Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [12th May 2019]

Soldato
Can't fix Man Utd by firing the manager. The dressing room is toxic - that team needs disbanded and rebuilt.

Not even Poch,Pep or Klopp could get over the self indulgent divas in that dressing room. They take humble players and galvanise them into your dream teams. I don't think Man Utd is fixable without a clear out - the players have been indulged for too long... To be honest , they will probably come good when split up and they have to evaluate individually but the collective mentality is toxic

Associate
Can't fix Man Utd by firing the manager. The dressing room is toxic - that team needs disbanded and rebuilt.

Not even Poch,Pep or Klopp could get over the self indulgent divas in that dressing room. They take humble players and galvanise them into your dream teams. I don't think Man Utd is fixable without a clear out - the players have been indulged for too long... To be honest , they will probably come good when split up and they have to evaluate individually but the collective mentality is toxic
Agreed but you need the right manager to rebuild after you do the culling. You can ship out Pogba, Sanchez, Lukaku, fred etc but if you've got the wrong manager you could just end up buying poorly and hovering outside the top 4 for multiple seasons.

Right now I think man u dont have the manager they need. I'd go for a complete changing of the guard, new players, new manager, new coaches new scouts etc etc.

Just grab any fairly competant manager who's built a squad for a contender and set expectations low. They could get sacked in 2-3 years but as long as the squads better than it is now it's a positive. The Manu squad is so rubbish that it probably will be 4-5 years before they can compete for anything worthwhile.

Soldato
Happy with that, deserved winners. And to sustain that momentum for so long, after reeling in Liverpool who had a comfortable lead is the sign of true champions.

The rubbish about both teams should be winners is a farce! The team who come top won because they got more points. The team who come second were second best, not champions.

Massive, massive pressure on Liverpool and Klopp in particular given his poor record of late. Could be a dreadful season all things considered if they don't lift that trophy. Free hit for Poch and Spurs even though they didn't get deserve to get past Man City IMO.

Soldato

Agreed but you need the right manager to rebuild after you do the culling. You can ship out Pogba, Sanchez, Lukaku, fred etc but if you've got the wrong manager you could just end up buying poorly and hovering outside the top 4 for multiple seasons.

Right now I think man u dont have the manager they need. I'd go for a complete changing of the guard, new players, new manager, new coaches new scouts etc etc.

Problem is that the commercial side of the club has become too important to allow the clearout and rebuild that many are asking for. The global revenues that are supported by the world stars of Lukaku, Pogba, Sanchez, Mata, augmented by the instagram wannabees Lingard, Martial mean that you have a board fighting for something that is contradictory to what is required on the pitch. I agree that the culture in the dressing room seems toxic and this is something that even top managers like Mourinho and van Gaal have failed to address. Perhaps OGS is the perfect guy for this job at this time. He has no real reputation at stake and might just have nothing to lose. He loves the club and will put that before himself.

Lets give him the next couple of months and see what ins and outs he manages. I'd be inclined to get rid of Lukaku, Pogba, Young, Rojo, Jones, Mata, Matic and possibly Lingaard ( I don't like him !) He needs to bring in 2*CB, 1 RB, 1LB, 1 CM, 1 Winger at the very least.

Soldato
As a United fan, even I have to tip my hat to Liverpool on their performances this season. Extremely unlucky timing in that the squad and indentity that Klopp has been building has come to fruition at the same time as City reaching their stride under Pep Guardiola.

I literally have no idea how we (United) go from here. How can our form as of late be so completely different to OGS' first 10 games at the helm, with the same squad? I heard people say that we only played easy teams but within that period we beat Spurs away, Arsenal & Chelsea away in the FA cup, PSG away in the Champions League and held Liverpool to a draw.

There doesn't appear to be any medium or long term plan. Appointing Solskjaer so quickly was a terrible decision, I thought he was supposed to be interim until the end of the season? That was a win:win for Ole and the board, he had a risk free stab at proving his managerial ability in the best league in the world and the board had time to assess and plan. It's almost as if they put him in, didn't discuss other options and appointed him on his first 10 games. 10 games is nothing as the season went on the prove.

Soldato
As a United fan, even I have to tip my hat to Liverpool on their performances this season. Extremely unlucky timing in that the squad and indentity that Klopp has been building has come to fruition at the same time as City reaching their stride under Pep Guardiola.

I literally have no idea how we (United) go from here. How can our form as of late be so completely different to OGS' first 10 games at the helm, with the same squad? I heard people say that we only played easy teams but within that period we beat Spurs away, Arsenal & Chelsea away in the FA cup, PSG away in the Champions League and held Liverpool to a draw.

There doesn't appear to be any medium or long term plan. Appointing Solskjaer so quickly was a terrible decision, I thought he was supposed to be interim until the end of the season? That was a win:win for Ole and the board, he had a risk free stab at proving his managerial ability in the best league in the world and the board had time to assess and plan. It's almost as if they put him in, didn't discuss other options and appointed him on his first 10 games. 10 games is nothing as the season went on the prove.

Simple- the squad had a point to prove after mourinho. Now it is swinging to firing the manager again, it is exacerbating the issue of player power.

The best teams have humble players who enjoy working hard as part of a team unit... not players thinking about their next highlight reel.

Soldato
Absolutely. But all that aside, it's a huge job and he's not necessarily the best person to do it.

I'm sure he'll get a shot though.

The weirdest thing for me was that before Ole signed the contract Man Utd were playing like Champs, as soon as Ole signed they were back to being chumps?!?

Don
I mentioned it before, from a stats point of view Utd's results when Solkjaer first took over were far better than their performances suggested they would be getting - they were definitely much improved on what they were playing like under Mourino though and what they ended up playing like in the last couple of months. The big downturn in form was before he signed the permanent deal though, the concern is how it's progressively got worse week on week to the point that they've ended up possibly worse than their lowest point under Mourino.

Soldato
Surely by now Man U fans have realised the manager isn’t the problem!
fans dont have a say... as mentioned earlier, the commercial profile of the squad is too good to ignore for the Man Utd board. Players know they have power based on their brand rather than talent/performance. It impacts the way they play (makes them selfish and lazy) but maintains their untouchable position in tthe club

Don
Why else would you keep Pogba?

As always this commercial thing gets massively overplayed. How much money do you really think Pogba earns Utd from a commercial point of view? What happened to Utd's commercial revenue when they sold Beckham or Ronaldo? Utd as a club are bigger than these players and if Pogba leaves then somebody else will become the face of Utd, just like when Beckham left and Ronaldo left. Yes the commercial department would rather keep Pogba but he really makes minimal difference to Utd's commercial success. The lost commercial revenue from missing out on the CL is far far greater than any additional revenue Pogba brings Utd from a commercial point of view - and then of course you've got the small matter £70-80m worth of CL prize money too.

Directly answering your question as to why he's still there. There's two reasons, firstly because they spent so much on him that they can't justify selling him without somebody paying them a huge amount of money. Utd as a business invested north of £100m on Pogba - both from a business and pride point of view they will not want to sell that asset for a significant loss. Secondly and this is split into two parts, as much of a **** as Pogba might be, he's also supremely talented. Given the investment Utd have made in him they're both clinging onto whatever hope they have that he might live up to his potential with them but also terrified that they sell him and he will live up to it else where.

Back
Top Bottom