• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
Linus Torvalds is commenting on the AMD launch? At least he might actually have a clue what he was talking about.

For the record I also used to work in a PC shop and could, given the money, hire people who know what they are talking about (ok at least half the time). Doesn't make ME someone worth listening to does it?
Nah some YouTube "celebrity" reviewer also called Linus. Not the Linux kernel guy!

Caporegime
6 core, OC to max and get a better GPU or monitor to compliment it/ spend savings on
Not with the new consoles having 8 Zen2 cores (not some crappy Jaguar mobile part).

Plus PC gamers have got Windows +assorted crapware sitting on top.

GL with your 6-core CPU in the coming years, not even being able to match the console experience. No thanks!

Soldato
Calmed down a bit from my am posting. .500 is a fair wack of cash, but you have to admit... That perf for the money if you do more than just gaming is stunning. (Even if it is higher than expected).

Not surprised. Lisa herself said years ago in a presentation that they wanted to be seen as a premium brand (in short they would be upping prices)

Soldato
Not with the new consoles having 8 Zen2 cores (not some crappy Jaguar mobile part).

GL with your 6-core CPU in the coming years, not even being able to match the console experience. No thanks!

just because a console has 8 cores, and they are Zen2 will equal a same or higher quality Console port to PC.

currently consoles are multicore X86 and ports are just useless. also with console history , it takes a while to get to grips with coding for consoles, about half way through its cycle, by the end of it, truly amazing coding is performed to get stunning games at the end of their life ( Have a BA honors in Games design and few years working with Developer kits from son/ms)

Plus 80% of games on steam are max 2 cores, most common cpu is i3 2 core 4 thread by about 70% if i can recall .

a perfect coded game scales well , so far only games to do that are Lost Planet 2 and 3 - dream right there for next gen gaming

and by the time PS5 comes out, PC Master race will be on higher cores, faster speeds, faster ram, better GPUs, ray tracing, deep learning etc - and games will still be 4 cores at most pmsl

Soldato
My bet is on a 12core piece to be 4,2-4,3 all core boost with single core boost of around 4,5-4,6. If that comes true and we get the 15% improvement to IPC on top of it i would certainly change my 2600 to a 12 core Zen 2 chip if my b450 can handle it. The only reason why I think we might see higher clocked chips in general is because TMSC's seems a more capable fab company than GloFO.

I have to do this.. sorry folks.. but darn im good.

Soldato

How will it not match the console experience? You do know that PCs can be paired with an uber powerful discrete GPU too :confused:

Caporegime
I was all aboard the hype train until Linus said, 'all the motherboards have a fan'. Erm. No thanks. Also, for 11 watts is a fan really needed? The Surface Pro from 2017 used a 15 watt CPU and was fanless. PCs kinda have a load of air going through it. Kill the fan please.

you changed your mind on the whole thing because Linus said he doesn't like the fans?

Associate
6 core, OC to max and get a better GPU or monitor to compliment it/ spend savings on

I already have a 6 core, albeit the first gen. Unless the new 6 cores overclock like crazy I think I would be better off spying a 2700x deal and waiting for the prices of Zen 2 to drop.

I am expecting the mboards to be silly money this release.

This is another reason I am pulling out from the 12 core. Not expecting these motherboard to be cheap.

Soldato
I already have a 6 core, albeit the first gen. Unless the new 6 cores overclock like crazy I think I would be better off spying a 2700x deal and waiting for the prices of Zen 2 to drop.

This is another reason I am pulling out from the 12 core. Not expecting these motherboard to be cheap.

ah fair enough, goign from 6 cores to 6 cores i would expect over 1ghz increase in speed .

think x570 entry boards are £115

Gigabyte pulled off the Cheap UD with more phases then most z390, x470 and z370 buy using lots of cheaper mosfet units .

Permabanned

just because a console has 8 cores, and they are Zen2 will equal a same or higher quality Console port to PC.

currently consoles are multicore X86 and ports are just useless. also with console history , it takes a while to get to grips with coding for consoles, about half way through its cycle, by the end of it, truly amazing coding is performed to get stunning games at the end of their life ( Have a BA honors in Games design and few years working with Developer kits from son/ms)

Plus 80% of games on steam are max 2 cores, most common cpu is i3 2 core 4 thread by about 70% if i can recall .

a perfect coded game scales well , so far only games to do that are Lost Planet 2 and 3 - dream right there for next gen gaming

and by the time PS5 comes out, PC Master race will be on higher cores, faster speeds, faster ram, better GPUs, ray tracing, deep learning etc - and games will still be 4 cores at most pmsl

You get 100% load on your six-core CPUs. Comment.

YdeEPMc.jpg

Associate
6 cores is fine for gaming for a couple years imo, 4/8 is still okish and your forgetting consoles reserve a core or two for os aswell as being clocked low due to heat/power constraints
They're not just going to slap a 3700x into the ps5, it'll be a cut down apu at sub 3ghz

Back
Top Bottom