• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Okay, so Steam definitely gives this thing a workout. I've been re-downloading my library, and have noticed that once the install is done my processor drops back down to between 36 and 45 degrees, with occasional spikes to 50 degrees. This is with Chrome open and doing nothing else but browsing. Furthermore it looks as if all of the cores are being given something to do when said download is active, then sleeping once it's finished. So this is normal behaviour for a Ryzen I guess? Panic over nothing? :confused:

Not sure if you're are but if you put all your Steam games on a separate drive you just need to reinstall Steam on the C: drive and point it to the drive with all your games on. Just did this myself, saves a lot of time downloading :)

Associate
I'm also having high temps while doing nothing, crazy seeing it jump from 35 to 61 in the blink of an eye. I've ordered a Dark Rock 4 to replace the stock cooler now, not so much because of the temps as I'm not convinced it will help much with that, but the noise is doing my head in so I'm hoping the Dark Rock 4 will help in that regard.

glad im not the only one. Im on water with hard lines so was having nightmares about having to drain and reseat the block. i think max temp i have seen is 71dg while running a benchmark

Associate
Not sure if you're are but if you put all your Steam games on a separate drive you just need to reinstall Steam on the C: drive and point it to the drive with all your games on. Just did this myself, saves a lot of time downloading :)

So I was going to do this, but my games were on a drive which was originally a boot drive, so it also had a Windows install and all associated drivers on there as well. I decided to format it and just start fresh, with Steam also being on the SSD as well rather than my boot drive.

This way if I have to reinstall Windows for any reason, it won't effect my games library. :D

Thanks, I'll give that a read! I've never had an AMD before, so this is new territory for me. :)

Soldato
I'm also having high temps while doing nothing, crazy seeing it jump from 35 to 61 in the blink of an eye. I've ordered a Dark Rock 4 to replace the stock cooler now, not so much because of the temps as I'm not convinced it will help much with that, but the noise is doing my head in so I'm hoping the Dark Rock 4 will help in that regard.

glad im not the only one. Im on water with hard lines so was having nightmares about having to drain and reseat the block. i think max temp i have seen is 71dg while running a benchmark

The issue with Zen2 outside of how it boosts with voltages within the FIT, is getting the heat transferred out of the tiny 74mm² CCD itself, before you even consider trying to transfer heat from the IHS. So whilst larger my competent coolers and blocks will help, the main issue is before it's job.

If you compared it with the 9900K which has some notoriety on the subject:

9900K has a theoretical intensity of ~1.15W/mm² when operating at 5.0GHz (200W @ 174mm²)
Zen2 can easily reach intensity of > 1.5W/mm² (120W+ @ 74mm²).

New block designs might help a little if they focus more on the area where the CCDs are, but not by much and IMO not worth the £££ it'll cost to implement.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the 3800X is aimed at people who just buy on the number on the box. Overclocked the two CPUs are identical. There's no evidence of binning.

Spend the difference on a better GPU or better memory (3600 is nice for these CPUs).

Soldato
I think the 3800X is aimed at people who just buy on the number on the box. Overclocked the two CPUs are identical. There's no evidence of binning.

Spend the difference on a better GPU or better memory (3600 is nice for these CPUs).
I have 4000Mhz memory sitting waiting. Not buying a GPU any time soon, not due to cashflow but more I'm not impressed by any right now. Im happy to pay £70 for a bit more FPS. But it depends how much more.

Soldato
I have 4000Mhz memory sitting waiting. Not buying a GPU any time soon, not due to cashflow but more I'm not impressed by any right now. Im happy to pay £70 for a bit more FPS. But it depends how much more.

Based on the 3600/3600X reviews you're not going to get anything you can measure really, like 1-2% at best. You won't see the highest boost clocks in anything much except in single threaded benchmarks, and it looks like for normal use they'll operate at the same boost clocks.

Associate
Right well 3900x isn't going to be here anytime soon. So do I order the 3700x or the 3800x. For gaming. How many more FPS on average does the 3800x give over the 3700x?
3800x might be worth it, most likely you going to end up with auto and pbo on, 3800x should offer more, personally would defo pay extra 50£ (and that comes from the tight *******, who still sits on one of the cheapest b350s) :D

Soldato
If I were going to spend on a 3800X I'd just pay the rest and get the 3900X. That will definitely give a bit extra in gaming performance over the 3700X/3800X and is obviously the best silicon quality out of all of them.

Soldato
If I were going to spend on a 3800X I'd just pay the rest and get the 3900X. That will definitely give a bit extra in gaming performance over the 3700X/3800X and is obviously the best silicon quality out of all of them.
I've had a 3900x on pre-order for a while. I just called OCUK and they said "yeah.... don't expect that anytime soon"...(basically)
So I'm now deciding on 3700x or 3800x.

Soldato
Based on the 3600/3600X reviews you're not going to get anything you can measure really, like 1-2% at best. You won't see the highest boost clocks in anything much except in single threaded benchmarks, and it looks like for normal use they'll operate at the same boost clocks.

This is true for the most part but not always, so you do take a small risk. There's a few people I've seen who have mentioned their 3600 not boosting all that close to 3600x including one on this forum who can't even get there with an oc. I don't think his 3600 can even reach 4.2 and takes a lot of voltage even for 4.1+

Soldato
I've had a 3900x on pre-order for a while. I just called OCUK and they said "yeah.... don't expect that anytime soon"...(basically)
So I'm now deciding on 3700x or 3800x.

The firmware on the X570 boards is still a bit crappy at the moment so waiting wouldn't be so bad really. It depends on how long not anytime soon is I guess.

Since even the 3900x doesn't seem able to hit its advertised 4.6GHz boost clocks on a single core, the chance of the 3800x getting to 4.5GHz on more than one seems slim, as it'll be worse silicon.

This is true for the most part but not always, so you do take a small risk. There's a few people I've seen who have mentioned their 3600 not boosting all that close to 3600x including one on this forum who can't even get there with an oc. I don't think his 3600 can even reach 4.2.

For normal multithreaded use (even games), it seems they all are boosting to about 4.2GHz regardless of the model. A total dud 3600 might not get to that I guess, but the same could happen with the 3600X as neither is guaranteed to get to the boost clocks on the box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
I called today, was told they had a batch of 3900x coming directly from AMD but had no idea when it would appear. I've cancelled my order and will wait and see how stock levels are in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom