• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

9900k / 9700k or something else

Soldato
Wh

ats the deal with all the exploits? Are people turning HT off?
No, I think people are overdoing their fear :). Would definatley not recommend buying one if people are thinking about turning off HT.

On the gaming topic, at 1440P overall there isn't much between any of the recent CPU's in average FPS IMO, and by average I mean averaging out across say 20+ games too. But having said that, I would recommend moving away from quad cores though. Although there might not be much difference in average FPS, reviews can't always cover smoothness. Since moving away from a 6700K to a 9900K for gaming and work uses, there's definatley a smoother experience with the 9900K when gaming.

Even if todays release shows the 9900K king of gaming, there's still likely going to be hardly anything in it at 1440P and above especially. I think most should focus on how much willing to spend and how many cores they really need (computing is not all about gaming) . I wouldn't recommend buying <8 core CPU's now personally. 8 cores is I think the sweet spot or more if you have use cases that will actually make use of them.

I was waiting on the Ryzen 3*** series but needed a new build about 8 weeks ago and couldn't hold out any longer. Running the 9900K OEM at 5Ghz has been easy and I'm happy with the CPU. It's still a good CPU given the limitations(14nm, based on old skylake).I'd definitely be looking at AMD's release today if buying now tho.

Last edited:
Soldato
when I video edit I will see my money go in the right direction due to having more cores for the same price as a 9900k...NEXT
I don't know what your workflow is, but Premiere still favours Intel. The 9900K will beat a 12-core TR. Best to wait for the benchmarks if this is important to you.

Associate
True. For the OP i would still say wait for the benchmarks. But if they want to go Intel then definitely go for the 9700K over the 9900K for pure gaming. HT has no real benefit for gaming and in some cases can slightly reduce performance.

Really depends on what games op play and what rez? Has the op said anything. Sorry, not really read every post.

Soldato
Really depends on what games op play and what rez? Has the op said anything. Sorry, not really read every post.
Overall gaming still tends to favour non-HT. At CPU-bound resolutions (1080p on a 2080Ti) the 9700K often has the edge. At 4K the performance converges so there really is no perceivable difference.

Soldato
OP
Dam did this turn into a debate or what lol only wanted suggestions and as I am ordering a new pc next week as this is one seems to be dying on me lol

Associate
Dam did this turn into a debate or what lol only wanted suggestions and as I am ordering a new pc next week as this is one seems to be dying on me lol

Wait for more reviews on the new Ryzen, then compare. Rightnow, pretty much speculations and biases. Can't make an informed decision. Sorry.

Soldato
Thing is, when you encounter a game that needs more, you don't have any HT to depend on.

https://imgur.com/YdeEPMc
Extra logical cores are not going to help for the unpredictable nature of games. HT requires consistent predictable workloads, which is why it works well for encoding and rendering. Scheduling and moving threads across logical cores can introduce inefficiencies.

Soldato
I don't know what your workflow is, but Premiere still favours Intel. The 9900K will beat a 12-core TR. Best to wait for the benchmarks if this is important to you.
Well benchmarks are in and Ryzen 3 is beating Intel in Premiere core-for-core for the first time ever. Some impressive magic there!

Soldato
On topic... If you only care about gaming, then the 9900k and 9700k offer more peformance (but not by much) than the new Ryzen 3000 chips. The 9900k is overkill, though. There's only a handful of games that are optimised to the point of using a 9900k over a 9700k and at that point you'll be north of a 100 fps, so it doesn't really matter. A 9700k seems like your best choice.

However, if I were in your position I'd wait for Ryzen 3000 to mature a little and/or see what Intel have to offer when they eventually shrink the die. I know you said your CPU seems to be dying on you, what do you mean by that? Perhaps pursue some tech support and see if you can fix your current problem and then wait a bit to upgrade.

Soldato
After watching Hardware Unboxed review I suspect most sane people would buy the new Ryzen 3700X or 3900X. They consume significantly less power than Intel and are very competitive in games too. A 5%-8% difference is not something to worry about when you are saving money and getting more cores.

Linus found that the ryzens get a decent boost in fps if a game is assigned to one CCX. AMD needs to sort the scheduling out and it should be much closer to Intel in performance.

Associate
I threw a cheeky offer on a brand new 9700k a few weeks ago and to my amazement i got it, paid £250 and wondered if i made a mistake due to Ryzen 3 release. i then bought an MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon for £130 again brand new. so thats actually a lot cheaper than a 3700x and a x570 board so fair to say im pretty chuffed at the minute and Intel still slightly on top for gaming and thats all I use my pc for, if i did video editing or something then maybe ryzen would be better

Caporegime
I threw a cheeky offer on a brand new 9700k a few weeks ago and to my amazement i got it, paid £250 and wondered if i made a mistake due to Ryzen 3 release. i then bought an MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon for £130 again brand new. so thats actually a lot cheaper than a 3700x and a x570 board so fair to say im pretty chuffed at the minute and Intel still slightly on top for gaming and thats all I use my pc for, if i did video editing or something then maybe ryzen would be better

Why a x570 board, trying to justify your purchase?

Back
Top Bottom