• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
It'd be disappointing from the view that the new architecture didn't make much of a difference. It'd have been the node that was giving the lower power consumption and increased clocks.
I think I'd be more impressed with there being some clocking headroom left on the table for a future iteration if they were matching the 9900K already.
Don't get me wrong, it'll be superb if it matches the 9900K regardless of how it does it, especially at significantly lower pricing. I want it to knock the 9900K out of the park, and I feel it can only do so with improved clocks AND a decent IPC bump.
I hope though that AMD have improved their architecture in such a way that latency is minimised and gaming performance sees a large bump. Maybe that's exactly what they've done as gaming performance is not just dependent on IPC.

Soldato
Ok, thanks for your input guys. I'll hold off on ram as I'm way behind on knowledge about it all. It's been years since I looked.
Still tempted to get a couple of new SSDs but if you think prices will drop further I'll hold off too.
I'll save that for another thread as don't want to clutter this up further.

Soldato
I was thinking this but the sticks I have my eye on are massive and I am concerned about cooler clearance, which I can't really test until I have a motherboard in my hands.
NH-U12/P cooler was designed in time when Intel still had memory controller as separate "North Bridge" on motherboard and DIMM slots weren't as close to CPU.
Certainly at least one DIMM slot, likely two gets covered by fan.
NH-U12S was designed to avoid that by making cooler's finstack lot denser, but 13mm slimmer to both sides of center.

And there are other coolers designed to avoid DIMM issues, and even better ones.
Scythe Mugen 5 is only step behind the best coolers on cooling per noise.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/scythe-scmg-5100-mugen-5-rev.b-cpu-cooler-hs-046-sy.html

Soldato
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ6WdkZ35Xs

Game testing 2700x vs 9900k, same clock speeds, Intel still ahead by a bit at times. That's 1080p but low/med settings.

We'll see how much Zen 2 can close the gap.

comparing clock for clock is a nice theory test but holds no value for the real world

This particular test shows the gap between the two chips narrows because a 2700x overclock is not that far away from its stock speeds, where as on the 9900k overclocks can go much higher than stock

Soldato
This particular test shows the gap between the two chips narrows because a 2700x overclock is not that far away from its stock speeds, where as on the 9900k overclocks can go much higher than stock

This test shows just how much of a steal the 2700x is tbh.

If you're spending money on the top end sku CPU and GPU, you aren't playing at 1080 medium. Unless you just have to remind yourself every day that spending £500 on the Intel CPU was actually "worth it" :p

Associate
This test shows just how much of a steal the 2700x is tbh.

If you're spending money on the top end sku CPU and GPU, you aren't playing at 1080 medium. Unless you just have to remind yourself every day that spending £500 on the Intel CPU was actually "worth it" :p

True. The other issue I saw is not specifying what timings was used for the RAM. Speed is one thing but timings is just as important. My 3266 CL14 gets about 65 ns.

https://i.imgur.com/6YvP2sF.png

With a 2080 Ti, timing makes a difference not just speed. Clearly, though, the 2700X is behind as stated many times by DG.

Soldato
I just can’t get interested in 1080P low detail benches these days, who cares? Is anyone buying 9900Ks to run minimum settings?
Apparently it's incredibly important to eSports players. Run the game looking like pants in order to hit 240fps so they're super accurate with their inputs and responses all the time. Y'know, because Johnathan Wendel made all of his money and reputation gaming at 240fps.
And because extreme fps gaming is the last quantifiable metric in which Intel retain a lead over AMD, it's is important to children and simpletons to cling on to.

Associate
Apparently it's incredibly important to eSports players. Run the game looking like pants in order to hit 240fps so they're super accurate with their inputs and responses all the time. Y'know, because Johnathan Wendel made all of his money and reputation gaming at 240fps.
And because extreme fps gaming is the last quantifiable metric in which Intel retain a lead over AMD, it's is important to children and simpletons to cling on to.

If you are measuring a thing against a thing what is more important than a number being higher than another number? May as well do no tests at all. Should we also say AMD's lead in some higher cored software is only important to children and simpletons?

Soldato
If you are measuring a thing against a thing what is more important than a number being higher than another number? May as well do no tests at all. Should we also say AMD's lead in some higher cored software is only important to children and simpletons?
By all means measure numbers, compare performance and draw conclusions based on. That's what rational people and enthusiasts do.

Clinging to a fringe use case as the last bastion of superiority and lording it as the only metric that matters over anybody who dares discuss price, performance and value is what children and simpletons do. There are plenty of such on these forums on both sides of the CPU vendor camp.

Associate
By all means measure numbers, compare performance and draw conclusions based on. That's what rational people and enthusiasts do.

Clinging to a fringe use case as the last bastion of superiority and lording it as the only metric that matters over anybody who dares discuss price, performance and value is what children and simpletons do. There are plenty of such on these forums on both sides of the CPU vendor camp.

Gaming performance is not a fringe use. Ryzen plays games just fine but it is still justifiable to get a 9900k or whatever as for some engines/games it is still faster outside of any 240hz Esports players.

Soldato
I never said gaming performance was a fringe case. I was directly replying to Minstadave as to who cares about low-quality, high FPS benchamarks. Unnecessary sarcasm on my part? Perhaps, but it doesn't negate the point.

Back
Top Bottom