• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
The low core parts are clearly better at single core loads.

But why, is the stock cooler not capable of letting the 3900x run at 4.6 and so it downclocks the cpu to 4.3 to prevent temps from getting too high?

We know the 3900x pulls nearly 100w more power under full load than the 2700x yet they use the same air cooler

On some loads, yes, the temp will dictate how far the cpu will boost. Some boost will be closer to the base clock.After market cooler would be needed for a 12 core for sure.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/13678723

Associate
On some loads, yes, the temp will dictate how far the cpu will boost. Some boost will be closer to the base clock.After market cooler would be needed for a 12 core for sure.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/13678723
Definitely, they give you something to go by on your day by day. If you want to run a 3900X OCd or as close to its boost clock as possible you will need an aftermarket cooler.

Soldato
Is it though? My 5960X gets 5400 single core at 4.5ghz and that launched in 2014. Also the 4.35ghz suggests to me that's a typical clock speed at load.
The more results I see the more I doubt Zen 2 despite what we all would like to see and are hoping for.

I understand what you mean but that is a top of the range cpu at a higher clock scoring ~8% less. This is a significantly higher performance jump than Intel have given us since before Sandy Bridge so I don't see it as a problem.

Plus with memory optimisation the score could go up, we will need to wait and see.

Soldato
Is it though? My 5960X gets 5400 single core at 4.5ghz and that launched in 2014. Also the 4.35ghz suggests to me that's a typical clock speed at load.
The more results I see the more I doubt Zen 2 despite what we all would like to see and are hoping for.

Lol worthy, your comparing a heavily oc'd top end $1000 CPU from 2014 against a stock 3900x that was no doubt running on the bundled cooler hahaha

Here let me find you more straws to grasp at for your mock outrage

Your post history in this thread is hilarious, almost as if you was paid to suddenly appear and start naysaying and shouting down...

We get it, you paid over the odds prices in 2014 for an Intel CPU that has been bettered by a £200 CPU 5 years later, it's called progression, the fact the 9900k also betters your CPU but your not whining about that tells me you have nothing to offer this thread except negative attitudes towards what AMD is doing for the market, do you me and everyone else that comes to this thread for decent discussion on what AMD is doing for the industry a favour and just don't bother posting your utter drivel here anymore

Soldato
Ofc the VRMs are overkill, for some ridiculous reason it's what we obsess over on motherboards. Hell, buildzoid will spend HOURS talking about the VRMs on a board. And how important they are. :rolleyes:

Overkill like x470 to handle more cores then current generation . X470 flagships can handle 16 and x570 can handle 16+ since they'll be more cores next gen , though not by much I guess .
Also faster clock speed uses more watts, can see this by 3700x being more hungry then 2700x.

Lot of entry z370 boards throttle with 9900k overclocked on intel side of things :(

Soldato
Overkill like x470 to handle more cores then current generation . X470 flagships can handle 16 and x570 can handle 16+ since they'll be more cores next gen , though not by much I guess .
Also faster clock speed uses more watts, can see this by 3700x being more hungry then 2700x.

Lot of entry z370 boards throttle with 9900k overclocked on intel side of things :(

Exactly why I'm looking at an overkill motherboard now with the plan that it will be adequate for future drop in upgrades :) To me the motherboard is the glue holding everything else together. You can't get the best out of your high end components of your motherboard is weak.

Associate

Now test the 9900k @ 4.3 ghz and compare your 2014 cpu with it and see how much progression ryzen 3000 has made

Soldato
That can not be true that's maybe the whole system power consumption

Thermally limited with the stock cooler, power consumption will be limited to average 105W TDP. Once you enable PBO, XFR with good cooling and it's boosting all cores well over 4Ghz power could easily be around 200W.

A stock 8 core is 105W, over clocked these can easily be north of 170W. Add four extra cores at the same clocks and you need a good 60-70W extra.

The German leak shows power consumption of the the 3700X higher than 2700X in some workloads, that may be throttling on the 2700X but even if they are around the same, 12 core will be +40%

Heavily overclocked 2700X already pulls 200W

Back
Top Bottom