• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
SiSoftware Overview Comparison:

Ryzen 3900X:
Processor Arithmetic: 416.43GOPS
Processor Multi-Media: 1274.07Mpix/s
Processor Cryptography (High Security): 21.47GB/s

i9900k:
Processor Arithmetic: 303.56GOPS
Processor Multi-Media: 792.38Mpix/s
Processor Cryptography (High Security): 14.67GB/s

Permabanned
Coal dust was main candidate for early diesel engines. Flour dust in mills has caused many fires and even explosions. Thermite is in essence metal dust.
But no, household dust will not cause your PC to catch fire. Overheat and make noise, yes.
The density of those particles must be in specific range for self-sustaining burn. And something must ignite it the first place.
By dust I'm talking about those things
39880175-dust-ball-over-a-white-background-house-dust-can-produce-allergies.jpg

Last time when i was cleanign hes pc those ware inside... Now add spark that NORMALLY wont do anything and you have something that will ignite instantly.

Permabanned
Just a quick comparison from browsing the database.

i9900K:

Multi-Media Integer 1095.56Mpix/s
Multi-Media Long-int 467.95Mpix/s
Multi-Media Quad-int 7.58Mpix/s
Multi-Media Single-float 1065.02Mpix/s
Multi-Media Double-float 632.94Mpix/s
Multi-Media Quad-float 25.51Mpix/s

Ryzen 2700X:

Multi-Media Integer 570.09Mpix/s
Multi-Media Long-int 193.88Mpix/s
Multi-Media Quad-int 5.87Mpix/s
Multi-Media Single-float 609.39Mpix/s
Multi-Media Double-float 344.77Mpix/s
Multi-Media Quad-float 15.84Mpix/s

Ryzen 3900X:

Multi-Media Integer 1480.27Mpix/s
Multi-Media Long-int 562.00Mpix/s
Multi-Media Quad-int 9.70Mpix/s
Multi-Media Single-float 1515.27Mpix/s
Multi-Media Double-float 922.04Mpix/s
Multi-Media Quad-float 35.83Mpix/s
This looks good

Soldato
I wouldnt if I were you. You get 100mhz higher boost for 30 watt tdp more which to me sounds like less effecient dies. That said, could still be a solid overclocker, time will tell.
There's no question that higher clocked higher SKU gets better binning.

And at stock 3700X is going to have lot worser boost clocks when number of loaded threads rises.
Just like in case of 2700X vs 2700, or 2600X vs 2600.
Heck, for gaming at stock 2600X is better than 2700 with lot better maintaining of boost clocks because of more TDP room.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-5-2600/16.html
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-5-2600,5625.html

Soldato
The console versions will be nerfed compared to the full fat desktop cpu’s.
You think AMD starts crippling something in core chiplets?
Clock speeds are sure lower to fit into tighter TDP, but that's it.
But as counterbalance consoles don't have all the bloatware of Wintoys10 PC on background and game code is written and more optimized for the hardware.
People are limiting PCs already with RGB garbage:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/goto/post?id=32822100#post-32822100

And while memory type is open there's certainly going to be optimization in memory system.
If they go for monolithic APU type chip, then it's custom design.
And I don't think they'll use normal Ryzen IO chiplet either.

But no, household dust will not cause your PC to catch fire.
Most household dust is organic.
And dried organic stuff tends to be combustible.
So question is only about needed amount of it and ignition source.

Associate
But has it? It's got 50% more cores than the 9900K.
That was in my mind while I was looking at the scores. We can all agree that they cost the same technically so 3900X is a better bang for your buck. Intel is going to cut the prices by 15% according to leaked information, which would then make it cheaper (I think), but that shows how Intel has been taking advantage of consumers all this time and charging extra because there was no competition. My money is certainly not going to said company.

Caporegime
That was in my mind while I was looking at the scores. We can all agree that they cost the same technically so 3900X is a better bang for your buck. Intel is going to cut the prices by 15% according to leaked information, which would then make it cheaper (I think), but that shows how Intel has been taking advantage of consumers all this time and charging extra because there was no competition. My money is certainly not going to said company.

Intel dropping prices in response to competition is normal. Every company will price according to competition, that's business. AMD could sell cheaper but they have a better product so prices have crept up. I dont see it as particularly evil or surprising.

Associate
Well now it looks like you have a choice over the 9900k
You can get a much cheaper 8 core from AMD on a much more modern and secure platform that will perform as well in single threaded action as the 9900 and a bit better in multi or a 12 core for the same prices, which is likely going to be even faster single core and absolutely mental multithreaded.

Back
Top Bottom