**** The Official Google Pixel 3 Thread ****

Associate
I would, the camera is fantastic and the wide angle for selfies is great for capturing more. :)

The only thing I've found not great so far would be the battery life, although I'm a fairly heavy user, I am regularly reaching for a charge throughout the day but fast charge is great!

I'm not to heavy of a user ,my s7 easily lasts a day it also has fast charge .

Soldato
Only worth it if the in screen FPS is as good as the one we have now on the back.

Not really. It doesn't have to be as fast or even as reliable to be useful. On my Mate 20 Pro, it will occasionally fail and it's not as fast a 'regular' FPS. That doesn't mean it's not useful being able to unlock it when it's lying on a desk.

Soldato
Not really. It doesn't have to be as fast or even as reliable to be useful. On my Mate 20 Pro, it will occasionally fail and it's not as fast a 'regular' FPS. That doesn't mean it's not useful being able to unlock it when it's lying on a desk.

It's useful Yes. Just to clarify I meant I'd only choose an in screen one over the rear only if it was in the same ballpark fast, but just as reliable. Reliability is where it falls short currently.

Being able to unlock it when it lies on a surface without picking it up?
That's an answer to a different question.

Whst are we gaining ON THE BACK.

If you want to remove the front camera, you gain screen size etc. It benefits us one way but at the cost of another. I don't see the benefit removing it from the back, a place that was totally unused

Associate
It's useful Yes. Just to clarify I meant I'd only choose an in screen one over the rear only if it was in the same ballpark fast, but just as reliable. Reliability is where it falls short currently.

OK but rear finger print readers are not flawless either. If they are significantly less reliable than what I have now on my 2XL then yeah I guess it could be irritating.

That's an answer to a different question.

Whst are we gaining ON THE BACK.

If you want to remove the front camera, you gain screen size etc. It benefits us one way but at the cost of another. I don't see the benefit removing it from the back, a place that was totally unused

OK I didn't fully see it due to skim reading :) But I still think a front reader is more convenient than on the back. Also people say that rear finger print readers are good as they're in the exact place you put your finger on the back, but I wouldn't mind betting this very process is the cause of quite a few instances of my phone being unlocked in my pocket (unproven but I have my suspicions). I doubt I'd do that as easily on a screen / front reader.

Associate
Hmmm not sure what to do lads

Contract with 'EE comes to an end soon, been offered following deals

SIM only 40gig data unlimited mins/txts £18pm (12month contract)

Or

Pixel 3 XL 20gig data unlimited mins/txts £38pm (24 month contract)

Replaced my Samsung phone (smashed screen 3 months into contract) with a pixel 2 and then moved on to a 2nd hand Pixel 2 XL because I prefer the larger phones.

20gig data is plenty for me and my XL 2 is still working fine apart from a few marks on the screen.

Extra £480 over 2 years for a new pixel 3 XL is a good deal though right?

Soldato
It's still a good phone !

I guess if you are not fussed by stock android like I am you should consider other devices like the S10 but I don't think you will go wrong with a pixel 3

Soldato
Had mine since release and to be honest I've been very underwhelmed. The camera is phenomenal if you take away that it performs pretty bad imo it's way laggier and slower than my OPO 5T and probably S7 edge.

Soldato
I've installed the update now and definitely haven't noticed any more lag with the camera app. There was that few seconds previously but wasn't too bad.

What I'll be more interested to see is whether this will in general improve performance somewhat as even although I've only had it for a few months it's been noticeably stuttering at times after long periods of use without restarting etc. It may be the 4gb of ram is the limiting factor there but I'll see how it goes.

You'd expect the Pixel to be consistently buttery smooth on pure Android but just doesn't seem to be the case at times.

Soldato
I've installed the update now and definitely haven't noticed any more lag with the camera app. There was that few seconds previously but wasn't too bad.

What I'll be more interested to see is whether this will in general improve performance somewhat as even although I've only had it for a few months it's been noticeably stuttering at times after long periods of use without restarting etc. It may be the 4gb of ram is the limiting factor there but I'll see how it goes.

You'd expect the Pixel to be consistently buttery smooth on pure Android but just doesn't seem to be the case at times.

When i had my Pixel i found that they used us owners as Beta Testers, they would fix something 1 month then bring back the issue inadvertently the following month.

The 4Gb memory is definitely a disappointment though. The only reason I'd recommend a Pixel is purely for the Camera.

Associate
I was reading a Reddit thread yesterday about the pixel 3 where it basically said it was a great camera with a mediocre phone attached. When reading the comments it was disturbing how many unhappy customers there was. Have Google learned nothing from the pixel 2 debacle? In fact there was people on there who were ex P2 owners who said the older phone actually runs better than the newer one.

I'm not staying they're all rubbish as some are obviously happy but they have definite issues and as such if I were in the market now I'd probably look at the S10 instead. My girlfriend just got an s9 plus and it's in all honesty probably a better phone than my 2xl especially with one UI on it and I think it looks decent. Having the latest updates is all well and good but not if you end up being a guinea pig for Google.

Soldato
When i had my Pixel i found that they used us owners as Beta Testers, they would fix something 1 month then bring back the issue inadvertently the following month.

The 4Gb memory is definitely a disappointment though. The only reason I'd recommend a Pixel is purely for the Camera.

I've stuck a pre-order in for the S10 from sheer impulse but considering how cheap I picked up the Pixel 3 for I'll hold onto it rather than sell it on.

Means I can see how I get on with the S10 plus a launcher on top compared to the Pixel.

I do agree though the camera is fantastic...it's mostly mediocre battery and now odd hiccup I can't get on with just now.

Back
Top Bottom