**** The Official Google Pixel 3 Thread ****

Associate
I'm waiting to see what the new Nokia 9 is like. I really like the pixel 3 and pure android and if it worked and I could be sure that the issues I had and that I've seen others talk about were just a limited number of cases, I would definitely buy another.

But I can't be sure and don't want the hassle of getting another one, setting it up again and then going through the same issues as before and having to return it

I like the idea of the new Nokia 9 in terms of more or less pure android, and hopefully reliable hardware.

Of course there could be issues with the Nokia 9, but they are trying hard to regain ground and I'd imagine will pay more attention to detail than Google, who seem more interested in pushing their software.

Thoughts?

Soldato
Mine does to odd flash when the screen is just on AOD. Weird. I've seen videos of peoples flashing like crazy. Mine will just do the odd one now and then.

Anyone looked at getting a replacement from google for it?
My Pixel2 XL did this as soon as i got it last year, started happening within a day or 2 after I got the phone from CPW. Sounds identical to the issue i had which was well known with the 2. This was what was happening: https://youtu.be/tzB2ZT4aD8c

I took it right back to CPW and after a bit of hassle they just replaced it. Still using the 2XL but getting the itch to replace/upgrade.

Associate
I'm noticing mine more often now but still only catch once or twice s day. Seems to be after I've locked it. That moment between no screen to always on display quickly flashes

Associate
I'm waiting to see what the new Nokia 9 is like. I really like the pixel 3 and pure android and if it worked and I could be sure that the issues I had and that I've seen others talk about were just a limited number of cases, I would definitely buy another.

But I can't be sure and don't want the hassle of getting another one, setting it up again and then going through the same issues as before and having to return it

I like the idea of the new Nokia 9 in terms of more or less pure android, and hopefully reliable hardware.

Of course there could be issues with the Nokia 9, but they are trying hard to regain ground and I'd imagine will pay more attention to detail than Google, who seem more interested in pushing their software.

Thoughts?

Worth a try. I had a 2xl which I've now got sick of and ordered an iPhone because I'm just tired of non stop issues. If I were to stay on android I'd give it a close look as I'm not a fan of bloaty skins on other phones. I feel like this isn't a great time for android phones. Expensive, full of issues and even android pie seems like a step back. I wanted to fully invest in Google ecosystem but their products have made it impossible and so they've lost a "customer"

Soldato
On flipside, I've had no issues at all with either my Pixel or Pixel 2 to a point where I've bought a Google Home recently because I was so happy with it. I use all of Googles eco system so I suppose that helps but I really do find it incredibly feature rich (software) in comparison to iOS. Things like having a widget for my calendar that I can make how I want it is something that would annoy me if I were to make the switch. Photos is also naff on iOS, Google Photos is way ahead of it, not to mention calendar integration.

One thing that I do wish we had is the visual voicemail, but that's it.

What is it about iOS that you think you'll be getting over and above what a Pixel 3 (assuming it's working as intended) can offer?

Associate
On flipside, I've had no issues at all with either my Pixel or Pixel 2 to a point where I've bought a Google Home recently because I was so happy with it. I use all of Googles eco system so I suppose that helps but I really do find it incredibly feature rich (software) in comparison to iOS. Things like having a widget for my calendar that I can make how I want it is something that would annoy me if I were to make the switch. Photos is also naff on iOS, Google Photos is way ahead of it, not to mention calendar integration.

One thing that I do wish we had is the visual voicemail, but that's it.

What is it about iOS that you think you'll be getting over and above what a Pixel 3 (assuming it's working as intended) can offer?

I've had another play with the iPhone again today and honestly I'm not sure anymore. The gestures were actually annoying me (in comparison to having a back button on Android) and I'm starting to think of things I'm going to lose (like YouTube Vanced which I use a lot).

I wish I could just make this damn thing not wake up in my pocket, for the GPS to actually work in a city and charge when I want it to charge (it's fine as long as it's warm). I wish I could find a keyboard that wasn't utter gash.

Another thing when I picked up the iPhone before it didn't wake up like it should but did so eventually after 20 seconds (yes I could have pressed the button).

Maybe I need to manage my expectations of any device but is it too much to ask for basic things to work?

I've cancelled my order. Dunno what to do.

Soldato
I've had another play with the iPhone again today and honestly I'm not sure anymore. The gestures were actually annoying me (in comparison to having a back button on Android) and I'm starting to think of things I'm going to lose (like YouTube Vanced which I use a lot).

I wish I could just make this damn thing not wake up in my pocket, for the GPS to actually work in a city and charge when I want it to charge (it's fine as long as it's warm). I wish I could find a keyboard that wasn't utter gash.

Another thing when I picked up the iPhone before it didn't wake up like it should but did so eventually after 20 seconds (yes I could have pressed the button).

Maybe I need to manage my expectations of any device but is it too much to ask for basic things to work?

I've cancelled my order. Dunno what to do.
If nothing else has come from this, I now have Youtube Vanced! Can't believe I'd never heard of it before!

Do you know whether it gets updates a la standard Youtube?

I wonder whether an RMA might be the best way for you. If you can get a device which is working as intended it will likely change your attitude to it and may well leave you happy.

Soldato
If nothing else has come from this, I now have Youtube Vanced! Can't believe I'd never heard of it before!

I wonder whether an RMA might be the best way for you. If you can get a device which is working as intended it will likely change your attitude to it and may well leave you happy.

it doesn't get updates OTA, you have to manual update it i think. It's a great app!

big one for me is iPhone doesnt support multi window. Would be great if it did

Associate

Glad some good has come of it. It's really good. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Most the problems have been fixed with updates and for the most part the phone is fine. I'll probably see it out for the next 12 months, if it lives that long, and see how the land lies. Much more hassle though and yeah I'm going to try it on with google.

Soldato
I'm having trouble deciding what to do. Upgrade to the OnePlus 7 when it comes out (which will probably be cheaper) or get the Pixel 4 (which is better for Android development).

I have plenty of time to decide, but I'm starting to think about it. The last Google phone I had was the Nexus 4 which was great and lasted a long time but it died, and I replaced it with a OnePlus 6 because at the time I couldn't afford the Pixel phones.

Soldato
I'm having trouble deciding what to do. Upgrade to the OnePlus 7 when it comes out (which will probably be cheaper) or get the Pixel 4 (which is better for Android development).

I have plenty of time to decide, but I'm starting to think about it. The last Google phone I had was the Nexus 4 which was great and lasted a long time but it died, and I replaced it with a OnePlus 6 because at the time I couldn't afford the Pixel phones.

I’m not sure how next gen the pixel 4 will be tbh, they seem to concentrate on software rather than hardware. (Still can’t believe only 4gb ram on pixel 3!)

The op7 will be our first so see what they do, reports are saying pop up front camera which will leave space for edge to edge screen and probably 2nd gen finger print scanner.

I don't take selfies so it's frustrating that there is so much focus on keeping this camera I don't ever use at the expense of screen space.

A pop up camera would be nice as it can then stay out the way forever.

Second gen finger print reader? Hopefully not under the screen. Personally I feel its a step back. What are we gaining on the back by removing it from there or the power button. What is the space now being used for instead? Nothing is the answer.

It's a gimmick

Associate
So ... having read through the entire thread ,would you guys still recommend the pixel 3 . I've had my Samsung s7 for three yrs with no issues, will it be pot luck if I for for the pixel 3 . The camera is the main reason going for the P3 as I love to capture special moments with my grand children .

Soldato
So ... having read through the entire thread ,would you guys still recommend the pixel 3 . I've had my Samsung s7 for three yrs with no issues, will it be pot luck if I for for the pixel 3 . The camera is the main reason going for the P3 as I love to capture special moments with my grand children .

I would, the camera is fantastic and the wide angle for selfies is great for capturing more. :)

The only thing I've found not great so far would be the battery life, although I'm a fairly heavy user, I am regularly reaching for a charge throughout the day but fast charge is great!

Back
Top Bottom