• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
There is a way to expose all the p-state settings for the power plan in windows control panel, someone on reddit posted a screenshot but sadly he didnt say how.

This guy has exposed a ton of stuff, related to p-states etc.

---

ahhaaa he replied.

instructions here

Code:
download here, https://gist.github.com/raspi/203aef3694e34fefebf772c78c37ec2c

open admin cmd; change dir to the script location & run it: %SystemRoot%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\PowerShell.exe -NoProfile -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Command "& '.\enable-all-advanced-power-settings.ps1'" > powercfg.bat

run powercfg.bat to enable all options;

some info on those options: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/performance-tuning/hardware/power/power-performance-tuning

here is screenshot so you guys know what I am talking about.

https://imgur.com/a/MB23NS0

The above guide doesnt work properly, the instructions stated on the github page itself are fine tho.

So download the raw ps1 from the git hub link https://gist.github.com/raspi/203aef3694e34fefebf772c78c37ec2c
in powershell run '.\enable-all-advanced-power-settings.ps1 | Out-File powercfg.ps1'
then run to enable execution
'set-executionpolicy unrestricted'
edit powercfg.ps1 if you wish to disable some applet options such as things like battery options for laptop not applicable to ryzen desktop.
then finally run '.\powercfg.ps1'
After you should see everything expose din control panel power settings for "every" profile not just AMD profiles.

Suggest also for security after to run 'set-executionpolicy default'

I can already see ryzen power plan is 25% to ramp up clocks, microsoft is 60% so basically on microsoft power plan it needs over double cpu utilisation over ryzen plan before it ramps up power/performance. There is also differences on core parking variables as well. Plus many more stuff to look at or tinker with, is very interesting and wished this stuff was exposed by default.

Soldato
Will post my upgrade findings in the 3800x thread later but going from the CH6 and 1700 to the x570 Taichi and 3800x has been awesome for me personally, 3600mhz ram running correct and 3600 fabric speed etc, PC feels so snappy

Soldato
That overhyped noob thinks he knows better, than AMD engineers - couldn't make it up (nice cult though :D )

To be fair he can only go on the performance they show right now. If there is more of a difference to come that's on AMD's engineers not putting out a fully mature product. I suspect it's more of a marketing move. It will sell to the masses, flesh out the product stack, but the very few informed will buy a 3700X or a 3900X.

Permabanned
To be fair he can only go on the performance they show right now. If there is more of a difference to come that's on AMD's engineers not putting out a fully mature product. I suspect it's more of a marketing move. It will sell to the masses, flesh out the product stack, but the very few informed will buy a 3700X or a 3900X.

I thought we always recommended the cheapest one of the same kind and make. 3800X should never be preferred over the 3700X. It's like preference of an Asus card simply for the "shiny" brand sticker on the card... Meh.

Associate

He said that the 3800X allegedly boost to 4.5GHz. I assume he did not see boost that high in games, so you are right. It falls back on AMD.

If it is a marketing move, then it is working. The 3700X having the same cores as the 3800X, seemingly similar performance while being cheaper indeed makes it a better choice. No sales data to prove it, though, cos stores are OOS of the 3800X and 3900X!

Associate
Fallout 2 kinda old ;) . Did you try playing with all auto, pbo on , cause I've given up doing allcore, works better (and cooler ) on auto.

:)

Yeah I have enabled PBO and also used the windows balanced plan but with minimum processor state set to 70% seems to work a treat so far in lowering idle voltage and haven't noticed any ill effects.

Max temp on my H60 is 80 which is fine but a bit noisy so have ordered a h100i pro as that should be a lot quieter even if temps are not lower.

Associate
Ye, more data than 1 cpu, nice try btw.
p.s: Told ya, it is a cult :D

do you really expect it to be any different - it isn't such a variable system that it is going to show such massive differences. What exactly do you think you will see? The same goes for the 3600 and the 3600x.

They both OC to the same as well.

Associate
do you really expect it to be any different - it isn't such a variable system that it is going to show such massive differences. What exactly do you think you will see? The same goes for the 3600 and the 3600x.

They both OC to the same as well.

The same? Not exactly. There will be a difference even if it is just 100MHz. That is enough for some to regret not getting the so called higher binned chip.

Back
Top Bottom