• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen 2 Owners Thread!

Associate
How are your stock 3900x idle temps guys? Just got mine in with some old liquid metal and idle at 32C stock. 60 degrees tops on a prime 95 uber torture! Fantastic.

No boosts past 4200 though...

Last edited:
Associate
How are your stock 3900x idle temps guys? Just got mine in with some old liquid metal and idle at 32C stock. 60 degrees tops on a prime 95 uber torture! Fantastic.

No boosts past 4200 though...

How are you reading your temps?

AIDA64 has the CPU / Diode temp bouncing between 38 & 47 degrees in idle, not seen over 60 though under load.

CPUID HWMonitor labels are confusing, trying to match up to Gigabyte System Info Viewer (which is also bad):
TMPIN0 = System 1 @ 32C ?
TMPIN2 = CPU @ 38-47C ?
TMPIN3 & 5 = PCH & PCIX16 @ 41C ?
TMPIN4 = VRM @ 45C ?

Seeing CPU clock between 3300 and 4200Mhz. Going to try messing with mem timings now

Edit: Running 3900x on Aorus Ultra: Air cooler (PH-TC14PE) using conductonaut in good airflow case (FT02) with fans set low / auto.

Last edited:
Associate
Just got my system built out, the ram defaulted to a little over 2ghz and the cpu clocks are jumping around very quickly. Even caught a glimpse of 2 cores at 4615.6 whilst idling, nothing was demanding that high a clockspeed but I'm not complaining.
Going to install drivers etc and config the memory

Associate
Just got my system built out, the ram defaulted to a little over 2ghz and the cpu clocks are jumping around very quickly. Even caught a glimpse of 2 cores at 4615.6 whilst idling, nothing was demanding that high a clockspeed but I'm not complaining.
Going to install drivers etc and config the memory

CPU monitoring tools actually cause the CPU to boost due to constant probing, according to AMD Robert.

stable-001.png

4x 8Gb is working at the rated speed with no errors reported under benching.

Idle temp 39c
Max load temp 65c
Load voltage 1.225v

I could no doubt push the CPU and memory a lot further.
But it's going to be a 24/7 always on server, so I'm happy with that.
It's a huge improvement over my old 5820k.

I used an even thin spread of Arctic Silver across the entire surface as well as a small figure 7 line that roughly covers the where the 3 chips are located.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep. Windows 10 1903 and latest chipset drivers, it asks if I want to install Ryzen Power Plan.
How come the AMD chipset drivers include "AMD Ryzen Power Plan"? I thought this wasn't needed or included any more?

Just got my temporary R5 3600 up and running. I changed some BIOS settings (enabling fast boot, disabling WiFi) but nothing crazy. I did enable XMP and then the motherboard decided it could automatically set it higher, so it's currently at 3200-16-18-18-36. Got all my drivers installed so just need to run some benches now! :D
You need use the Ryzen Power Plan with Ryzen 3000 in order to get the fast CPU clock switching, see this thread where an AMD employee explains: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/

Soldato
Seems to be worse memory latency than I thought, still worse than previous gen at the moment. Will be interesting to see how this improves over the next month.

Forever waiting for my kit :mad::(

Associate
How are you reading your temps?

AIDA64 has the CPU / Diode temp bouncing between 38 & 47 degrees in idle, not seen over 60 though under load.

CPUID HWMonitor labels are confusing, trying to match up to Gigabyte System Info Viewer (which is also bad):
TMPIN0 = System 1 @ 32C ?
TMPIN2 = CPU @ 38-47C ?
TMPIN3 & 5 = PCH & PCIX16 @ 41C ?
TMPIN4 = VRM @ 45C ?

Seeing CPU clock between 3300 and 4200Mhz. Going to try messing with mem timings now

Edit: Running 3900x on Aorus Ultra: Air cooler (PH-TC14PE) using conductonaut in good airflow case (FT02) with fans set low / auto.

Latest ryzen master, not sure how accurate but ties up with the bios idle. Liquid metal ultra on mine, with a fairly beastly noctua. Conductonaut should slay the liquid metal on paper shouldn't it.

Soldato
What software are you guys using to measure temps? My 3600 seems to be idling in the 50s and clocks don#t drop below 3.6GHz on idle

HWInfo64, alongside Ryzen Master for real time core performance.

Check what power plan you have set in Windows Power Settings, balanced will allow it to clock down lower, and power saver will drop it below 2.7GHz

Associate
Updated the drivers from the gigabyte website on windows 1903, just bricked the os for inaccessible boot device, raid driver perhaps

Associate
Well I'm not having a great start... tried paying pubg and getting:
WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
CPU was at 50 degrees or under showing all cores at 4175 according to hw monitor when it happens. Totally standard setup, no overclocking just xmp on my ram. Duff CPU?

Soldato
Well I'm not having a great start... tried paying pubg and getting:
WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
CPU was at 50 degrees or under showing all cores at 4175 according to hw monitor when it happens. Totally standard setup, no overclocking just xmp on my ram. Duff CPU?

Memory or GPU.

A CPU failing at stock is incredibly unlikely.

Caporegime
A CPU failing at stock is incredibly unlikely.

I don't think that's the case with desktop AMD Ryzen as the chips are pretty much clocked to the limits of the silicon, the CPU hasn't failed it's just not stable at rated clocks. I would try disabling turbo boost to see if it fixes it.

Back
Top Bottom