Epic Games Store now open!

Man of Honour
So a load of games have been pulled from the sale :D - so you are either in the sale, or can’t sell your game at all. Wow.That’ll teach the greedy developers.

Basically epic have put the games on there for full price (including launch titles) with all associates benefits and have now slashed their value in half.

Caporegime

Not sure what’s funny, first they shaft the consumer with bribery and exclusivity, while offering the developer/publisher a bigger stake (this is fine, btw).

Then they shaft the developers by devaluing their games, I can only assume there’s been some mismanagement here, but come on.

Valve could get away with it for awhile because they had an increasingly broad back catalog that you could apply heavy discounts for to drum up some revenue, while epic is pretty much just a bunch of new games.

Just kinda dumb really, they simply aren’t winning favour and they never will at this rate.

Soldato
Excuse my blissful ignorance, but can someone explain the hate towards Epic? Seriously I haven't a clue.

Epic cant win. People complained they weren't passing on savings to consumers. Now they discount games (with the bulk of it coming from epic) and people are complaining they are devaluing developer sales. I'm sure there is a reason to be upset but frankly I have bigger things to worry about. Some of the prices seem quite good.

Caporegime
How is it devaluing games? The price of the game hasn't changed, its just Epic are putting their own money towards the sale. I don't get this outcry.

You see a price for a game, surely you’d rather wait for if it came up again, no?

It’s creating an expectation of value, on newly released games, now tbh they did say that the reduced cost of servicing would mean they ‘could’ be cheaper... but that should be the developers sole choice.

You could say valve did this (by having their repetitive sale structure), but not in this manner they didn’t, as those have focused on catalogs for which the revenue has become negligible.

I don’t really care at this point, they can falter all they like.

Soldato
Epic cant win. People complained they weren't passing on savings to consumers. Now they discount games (with the bulk of it coming from epic) and people are complaining they are devaluing developer sales. I'm sure there is a reason to be upset but frankly I have bigger things to worry about. Some of the prices seem quite good.
How is it devaluing games? The price of the game hasn't changed, its just Epic are putting their own money towards the sale. I don't get this outcry.

I could be wrong, but I don't think people here are necessarily complaining that they are devaluing these games, but rather are explaining why these publishers took the decision to pull their games during the sale.

Associate
Excuse my blissful ignorance, but can someone explain the hate towards Epic? Seriously I haven't a clue.

I suppose their a bit paranoid...''Ooh, their out to get me'' brigade. Plus, the ''give nothing, take it all'' steam are their...sort of surrogate. Bit weird, but still, who cares.

Soldato
Jesus the fact that some gamers are turning epic kicking in £10 of their own cash into an "epic are killing pc gaming" rant proves to me it does not matter what they do. To some people it isn't valve so they simply can't give epic any slack at all. Don't get me wrong I don't agree with everything epic have done but really... FGS!.
Unisoft are doing a similar thing, I am 99% certain valve have done a similar deal in the past (I took advantage myself) but because it's epic it's bad. If this isn't passing savings onto the customer I do not know what is .

Edit. Valve discount here
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/steam-lunar-sale-deals-cheap-games-we-recommend/

Soldato
Nice to see the people not understanding why Epic's practices towards consumers were bad also failing to understand why this latest move is so unpalatable to the developers/publishers - keep it up guys!

Frankly I'm glad that the developers jumping into bed with Epic for a big bag of cash have in some cases now been burned by this stupid move... weren't Epic and all of their staunch apologists saying that they were putting developers first? Interesting choice devaluing their IPs (in some cases prior to launch) without even thinking of consulting any of the affected parties. I guess they thought the bags of cash they were throwing around were so huge they had carte blanche to do whatever they wanted

Soldato
So how is this any different than what steam did in the February sale? Sure the numbers were different but the basics were the same, £5 of any title you wanted on the steam store over £25 iirc. IF you have an issue with the principle of it then you should surely have issue with valve doing it? And yet I remember no sure complaints from users then and afaik steam didn't even allow developers to pull their games from the store if they wanted.
If you are trying to argue £10 is bad but £5 is good, that sounds a bit arbitrary to me I would like to see the maths behind it.

Btw I used my discount to buy the gold edition of strange brigade which iirc was fairly new back then

Soldato
So how is this any different than what steam did in the February sale? Sure the numbers were different but the basics were the same, £5 of any title you wanted on the steam store over £25 iirc. IF you have an issue with the principle of it then you should surely have issue with valve doing it? And yet I remember no sure complaints from users then and afaik steam didn't even allow developers to pull their games from the store if they wanted.
If you are trying to argue £10 is bad but £5 is good, that sounds a bit arbitrary to me I would like to see the maths behind it.

Btw I used my discount to buy the gold edition of strange brigade which iirc was fairly new back then

With the risk of repeating myself, it's the developers who have an issue with it, people here are simply observing that.

Soldato
I bought The Walking Dead, season 3 & 4, since I didn't have them on Steam. And I also got Subnautica: Below Zero. Was putting off getting that while it was in early access, but for £5.49 I'm willing to pick it up now.

Back
Top Bottom