Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
Meh.
Better than some of other episodes.
Bran the wildcard for the vote. By everyone for some reason

Really They made their own bed in previous episodes. Not much else they could have done.

As before, I'd have bought the blu Ray box set before season 8.after season 8 in not going to.

Basically I'll never watch it again

Caporegime
Meh.
Better than some of other episodes.
Bran the wildcard for the vote. By everyone for some reason

Really They made their own bed in previous episodes. Not much else they could have done.

As before, I'd have bought the blu Ray box set before season 8.after season 8 in not going to.

Basically I'll never watch it again

Anti climax really sums It up.
Best bit was visuals and the sound track

Associate
I feel so let down by this season. I've watched the series over 5 times now, read the books to end on that drivel. The first 1/3 was brilliant, some of the shots like Drogon on the walls with Dany stood there were brilliant. But Bran as king, and him saying it was what he was here for? Then to say don't worry I'll find Drogon? Really?

Caporegime
Alright, but where were those 30,000 in the Battle of Winterfell? All we saw were the whole of the Dothraki troops charging in and several running back. Where were these 30,000 hiding when they all got inside the walls and were marching over to Bran?

I presumed they routed during the charge. But, yeah, it wasn't well explained. The numbers make sense, or are rather high, given real battles, but the cinematics of showing the charge took precedence over explaining what happened, I think.

Soldato
That just felt emotionless to me, I'm baffled how they managed to mess this season up so much.

They rushed it. Instead of the characters driving the story, they ended up with the story driving the characters' actions (no matter how silly) in order to hit the plot points they needed to hit.

In the end, they had to "break the wheel" properly. That meant removing the throne altogether, and getting rid of the King/Queen in everything but name. Just leaving Dany on the Throne saying she's good, while she's running a holy jihad to rule the world isn't enough. Everything that happens in series 8 is just a rush to make that ending happen.

Soldato
I wanted Dany left on the throne, after attempts on her life by Arya and perhaps Jon, it would have finished with that look in her eye that you knew meant she had become her father and it was all for nothing with the wheel continuing as it ever has.

On a side note, there was just no way the Unsullied being as fanatical as they were would have acted like they did. They would have trashed the place, killed everyone and left.

Poor ending for me overall.

Soldato
Barathion's shouldn't have been on the throne to start with surely?

Robert's Great Grandfather was Aegon V.

It was no accident that Robert ascended to the throne. Pretty sure he remarks about how he wasn't really the best choice. But that didn't matter; he a had a distant, but legitimate claim. It gave the rebellion some legitimacy. Eddard Stark would have been a good King. But Eddard Start didn't have the right blood line.

He and Dany are second cousins.

Soldato
Whatever else happened in the episode, this was the highlight for me.

9oAflND.gif

Agreed I was very impressed with that scene.

As regards to the rest of the episode, this second just rolled the credits and I really do not know what to think at all. I can’t say I liked it, can’t say I didn’t like it. It certainly didn’t satisfy how I expected it to end at all.

It just left for me too much unanswered questions. Too much things that didn’t make much sense. Seems Jon made the choice thinking he was the rightful heir and drew the shortest straw of them all to spend the rest of his life probably hated, forgotten and alone at the knights watch.

It also hit me pretty hard, although I expected it. To see dany die and the reaction of Drogon after 8 years of the show.

Associate
Loved it to be honest, not the series on whole but this episode. Near perfect ending for me.

People are going full Star Wars on this and I think for the same reason. They had Skywalkers story mapped out in their heads and the writers decided different. Que the rage. Everyone had an opinion of what they wanted and expected for the ending of this, people got different to the picture painted in their heads and they lose the plot. Very few long running series finish to peoples hopes/picture built up. Series I've loved like Broadwalk Empire, Sopranos left me unsatisfied with the end episodes or even last series.

They have left it open nicely, they tied up what needed and can revisit this if they want. Yeah the writing doesn't make sense in places but it's a fantasy story and people pick everything apart these days. I appreciate it for the TV spectacle it was.

Can't wait to buy the box set and binge through start to finish. When you all finish going Last Jedi on the thread, calm down and rewatch this through I think it will stand up better.

9/10 for me as an ending, 7/10 for the series.

Man of Honour
When you all finish going Last Jedi on the thread, calm down and rewatch this through I think it will stand up better.

I'm sorry, but if you don't think this final season was a rushed mess, you must be watching a different show to me. It's plain as day. Such a pity they pretty much gave up on the story and let the CGI do the work for the final season.

Caporegime
So much time wasting.

The bit where Tyrion arranging the chairs...pointless.

The bit Jon tried to stop the executing to show the Unsullied is still behind their queen, pointless.

Tons of long camera shots of Tyrion’s face, too many shots that lingered.

Most of all, then they rushed it between her slaughtering everyone in the last episode and Jon putting a knife through her heart. The only thing happened in between was her speech, was that meant to show that she is still war hungry and gone mad?

It felt like the next scene and then she was dead, totally lame for 7 years of build up.

After all that they really tripped over themselves at the hurdle.

Meh.

Caporegime
Loved it to be honest, not the series on whole but this episode. Near perfect ending for me.

People are going full Star Wars on this and I think for the same reason. They had Skywalkers story mapped out in their heads and the writers decided different. Que the rage. Everyone had an opinion of what they wanted and expected for the ending of this, people got different to the picture painted in their heads and they lose the plot. Very few long running series finish to peoples hopes/picture built up. Series I've loved like Broadwalk Empire, Sopranos left me unsatisfied with the end episodes or even last series.

They have left it open nicely, they tied up what needed and can revisit this if they want. Yeah the writing doesn't make sense in places but it's a fantasy story and people pick everything apart these days. I appreciate it for the TV spectacle it was.

Can't wait to buy the box set and binge through start to finish. When you all finish going Last Jedi on the thread, calm down and rewatch this through I think it will stand up better.

9/10 for me as an ending, 7/10 for the series.

The series is literally called game of thrones, the whole premise was started off as political theatre around gaining the throne... they guy who 'won' the game, said about 5 sentences in the entire series, hadn't done anything interested in 3-4 years and wasn't even a big player before then. In terms of his 'playing the game' you could say a couple of his sentences were important but they basically picked a character who had his character traits and personality removed several seasons earlier and might be the dullest character in the whole thing.. but he won, woooo.

The only thing I think people are too hung up on and the ONLY thing the show almost did right, but in a hamfisted and stupid way, was the succession thing. People need to not care who deserved to be on the throne, deserved and heirs are pointless. Game of Thrones was about conquering. Succession doesn't mean much of anything unless everything is at perfect peace and the king dies of natural causes then goes to the next in line. However no country, land or planet in the world has to till their species is extinct follow a line of succession. If they decide inheriting the throne is bad and decide to stop simply letting first born men sit on the throne then that's fine. If someone comes along and kills Bran, they've won the throne, they've defeated armies and get to be the leader, they don't go, but were you related to someone 400 years ago who sat on the throne, its about power and armies are how you express your power.

The show even, and this is the part they got a little bit right, said that succession is bad, we need to pick a capable and right ruler rather than let a bunch of inbred twits have the throne due to who their daddy was. The bad thing they did was picked a ruler who had no experience, has essentially no personality, had changed completely, that no one knew if he was sane, crazy or could potentially be a good leader or not. "he had the best story"... because he went north of the wall and survived a fall, lol. If you're doing away with succession and picking a righteous leader which is a good thing, then turn around and say this kid has a good story but we have zero evidence he could be a good leader, lets pick him, it's absurd.

Also as they blew up succession (which is fine) and decided to vote for leaders (great) but created a situation in which they can pick terrible leaders with no way to get them off the throne... it's as bad as before. Bad leader stacks the houses and who gets the vote and votes in their son. They literally had Sam suggest a democracy, laughed at him but could have said we'll pick a new king every 10 years through vote and that would have at least somewhat really fixed the problem with people believing they had a right to the throne and starting wars over it. Instead they created a new equally bad system.

Back
Top Bottom