**** The Official Google Pixel 3 Thread ****

Soldato
I was on the hunt for one of the discounted P3 cases in my local O2 shop when I saw some S10 units on display. The hardware is nice as ever but when I saw that UI I stroked my Pixel in relief. It's seriously ******* dire - the scaling is off so I couldn't configure the same UI density as on the Pixel. The Pixel may have it's flaws but at least you don't have to spend all day tweaking it just to make the UI look good. When I bought mine I just set the scaling and font size to smallest and away I went...

Soldato
I was reading a Reddit thread yesterday about the pixel 3 where it basically said it was a great camera with a mediocre phone attached. When reading the comments it was disturbing how many unhappy customers there was. Have Google learned nothing from the pixel 2 debacle? In fact there was people on there who were ex P2 owners who said the older phone actually runs better than the newer one.

I'm not staying they're all rubbish as some are obviously happy but they have definite issues and as such if I were in the market now I'd probably look at the S10 instead. My girlfriend just got an s9 plus and it's in all honesty probably a better phone than my 2xl especially with one UI on it and I think it looks decent. Having the latest updates is all well and good but not if you end up being a guinea pig for Google.

Reddit is where you go to moan. I have not had any issues with my p3xl and it's an improvement on the p2xl. All be it minor.

It's a personal justification at the end of the day. Some people will have more needs or more disposable income than the next.

I upgrade each year so did not mind driving in on the p3xl even though I was not keen on the notch.

I hope the p4xl is specced a bit higher this year and we see the back of the monster notch

Associate
Reddit is where you go to moan. I have not had any issues with my p3xl and it's an improvement on the p2xl. All be it minor.

It's a personal justification at the end of the day. Some people will have more needs or more disposable income than the next.

I upgrade each year so did not mind driving in on the p3xl even though I was not keen on the notch.

I hope the p4xl is specced a bit higher this year and we see the back of the monster notch

Maybe it is [where people go to moan] but reading through the comments, there were at least some decent points being made and I could relate to some of them even though I am not a Pixel 3 owner. Obviously some people have no problems (or at least, don’t notice them) which is good for them, but it doesn’t change the fact that, camera apart, their offerings have not been great ones for a fairly decent chunk of owners.

It took them over a year of software updates before my 2XL became stable, which it is now, but seeing people are still having very annoying bugs many months after release means that I am reluctant to buy another. I will probably see what the Pixel 4XL is like anyway, as I like it when it works, but will it be a case of brave pills all over again? At very least, they’ll have to give a sizeable spec bump next time around otherwise I’ll likely end up on a Samsung once again.

Soldato
I am confused. I also had a xl2 and only issue I ever had with that was it sometimes unlocked in my pocket.

I think you can look to hard at minor issues. Or get a major issue and rma it.

Associate
Me for one, and plenty of other issues are just a google away. As I say, if you didn't have any problems, great, doesn't mean other people don't. My history with the 2XL is probably quite well documented on here and common issues are but a google away. It didn't have any major issues, just enough minor ones to make the ownership experience in the first year rather 'testing' to say the least!

Associate
I managed to grab a Pixel 3 for £389 from Mobile Phones Direct, 'refurbished' unit, basically a contract return.

Trying to figure out if the screen uniformity is a mess! The LG panel lottery

Soldato
Me for one, and plenty of other issues are just a google away. As I say, if you didn't have any problems, great, doesn't mean other people don't. My history with the 2XL is probably quite well documented on here and common issues are but a google away. It didn't have any major issues, just enough minor ones to make the ownership experience in the first year rather 'testing' to say the least!

you have warranty get them fixed ? maybe you had a duff unit? the google warranty replacement is awesome.

Soldato
Just grabbed the March update, a few key updates

Camera Improves Startup and responsiveness of Camera app Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL
Performance Improves recovery in the instance of OTA update failure Pixel 3, Pixel 3XL
Performance Improves storage performance on Pixel 3 devices Pixel 3, Pixel3 XL
Bluetooth Improves bluetooth reliability on Pixel 3 devices Pixel 3, Pixel3 XL
Media Improves playback of encrypted media on some video apps

Associate
you have warranty get them fixed ? maybe you had a duff unit? the google warranty replacement is awesome.

To be fair though as I say almost all problems have been fixed with updates which suggests the actual hardware is working? Just I feel like a beta tester! Like you this phone also still has the annoying habit of occasionally unlocking in my pocket :(

In all honesty though I'll stick it out now till the end of the year and see how the land lies with the pixel 4, note 10 etc and then decide what to do. Even though I've had problems I'm still kind of fond of the pixels (I must be a glutton for punishment :D)

Soldato
well for sure some things should be better, but that's the price you pay for having a software version 6 - 12 months before the competition which i like. i have honestly not had a issue since the nexus 4 came out with band issues meaning it dropped calls on the O2 network for the first week.

I do feel the P4 needs to have a better modern look and a bit more ram when it arrives

Associate
well for sure some things should be better, but that's the price you pay for having a software version 6 - 12 months before the competition which i like. i have honestly not had a issue since the nexus 4 came out with band issues meaning it dropped calls on the O2 network for the first week.

I do feel the P4 needs to have a better modern look and a bit more ram when it arrives

Yeah I had a Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 (the first one) and no problems with those. The 2XL is my first Pixel phone and it has been a mixed bag I have to say. I also had a Pixel C which frankly was utter garbage - very pleased I didn't pay full price for that.

I pretty much expect the next Pixel 4 to have a CPU bump, the new faster storage standard (UFS3.0?), more RAM and a telephoto lens for me to consider it now.

Associate
Well please don't state as 'fact' then.

You really are quite touchy aren’t you?

It IS a fact that a chunk (whichever thesaurus word you wish to replace for it if you wish) of owners had problems with Pixel phones. Or are you saying I and all those other people (including some on this very forum) are all imagining it?! :D

Soldato
Not really, you're just beating this drum about all these problems and it's a huge issue and I don't think anyone else here seems to agree? Chunk would suggest a large portion. I don't think there's any bigger amount of issues than other phones.

Not really, you're just beating this drum about all these problems and it's a huge issue and I don't think anyone else here seems to agree? Chunk would suggest a large portion. I don't think there's any bigger amount of issues than other phones.
well he actually didn't say chunk, he said "fairly decent chunk". a lot of people, would be more than say 50%, but a good chunk could be 20%, a fairly decent chunk would be less than a good chunk, so say 10%.

though i do agree with you that it does seem no more than average amount of issue for a phone, however we're in a thread that wont get updates now about standard features everyone knows about and uses, it'll just be to go over issues now more than anything or updates. i wouldn't look to expect much else from a phone that came out end of last year.

Soldato
well he actually didn't say chunk, he said "fairly decent chunk". a lot of people, would be more than say 50%, but a good chunk could be 20%, a fairly decent chunk would be less than a good chunk, so say 10%.

Well I can't say I agree with that either. 'The majority of people' would be over 50%. A lot of people could still be a low percentage if it's something that has sold in the millions and not so related to proportions. I also can't believe it's as many as 10% personally. Probably not even close. Anyway, he's entitled to his opinion, I guess as I said, he seems to be trying to push it on us all the time is all.

Back
Top Bottom