OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
My 4 month old has a bath about 8-8.30pm and a feed straight after and he's sleeping through the odd night, but if he does wake it's about 1 or 2am where we just give him a feed and he goes back off to sleep. We keep light low and to a minimum when he's supposed to be asleep etc and it seems to work.

He's breast fed so he naturally wakes up regularly anyway. Right now though he actually won't settle unless you're holding him. Waaaah

Soldato
OP
The boy is now a shade over 3 months old and getting him to stay asleep is proving a challenge. He will doze off in our arms and as soon as we lay him down, BANG! turbo melt down. It's like he has a built in altimeter. It's tough, and it seems the general concensus is "enjoy this time" ...if one.more person says that to me though, I might poke their eyes out :D difficult to enjoy screaming at 3am.
Jengaaaaaaa

Yeah I remember those days. Not gonna blow smoke up your arse, it's a pain, but it passes. Then they start getting out of their bed on their own.

Soldato
Jengaaaaaaa

Yeah I remember those days. Not gonna blow smoke up your arse, it's a pain, but it passes. Then they start getting out of their bed on their own.
Thats what we get, my 2.5 year old wakes after about an hour (although i think hes too hot), then normally about 10ish he will trot through into our bed. Has been doing that since july last year.

Soldato
OP
Thats what we get, my 2.5 year old wakes after about an hour (although i think hes too hot), then normally about 10ish he will trot through into our bed. Has been doing that since july last year.
Yep, likewise. Thankfully she just hops into our bed and passes out most of the time (except for the few dreaded occurrences of "daddy, fink so we could play downstairs?" when she's totally awake).

She's starting to get a bit of lip on her now as well. I suggested we play with her fav puzzle and she goes "noooo daddy, that's booooring" Or my favourite
Me: "hey Riley, how about we play with xyz?"
Riley: "how about not"

Don
He's breast fed so he naturally wakes up regularly anyway. Right now though he actually won't settle unless you're holding him. Waaaah

It is typical for breastfed babies to want to be held when they fall asleep. Invariably they will fall asleep while they are feeding, and of course they are being held when they are feeding (the hormones in the milk make them sleepy) so they get into the habit of being held when they fall asleep. It's just a phase you have to persist through.

Soldato
ours is almost 8 months and is waking up every few hours. Looking forward to when this is over
Mind if I ask if they're breastfed or on formula? Our 8 month old is sleeping great at the moment, he's formula fed out of necessity.

Just gathering anecdotal evidence on whether breastfed babies sleep worse so we can prepare for more sleepless nights if the next one does breastfeed.

@Resident good luck with the induction

Associate
So today is the day that Docs have decided that they want my boy out of his comfy place in the womb due to the medical issues he's causing his mum.

They've booked my partner in and will be using something new called balloon induction.

Congratulations when the time comes! Hope it all goes well for you all!

Mind if I ask if they're breastfed or on formula? Our 8 month old is sleeping great at the moment, he's formula fed out of necessity.

Just gathering anecdotal evidence on whether breastfed babies sleep worse so we can prepare for more sleepless nights if the next one does breastfeed.

Not at all. Predominately breast fed. Though the day time feeds are dropping in frequency, the nights are not. We've been told to start replacing one of the night feeds with water from dad (me) so phsycing ourselves up for that fun.

Don
My eldest (4 yo) has got chickenpox 2 weeks before we're due to go to center parcs. We assume the youngest isn't far behind. Anyone have any real life experience of recovery times?

7-10 days for both of my kids :) Your eldest should be recovered in time, the youngest maybe not so much...

Permabanned
My little ones first parents evening last night (4yr old) was a very strange feeling sitting down on the little chairs speaking to the teacher! I think that's been my biggest realisation she is growing up :o

Associate
I've heard there can be quite a long incubation period. Fingers crossed the little one might just scrape through until we get home.
Do you really think it's a good idea to take a possibly infectious child with a disease that can be spread just by being in the same room as that child, to a place where there will be loads of children gathered together?
Also possibility of pregnant woman being around as well?

Sorry if it come across as harsh, but it's a bit irresponsible.
From the NHS website on Cicken pox
Important
You'll need to stay away from school, nursery or work until all the spots have crusted over.

This is usually 5 days after the spots first appeared.

I will say if the little one gets it quick and everything is all scabbed over before you go it would be fine. Get them to play closely together for the next few days!

Soldato
Do you really think it's a good idea to take a possibly infectious child with a disease that can be spread just by being in the same room as that child, to a place where there will be loads of children gathered together?
Also possibility of pregnant woman being around as well?

Sorry if it come across as harsh, but it's a bit irresponsible.
From the NHS website on Cicken pox

I will say if the little one gets it quick and everything is all scabbed over before you go it would be fine. Get them to play closely together for the next few days!

The problem is there is a 13-17 day incubation period.

The first spots appeared on my eldest on Monday 11th. 14 days later is the day we’re due to return home. The little one might never get it as he might of already had it.

If you plan your life around the possibilities of things happening with children you’d never leave the house.

Last edited:
Associate
The problem is there is a 13-17 day incubation period.

The first spots appeared on my eldest on Monday 11th. 14 days later is the day we’re due to return home. The little one might never get it as he might of already had it.

And he might be nicely infectious and not showing any spots for a couple of days during a period that you will be near loads of other children. Swimming, playing, running around.
With the incubation period, it could be as low as 7 days or up to 21 depending on the websites you read. I don't know when my two caught theirs so I can't tell you what incubation period mine had. Using your numbers though it's only a 3 day period after you get back. Quite a gamble.

If you plan your life around the possibilities of things happening with children you’d never leave the house.
Well I agree with this at least!

Also I hope you read the T&C's
centreparcs said:
D4. You should inform us immediately if, within 4 weeks prior to your arrival date or during your break, any member of your party has, or develops, an infectious or contagious medical condition. If so, we have the right to: Refuse to accept your booking; or Cancel your break; or Ask any member of your party to refrain from taking part in certain activities; or
Ask any member of your party to leave the village immediately, should we, at our discretion consider it necessary to protect the health of other guests, staff or the general public.

Last edited:
Soldato
Weird George has skipped straight from milk to solids, though he wont drink water or cordial yet so still needs milk. He just wouldnt entertain puree stuff.

Don
If your eldest is "crusty" and there are no signs of spots on your youngest, then I would risk taking the holiday. You wouldn't take your youngest child out of school "just in case" they are infectious, nor would I not go on holiday.

IF spots start to appear before you leave, then I would abandon the holiday.

Back
Top Bottom