Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [12th May 2019]

Soldato
The amazing thing for the Liverpool and City teams is that there are so many areas in each which could be improved.

Liverpool's central midfield is weak area for them, whilst City's wingbacksa defence in general are below the rest of the team.

They are astounding team units

Soldato
I propose a point being deducted for every £10m in the transfer value of your players.

This is how the table should look. :D

Team - Pts - Fee x10m - Final Points
Wolves 57 12 45
Tottenham 71 35 36
Watford 50 15 35
Liverpool 97 63 34
Newcastle 45 12 33
Arsenal 70 38 32
Bournemouth 45 14 31
West Ham 52 22 30
Crystal Palace 49 21 28
Burnley 40 12 28
Cardiff 34 6 28
Leicester 52 25 27
Brighton 36 14 22
Everton 54 35 19
Southampton 39 23 16
Chelsea 72 60 12
Man City 98 87 11
Fulham 26 15 11
Huddersfield 16 10 6
Man Utd 66 70 -4

Looks fair.

Don
Neither were Klopp's signings. Why does he get the credit for that money?

I'm not saying Liverpool have spent more than City. But the idea Klopp didn't have a massive budget for signings is patently false.
Everything is relative. Compared to Spurs and every side outside the top 6 then yes, Liverpool have spent huge amounts but compared to City we haven't.
Didn't Trent equal him against Newcastle and then get another 2 today? Or does the deflected cross not count?
You might be right. The PL site maybe hasn't fully updated yet as they've got it 12 - 11.

Soldato
I propose a point being deducted for every £10m in the transfer value of your players.

This is how the table should look. :D

Team - Pts - Fee x10m - Final Points
Wolves 57 12 45
Tottenham 71 35 36
Watford 50 15 35
Liverpool 97 63 34
Newcastle 45 12 33
Arsenal 70 38 32
Bournemouth 45 14 31
West Ham 52 22 30
Crystal Palace 49 21 28
Burnley 40 12 28
Cardiff 34 6 28
Leicester 52 25 27
Brighton 36 14 22
Everton 54 35 19
Southampton 39 23 16
Chelsea 72 60 12
Man City 98 87 11
Fulham 26 15 11
Huddersfield 16 10 6
Man Utd 66 70 -4

Looks fair.

Well use the last summer+winter transfer values at least. See how that works out.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/fuenfjahresvergleich/wettbewerb/GB1

Soldato
Well I can't pretend that wasn't the preferred outcome today, couldn't have stomached a Liverpool title win. Having said that, Liverpool have been phenomenal all season and deserve a trophy, they've got to be heavy favourites for the CL. I can only see a City vs Liverpool race for the title again next season, but it would be amazing if the standard was this high again.

As for United, we're a complete disgrace and an embarrassment, it's going to take years to sort out. Hopefully OGS and co take the first steps this summer with some solid signings.

Caporegime
Neither were Klopp's signings. Why does he get the credit for that money?

I'm not saying Liverpool have spent more than City. But the idea Klopp didn't have a massive budget for signings is patently false.

I mean that’s kinda irrelevant? Most of City’s important players, Aguero/Sterling/Fernandinho/Silva, weren’t signed by Pep? Is that important?

He’s had a good budget yes, lost his best prospect before joining and then lost his best player at a point also. Something city never face the threat off bar injury where they bring on cheap replacements like Sane, Gundogan, Ottamendi, Mahrez

Man of Honour
I mean that’s kinda irrelevant? Most of City’s important players, Aguero/Sterling/Fernandinho/Silva, weren’t signed by Pep? Is that important?

He’s had a good budget yes, lost his best prospect before joining and then lost his best player at a point also. Something city never face the threat off bar injury where they bring on cheap replacements like Sane, Gundogan, Ottamendi, Mahrez

Squad depth is one of Citys biggest strengths, they've got a second string 11 which could probably be a top 6 team in itself.

Soldato
Squad depth is one of Citys biggest strengths, they've got a second string 11 which could probably be a top 6 team in itself.
This.

For me, Liverpool need to prioritise signing a striker who's better than Origi and can offer something different off the bench, and signing (or bringing through) a young left back for injuries to Robinson.

Edit: and a replacement for Lallana

Associate
This.

For me, Liverpool need to prioritise signing a striker who's better than Origi and can offer something different off the bench, and signing (or bringing through) a young left back for injuries to Robinson.

Edit: and a replacement for Lallana
Would argue it's more replacing Sturridge but Origi can stay.

Maybe some more depth in the middle 2. Milner might be retiring/ leaving and hendersons probably nearing the end. Keita might secure a starting spot but still to be confirmed, he needs to stay fit for a change.

Soldato
Pathetic attempt? Yeah ok...you can use net spend if you like, either way, I was
talking about what you've spent.

This is why I'm delighted City won the league, Liverpool fans are insufferable. They are already making excuses. I hope they get battered in the final too but they won't, I can see them comfortably winning that despite Klopps record

You have been the most bitter sounding git in here the past two weeks, you just judge supporters as if there all the same which is what your repeatedly doing now

Soldato
Pathetic attempt? Yeah ok...you can use net spend if you like, either way, I was
talking about what you've spent.

This is why I'm delighted City won the league, Liverpool fans are insufferable. They are already making excuses. I hope they get battered in the final too but they won't, I can see them comfortably winning that despite Klopps record

You have been the most bitter sounding git in here the past two weeks, you just judge supporters as if there all the same which is what your repeatedly doing now

Soldato
Just looking around and it appears most Man Utd fans want Solskjaer out, for real. :eek:

I just think it was crazy to hand him the job so early. He did well for a couple of months but why not give him as long as possible just in case a big drop off happens, as it has done...
There was a daft rumour prior to ko saying if you lost he was gone tbf

Don
The rest of the 'big 6' (it really should be a big 2 and medium 4) continued their incredible form of late - it's now just 3 wins from a combined 20 games. In all seriousness, that genuinely is incredible. To put that into perspective, in the same period (5 games each) Wolves, West Ham, Newcastle, Palace and even Fulham have the same amount of wins alone as they have combined.

Associate
Just looking around and it appears most Man Utd fans want Solskjaer out, for real. :eek:

I just think it was crazy to hand him the job so early. He did well for a couple of months but why not give him as long as possible just in case a big drop off happens, as it has done...

Agreed on all counts, and it would be a little insane to sack him now, but at this rate OGS could be gone by Christmas. Hypothetical: say Pochettino was available and interested, Spurs win the CL and he wants out - do you miss out on that opportunity after our recent form? In reality Poch is likely to head to PSG or Barca if he goes, they'll both be looking, but you'd have to at least ask yourself the question re: OGS if you're the United board.

You have to hope he comes good, but if he persists with this affinity for British players based on a core of Jones and Smalling, I don't see it turning out well. Recruit Daniel James, Sancho, Alan Shearer would be better than this lot, but if we start next season with any of those 3 (+ Young) in our first choice back line... You'd have hoped to see his hand a little today regarding next season, bench Young at the very least, play a youngster, the cleaning lady... anyone, but it was same old after weeks (years) of garbage.

Back
Top Bottom