chucking some red lentils into a veg stew or curry really makes a difference. I was surprised how satisfied I was when I first tried them.

Caporegime
I know what you mean. Have you tried red lentils? I'm not a veggie/vegan but I don't eat meat every day. Chucking some red lentils into a veg stew or curry really makes a difference. I was surprised how satisfied I was when I first tried them.
Never tried them. I’m sadly a bit ignorant around things like that. I’ve always associated lentils and chickpeas with a kind of snobbish vegetarianism. I should maybe expand my horizons more. Are lentils very healthy?

Soldato
Never tried them. I’m adult a bit ignorant around things like that. I’ve always associated lentils and chickpeas with a kind of snobbish vegetarianism. I should maybe expand my horizons more. Are lentils very healthy?

I used to think the same. :)

Yes, they're very healthy, cheap and really easy to use. Just rinse in a sieve under colder water and boil in water for under 10 mins (this is for red (split) lentils, "whole" lentils take longer). They thicken a stew up really well and are protein rich (which is why they are so satisfying).

Caporegime
I used to think the same. :)

Yes, they're very healthy, cheap and really easy to use. Just rinse in a sieve under colder water and boil in water for under 10 mins (this is for red (split) lentils, "whole" lentils take longer). They thicken a stew up really well and are protein rich (which is why they are so satisfying).
If I made a curry with them, could I just use them as a substitute for the meat?

Associate
I really can't bring myself to read the full 9 pages of this thread. I read a couple of page's and it's the same old rubbish published time and time again.

Whilst there may be a grain of truth in some of what has been written the whole picture is wilfully obscured by those who wish to put an end to animal agriculture and those ignorant enough to swallow it up.

Everyone has the choice to what they want to eat, and i have no problems with vegans/vegetarians etc etc but it's the propaganda side of veganuary i really dislike and on time's i feel as though the attack on animal agriculture in this country is counter productive to animal welfare.

Consumer's would be doing far more for the environment by buying seasonally and also local.

Soldato
Just when you didn't think things could get any sillier....

https://www.ecotricity.co.uk/our-green-energy/vegan-energy-supply.

Oh Lordy..:rolleyes:

I guess Vegans dont drive or travel on public transport or heat their homes in the winter (ETC, ETC) either on the grounds that Oil and Gas are the decayed remains of marine organisms

Eventually there will be an outbreak of Sanity and all the loonys will be put back in the asylums!

Soldato
I wonder if wooden pellets from the Amazon rainforest are burned in Ecotricity's supply chain? I mean, at least it's vegan right?

Drax imports wood pellets from Canada. and plans to be wholly biomass by 2025.

Its insane really! I cannot believe that stripping millions of tons of wood from around the globe, processing it, and shipping it to Drax is better for the global environment than simply digging up the coal that Drax is actually built over and burning that (Selby coalfield, now closed)

Soldato
Drax imports wood pellets from Canada. and plans to be wholly biomass by 2025.

Its insane really! I cannot believe that stripping millions of tons of wood from around the globe, processing it, and shipping it to Drax is better for the global environment than simply digging up the coal that Drax is actually built over and burning that (Selby coalfield, now closed)
Thing is that carbon capture already exists and we already have plenty of empty oil fields to send the CO2 down into.

Associate
Just when you didn't think things could get any sillier....

https://www.ecotricity.co.uk/our-green-energy/vegan-energy-supply.

Oh Lordy..:rolleyes:

I guess Vegans dont drive or travel on public transport or heat their homes in the winter (ETC, ETC) either on the grounds that Oil and Gas are the decayed remains of marine organisms

Eventually there will be an outbreak of Sanity and all the loonys will be put back in the asylums!

Another case of jumping on the band wagon for profit, this is also "verified" by the vegan society. :rolleyes:

For those that dont know/understand, basically ecotricity "vegan" electric excludes power coming from anaerobic digesters where cow manure is turned into electricity and fed into the grid.

But hang on, that is not how power distribution works at all. I could be signed up to this yet the power i am using is coming from local AD plants...

Caporegime
One of the problem with all these meat alternatives cost as much if not more than meat. Like those impossible burger, it cost more than the real thing.

the simple solution is simply not to bother with meat alternatives but cook actual vegetarian food

Back
Top Bottom