Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [12th May 2019]

Soldato
looking at transfer markt the numbers are very different to what was quoted earlier btw.

10 years
Liverpool 335m
City 1070m

We talking about Klopp's team or City vs Liverpool now since ever?

I suggest in that case you keep going back and adjust for inflation in football.

Man of Honour
He didn’t win majority’s of finals he was underdog in? Shocker

Let’s see how he fares as the favourite, im sure you’ll be about if they win

I actually want Liverpool to win...

I posted in the champions league thread saying Liverpool deserve a trophy this season and it would be a travesty if they don't. So leave me alone. I'm a bitter United fan, cut me some slack :p

Associate
City have to close on decades of winning history of Liverpool after being barely average for 50 years. That takes money. Liverpool have done damn well with sales the last few years it has to be said. No doubt Spain will come knocking again for their best players and can they buy and replace as well? City fend that off to an extent by paying higher wages.

I agree FFP should be scrapped, if someone wants to come in and spend a billion on Westham and not leave the club in debt, let them. FFP just wants to keep a nice little elite club setup, old boys club.

Soldato
Caporegime
I actually want Liverpool to win...

I posted in the champions league thread saying Liverpool deserve a trophy this season and it would be a travesty if they don't. So leave me alone. I'm a bitter United fan, cut me some slack :p

Well that’s not fitting my agenda

You’re still wrong about resources involved (before I even start on ethics :D)

Associate
Well manu fans brought up 2010 so we used their baseline
and someone mentioned city only spending 300m more so thought we'd at least set it straight. It doesnt matter any way but it does sort of visualise the squad depth. Any way... a final to look forward to and another great season of football to come.

times are good

Caporegime
I'm sure this started as Klopp supposedly building a team out of pennies whilst Pep bought his.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/fuenfjahresvergleich/wettbewerb/GB1

The problem with this is that Suarez and Coutinho skew things at £200m. I wonder how many Liverpool fans are happy they got the £200m instead of keeping the players.

You can’t just ignore Liverpool had to sell what were considered their best players at the time just because city have not once ever sold a player who was important to them

Soldato
I don’t support Liverpool and I haven’t seen anyone being bitter to be honest, many of their fans have congratulated City and said the better team edged it...
A few comments about their infinite funds is what started people off.

All this talk of net spend is pretty pointless at the end of the day. Klopp has spent wonderfully there's no denying that, but he's still spent more than most teams outside of the top 6 can even imagine spending in 10 years. As a Villa fan it's like watching someone with a net worth of $500m complaining that a billionaire has too much money :p.

Soldato
You can’t just ignore Liverpool had to sell what were considered their best players at the time just because city have not once ever sold a player who was important to them

Neither were Klopp's signings. Why does he get the credit for that money?

I'm not saying Liverpool have spent more than City. But the idea Klopp didn't have a massive budget for signings is patently false.

Don
Trent broke the record for assists from a defender in the PL this season but probably more impressive is Robertson who, 1 assist behind, equalled the previous record and unlike Trent and the previous holders of that record, he doesn't take set-plays. Another surprising stat - Mane equalled the record for the most headed goals in a season.

Man of Honour
This is why I'm delighted City won the league, Liverpool fans are insufferable. They are already making excuses. I hope they get battered in the final too but they won't, I can see them comfortably winning that despite Klopps record

Bit of a harsh generalisation. I'm a Liverpool fan and I feel like my posts have been very reasonable in this thread, certainly a long long way away from being insufferable.

Soldato
Man of Honour
Just looking around and it appears most Man Utd fans want Solskjaer out, for real. :eek:

I just think it was crazy to hand him the job so early. He did well for a couple of months but why not give him as long as possible just in case a big drop off happens, as it has done...

Soldato
Trent broke the record for assists from a defender in the PL this season but probably more impressive is Robertson who, 1 assist behind, equalled the previous record and unlike Trent and the previous holders of that record, he doesn't take set-plays. Another surprising stat - Mane equalled the record for the most headed goals in a season.
Didn't Trent equal him against Newcastle and then get another 2 today? Or does the deflected cross not count?

Man of Honour

And even more amazing is when you consider the combined cost for TAA and Robertson.

Soldato
They skew things a bit, but even ignoring those sales we've spent £200m less than City?

True. I'm not disputing that.

However, Klopp hasn't run a balanced budget as some are making out here.

He inherited two players worth £200m and spend another £200m on top.

I have no doubt he will spend another £100m net this summer.

Back
Top Bottom