• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Last edited:
Associate
Yeh , i really want to order the 3700x but in some benches the 9900k is 20-30 frames ahead. Think I'm gonna wait for 3800x reviews and see how they go!

The results where the 9900k is 20 or more fps ahead really are pointless though as both chips are doing silly fps anyway.
Thats the thing, if your 1440p or 4k gaming then all the chips are similar so why wouldnt you just go for the one thats the newest and has the better platform?

Just to through it in there as a consideration for those opting not to buy x570 if buying new) this decision could come back to bite when the next gen GPU's launch next year.
I'm not sure that's a problem. Buying a B450 now, and then an X570 in a year, is likely going to cost less than paying a Day Zero premium for a product that currently offers no tangible benefit.

If it was me and I was thnking of buying the 3700x I would go for the 3800x just to make sure your getting the best silicon as well as potentially higher sustained PBO speeds.
PBO removes the limits that differentiate a 3700X from a 3800X. The only possible difference is binning.
Whilst you likely get better XFR2 performance out of the box with the 3800X, if your intention is to invalidate the warranty via PBO the you're better off on the cheaper of two otherwise identical products.

Associate
But you literally are getting 3x the CPU, and in desktop terms a bottomless pit of processing power. Back in the 4770k days a system with that kind of processing power would have cost £20k? Probably more TBH.
A bottomless pit of processing power that can't quite match a CPU with 66% of the cores max overclock in games. Yes it makes sense if you're a content creator/video editor but not for now if you have a PC primarily for gaming.

Soldato
PBO removes the limits that differentiate a 3700X from a 3800X. The only possible difference is binning.
Whilst you likely get better XFR2 performance out of the box with the 3800X, if your intention is to invalidate the warranty via PBO the you're better off on the cheaper of two otherwise identical products.

You might be right. We need to see reviews of the 3800x which thus far seem non existent.

Last edited:
You might be right. We need to see reviews of the 3800x which thus far seem non existent.
Agreed, though I don't see any other way that they could be different except for binning.

It is market segmentation; the enthusiast gets some value with the cheaper variant, whilst the regular consumer gets the better out of the box experience, but at a higher price point.

Associate
Yeah if you told me a few years ago that you could have this level of CPU and build it desktop I would have probably laughed. If you told me you could have this for desktop money, in an ITX format and power it from a 200watt PSU I would have thought you was mad.
Seems to struggle a bit compared to the Intel architecture from a few years ago though. I reckon you'll get 100mhz more from the 3800X, maybe 4.3 all core boost for 5 mins.

Associate
I am currently on windows 7, will W10 offer anything of value to me in terms of gaming perf with all the scheduler stuff?

Not really. But in certain games - Shadow of the Tomb Raider being a good example - the Win10/DX12 performance was significantly higher than Win7/DX11.

Back
Top Bottom