1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Hostile_18, Aug 3, 2009.

?

Who will rule Westeros?

Poll closed May 18, 2019.
  1. Daenerys Targaryen

6.8%
  2. Jon Snow / Aegon Targaryen

30.8%
  3. Sansa Stark

13.8%
  4. Arya Stark

8.1%
  5. Bran Stark

2.1%
  6. Sam Tarley

3.0%
  7. Tyrion Lannister

9.8%
  8. Jamie Lannister

0.8%
  9. Cersei Lannister

2.1%
  10. Gendry

10.8%
  11. Brienne of Tarth

1.3%
  12. The Night King

4.9%
  13. Other (please specify)

5.7%
  1. drunkenmaster

Caporegime

It is if writing is bad and one of the key goals of the writers seems to be... make sure you give the fans nothing they want.

Picking the most boring, uncharismatic, unproven person in the entire show to be king was, absurd, and they did it just to subvert expectations again, not because he made the most sense.

2. Kyo

Mobster

What on earth were they thinking. Lazy writing which could have been so much more. The prophecy, plot points all flushed down the drain. It's a tragedy.

3. ZG002

Capodecina

I don't even know what to say.

4. Tombstone

Capodecina

And written by Mickey Mouse

5. SPG

Soldato

It just felt rushed, no explanation of the old gods, the god of light, the prophecy the pretty dire knight king so many more things needed explaining.

But it what it is, maybe a Aria spin off and its done now :(

6. Kirby Wurm

Hitman

I'm with you. It had been steadily declining for several seasons but this was indescribable. I'm struggling to think of a worse ending.

7. neoboy

Capodecina

Dinklage is the best :D

8. Random Guy Esq.

Wise Guy

The six seasons total of this show were magnificent (although it waned a little towards the end). Just a shame HBO couldn't come up with the budget to make seasons 7 and 8.

Hopefully one of The Witcher, The Mandalorian, Watchmen, Westworld 3 will be worth watching.

9. ricid

Gangster

So bad. I don't think the Bran thing is necessarily a terrible end, but if that's how things are meant to go, it feels like they've left out a couple of books worth of build up and replaced it with two short conversations about the power of storytelling.
    Plot holes all over the place - why would the unsullied execute soldiers for fighting on the wrong side then just imprison the person who killed their Queen?
    Thought it was a shame they took the whole Drogo/Drogon thing that's been subtley played throughout & bludgeoned us over the head with it. And nobody needs their symbolism as overt as literally melting the iron throne. Good grief.
    Sansa's "sit down" was great & Peter Dinklage did an incredible job with what he was given, but urrrrrrrrgh.

10. ZG002

Capodecina

This isn't on HBO.. it's fully on dumber and dumber.

11. Random Guy Esq.

Wise Guy

Think you missed the joke/jibe.

12. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

It was a lot of wasted time that felt like padding, time better used to support the decisions of the characters instead. It’s 80mins episode, there are movies of that length out there so there’s time to resolve character arcs had they used the time wisely.

Not just this episode but previous ones, a lot of scenes are pointless, Jamie bang and run with Briene was what?! Pointless. Arya getting horny, really? What did that really do in the scheme of things? 20 mins of them drinking at the start of ep 4, no need. I swear there is about an hour of wasted screen time for padding. Time better spent for story, in getting them to where they got to in the end. I don’t hate the decisions but how they got there.

13. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

I can relate to Drogon. He’s just like, yup, screw this **** and leaves :D

14. ZG002

Capodecina

I did kind of see it and think, is he?

Guess so lol

15. chroniclard

Capodecina

Quite liked that ending, wasn't too bad at all. :) Shame they couldn't do at least 12 shows this season though, would have tied up more loose ends and not be as rushed.

16. Random Guy Esq.

Wise Guy

I'm not good with subtlety :p

17. Steedie

Man of Honour

Hilariously bad episode. An hour of filler. What on earth were they thinking? Possibly the worst ending to any show ever

18. Mr Jack

Capodecina

You do realise they were behind all the other parts you liked too.

19. ancientmariner

Hitman

I have had a bit of time to digest this and have rewatched the episode this evening. It was always going to be a task to wrap this up, even harder to wrap it up and satisfy the majority of the fan base. The biggest underlying issue with this season, for me, was they simply tried to pack too much into it. We have grown very accustomed to thrones taking it's time moving the plot forward and to go from that approach to the direction they took in Season 8 is a big change. HBO had asked the showrunners to do 10 seasons but they refused, they may well have had enough and wanted to move on from the show but I suspect trying to sell the idea of 2 more seasons to various members of the cast would have been impossible. Particularly with Kit harington who clearly couldn't wait to move on to new things. The ending wasn't the problem for me, how we got to it was. I felt over the past 6 episodes that there was some questionable editing happening but it wasn't the edit, it was how quickly they dealt with majot plot points and how many they threw at the viewer in each episode. Danys descent into madness is a great illustration of that, despite the major losses she suffered throughout the season, her character wasn't fleshed out enough to justify the radical change in her behaviour. There have been red flags all the way through the show to illustrate she was capable of great levels of destruction but the way it was presented this season never felt right. Jamies character is another example, his decision to return to kings landing felt out of place, again, due to the self imposed time restraints of having 6 episodes to tell the story. Thrones never felt rushed until season 8.

A 2nd watch of the finale is a bit easier to digest but the pacing of the story has left alot of people disspointed. It is a shame but I dont regret any of the time or love i invested into the show over the years, I will happily rewatch the series again but the final season will always be the low point.

20. ricid

Gangster

I think the whole Arya thing is supposed to be about her choosing life over death - she more or less literally kills the God of Death and is finally pulled back from the brink by the hound, who's been kept alive by the lord of light. Her & Gendry is probably supposed to be a point on that arc but the whole thing was so clumsily executed it just felt like she went from badass to wilderness explorer on a whim.

Jamie really makes no sense though. They basically confirm he's not changed one bit, then have Brienne doting on him. Feels wrong for both of them.

21. kindai

Soldato

HBO would of thrown the money at them to do 14 (I think it was?) seasons if they needed.

The option to cut it short was entirely down to D&D wanting to get over to disney...

Though if thats a joke post, a smiley would of been better :p