• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Looks like my 1080Ti is holding up well..

Associate
Yes, which is far too much in my book. I would love to find out what the margin is on those cards, I bet it's very high indeed!

Nvidia has an insatiable appetite for milking its customers. They have been incrementally moving the goalposts, in absence of competition in the higher segment, so much that the flagship now costs $1200. And apparently people are buying that card in droves. When the manufacturing cost for that card hardly exceeds $600 range. Consumers are shooting themselves in the foot without realizing it.

Associate
Nvidia has an insatiable appetite for milking its customers. They have been incrementally moving the goalposts, in absence of competition in the higher segment, so much that the flagship now costs $1200. And apparently people are buying that card in droves. When the manufacturing cost for that card hardly exceeds $600 range. Consumers are shooting themselves in the foot without realizing it.

The next two years are going to be very interesting indeed. If AMD can't or won't bring the fight to Nvidia at the high-end, then how far will prices continue to rise? What effect will the new consoles have on the market? It can't go on like this forever, something has to give.

Associate
The next two years are going to be very interesting indeed. If AMD can't or won't bring the fight to Nvidia at the high-end, then how far will prices continue to rise? What effect will the new consoles have on the market? It can't go on like this forever, something has to give.
I hope the consoles do have a effect on the market, if the ps5/Xbox 2 can do 4k60 even at high details for under £500 that would be a good overall system. Xbox one x is already doing 4k30 so it's not unimaginable to expect

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I hope the consoles do have a effect on the market, if the ps5/Xbox 2 can do 4k60 even at high details for under £500 that would be a good overall system. Xbox one x is already doing 4k30 so it's not unimaginable to expect
It will certainly be possible. But let’s be honest a lot of devs will want to eek out better graphics and still target 30fps to get there. What would be good is providing a 60fps option at reduced graphical details.

I am definitely getting a PS5. Will still use the PC for strategy, flight sim and pc exclusives. But will just stick to mid range like 3070.

Associate
I pre-ordered the MSI Seahawk 1080ti through amazon, and at the time they made a pricing mistake should have been £900, but charged me £720, had to honor it. Thats the AIO version of the graphics card.
I then picked up a 2nd one used off ebay a couple months back.

LqD8k7t.jpg

Associate
I got a zotac 1080ti amp extreme for £400 last year hardly used..the upgrader in me wants to buy a new card but the sensible me says why..

I think we got spoiled by the 1080ti in a nice way.

Soldato
Well of course its holding up well, its a flagship card and only one generation old. I am expecting at least 3 more years minimum out of my 1080ti. :)

Soldato
I got one last year in October for £579, I am hoping it lasts me for another 2 years.
Me too. The gigabyte black one from here. It was that or a 2080 for nearly £100 more. I am happy with my choice and should last me at least till we get a 7nm NV card (2180ti or what ever they call it) or an AMD equivalent if it does proper raytracing.
The trick for me was giving up on 4k. As a QHD card the 1080ti blows the doors off everything (just can't do Ray tracing of course).... Initially I was disappointed with that but the reality is QHD is pretty damn close to UHD for gaming.
Ideally I would like to wait for a UHD 60 card WITH raytracing

Soldato
NVidia are asking a fair price for what you are getting with the Turing cards as they use huge chunks of silicon which will have quite poor yields.

The problem with Turing is lots of people don't want or need Ray Tracing and the other new features.

Turing pricing is not a scam, it is the result of NVidia trying to produce a product that really should only have seen the light of day on 7nm or better.

A huge chunk of silicon indeed. Nvidia could have dropped RTX and turning would have been smaller (around 40% as I recall), cheaper to manufacture and cheaper to buy .... who am I kidding, this is nVidia we are talking about - it wouldn't have been any cheaper to buy. Anyway, the point is given the state of RTX and the cost of the silicon to run RTX, nVidia had the option to not bundle it and not pass those costs on to the consumer. They didn't do that, instead consumers got to pay a 'fair price' for a big lump of silicon that, in the minds of all those people who aren't interested in RTX , is a complete waste of transistors. Hmm.

Man of Honour
A huge chunk of silicon indeed. Nvidia could have dropped RTX and turning would have been smaller (around 40% as I recall), cheaper to manufacture and cheaper to buy .... who am I kidding, this is nVidia we are talking about - it wouldn't have been any cheaper to buy. Anyway, the point is given the state of RTX and the cost of the silicon to run RTX, nVidia had the option to not bundle it and not pass those costs on to the consumer. They didn't do that, instead consumers got to pay a 'fair price' for a big lump of silicon that, in the minds of all those people who aren't interested in RTX , is a complete waste of transistors. Hmm.

I think Turing is NVidia's best and worst GPU line ever.

Best because the high end Turing cards as the fastest available.

Worst because Turing has features that a lot of people don't want.

Worse still in some circumstances Ray Tracing is just not up to the job as this is something that only should have seen the light of day on 7nm or better.

I ran SOTTR on overclocked RTX Titans in SLI with Ray Tracing enabled with the other settings maxed @2160p and was only averaging 58fps.

Lets be honest NVidia have tried to roll out Ray Tracing before the hardware is up to it.

IMHO for Ray Tracing to work properly it should allow the latest games to run at 120fps at 2160p maxed out on the latest monitors using a single high end GPU, this is still several years away.

DLSS is an interesting feature but it should not be there to prop up Ray Tracing killing the fps. What is the point of using one feature (DLSS) that degrades the image to allow another (Ray Tracing) to run that improves the image, Doh.

Soldato
Buying the 1080Ti on release day has turned out to be one of the best hardware purchasing decisions I have made. It has now been my longest serving GPU in over 20 years of PC gaming. I'm actually in danger of running out of manufacturer's warranty for the first time ever!

Back
Top Bottom