• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Eek! the new "AMD Ryzen Balanced plan" customised for AMD Ryzen processors in power options.

Check under.... advanced power settings/processor power management/minimum processor state.
mine is now set at 90%,... the usual windows balanced plan minimum was 10%.

That can't be right for sure?
Robert Hallock confirmed that Ryzen CPUs can change state in 1ms, where as hardware monitoring tools etc only poll at 100-1000ms, so they don't correctly pick up behaviour. Ryzen Master will show what is actually going on, and you'll see cores sleep.

Soldato
Anyone think the 3800x is so elusive is that in gaming it will perform exactly the same as the 3900x. And could potentially hurt sales of the 3900x. So they are holding it back until most of the 3900x orders have gone through.

Soldato
Anyone think the 3800x is so elusive is that in gaming it will perform exactly the same as the 3900x. And could potentially hurt sales of the 3900x. So they are holding it back until most of the 3900x orders have gone through.

Possible. The CEO herself did hint at the 3800X being the gamer's choice.

Associate
I get my 3700X tomorrow so this will make for a good comparison when I run it again.

4790K @ 4.4GHz (all core), 16GB 1800MHz RAM, GTX 1080 Armor OC

1920x1080 Ultra Preset - 33.8 FPS
3440x1440 Ultra Preset - 32.3 FPS

1920x1080 High Preset (same as review posted) - 40.7 FPS

Note sure how Jacky60 is getting 53.7 FPS on that, I guess Arma is making use of those 4 extra cores.
Thanks that would be fantastic, I'll check my results but RAM speed and cache speed are both very important for Arma 3,
more so than most games, I'm on DDR4 3000mhz, 4250mhz cache.

Associate
Maybe, just maybe, AMD have got better things to do with their time than optimise for one **** game that you play...? You know, its not like Intel performs that much better at it either, so have they had their fingers up their butts ever since because they've failed to further optimise for the same **** game...?
As an engineer you design based upon future needs, not what one bloke on the internet has decided is the be-all and end-all of CPU performance metrics. There's a reason why Pacman isn't used in gaming benchmarks. Get with the times.
I see, that's why we're benching at 720 is it;)?

Soldato
Well I wasn't going to bother, but after seeing the 3700X in stock and figuring I can sell my 2700X to recoup a whack of the cash I thought I might as well. Be interesting to see how it does in my ITX box though obviously I'm not expecting massive gains. Loving that I can upgrade CPU without having to change motherboard for once.

Please let us know you're gaming performance as I had a 3800x on order but then cancelled as I figured the gains at 1440p would be very very minimal.

Last edited:
I see, that's why we're benching at 720 is it;)?
Pacman definitely wasn't made to be played at 720p.
The point is, you don't make modern processors with performance in older games as your start point. You design based on what is going to be needed in the future. That's why we see new instruction sets etc, with older more niche ones being retired to a large extent.
It is called progress.
Besides, if Ryzen ARMA III performance is now on a par with Intel, and almost every other game, yet miles ahead in non-gaming metrics, then there is your justification for upgrading; you get everything you're currently getting, but you also get more in readiness for future games. Fair enough if you don't ever play any other games ever, but open the curtains a little and try new things from time to time. Might open your eyes a little to the whole world outside your basement.

Soldato
I haven't don a ton of gaming on my 3900x, but coming from a very old 2600k, GTA V blew me away last night. All sliders maxed out, getting a very solid 80-100fps, no dips, it was just butter smooth. Even though my fps was previously quite high, the smoothness of it just changes everything.

Associate
Pacman definitely wasn't made to be played at 720p.
The point is, you don't make modern processors with performance in older games as your start point. You design based on what is going to be needed in the future. That's why we see new instruction sets etc, with older more niche ones being retired to a large extent.
It is called progress.
Besides, if Ryzen ARMA III performance is now on a par with Intel, and almost every other game, yet miles ahead in non-gaming metrics, then there is your justification for upgrading; you get everything you're currently getting, but you also get more in readiness for future games. Fair enough if you don't ever play any other games ever, but open the curtains a little and try new things from time to time. Might open your eyes a little to the whole world outside your basement.
So I should sell my 5960X and upgrade to a 3900X to 'gain' an almost identical gaming experience with the additional benefit of having my 'eyes
opened' to an extra 4 cores twiddling their thumbs? When you put it like that I'm sold, in fact I'm buying two of them! I have a loads of games in my steam library and I enjoy others too but all the others have always been fine FPS wise. I enjoy open world sand box games and hate being funnelled down corridors but if you can enlighten me as to what I should be playing I'd be delighted.

Don
Why are people saying the 3800x is going to perform like 3900x it's just a 3700x with 100mhz extra?

It *may* perform better than a 3900x in certain situations where the extra cores aren't needed, if the higher TDP (105w vs 65w of the 3700x) allows it to maintain boost/more overclocking headroom.

I'd be surprised if they are even real - "23 User benchmarks" but yet no one has seen a 3800x in the wild. Boost clock is also odd with an average of 4.3Ghz (rather than the 4.5Ghz it should hit)

Back
Top Bottom