• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
I think it just shows that AMD's performance per watt graph peaks at 65W and is worse in the beginning of the curve.
What graph? You can't compare Zen 2 perf/watt (which probably does peak around 65 W) on the same graph as Zen+ perf/watt. They are different architectures on different nodes. You can't just ignore facts that don't fit your narrative, especially when they were stated to you in the post you're replying to. I would certainly expect Intel's 10nm Ice Lake to have better performance per Watt up to a certain point compared to AMD's 12nm Zen+.

Ryzen 5 2500U base clock (frequency at idle) is also 1.47GHz, despite that officially it's claimed as 2.0GHz.
Idle frequency is not the same as base frequency. All chips downclock below base frequency at idle to save power, and have done since 2002. Intel call it SpeedStep, AMD calls it Cool'n'Quiet. Base frequency is the minimum frequency the chip will run at while under sustained load.

Soldato
I think it just shows that AMD's performance per watt graph peaks at 65W and is worse in the beginning of the curve.
Ryzen 5 2500U base clock (frequency at idle) is also 1.47GHz, despite that officially it's claimed as 2.0GHz.

AMD are faster per core than Intel.

Soldato
When I use the Dram calc using the manual profile after importing my timmings, the settings even on safe are just way to fast for my system. Previous BIOS would blue screen, new BIOS just fails.

At least with V1 safe profile, it boots and it is somewhat stable. I had similar settings previously that eventually after a few weeks of stability froze. The only difference now is I have typed out ALL the timings and sub timings form the calc as well as added in all the power supply details as well which was something I have never done before.

Soldato
When I use the Dram calc using the manual profile after importing my timmings, the settings even on safe are just way to fast for my system. Previous BIOS would blue screen, new BIOS just fails.

At least with V1 safe profile, it boots and it is somewhat stable. I had similar settings previously that eventually after a few weeks of stability froze. The only difference now is I have typed out ALL the timings and sub timings form the calc as well as added in all the power supply details as well which was something I have never done before.
What speed are you trying? My system can run stable at 3200 and 3600 but not anything in between, so check for memory holes.

Soldato

I wish the calculator had a setting below "11", but even "safe" seems really aggressive to me.

Soldato
there is if you are trying to measure the effectiveness of memory tweaks.

SuperPI is ancient though is it even optimised for the first generation Zen? Never mind 12x third generation Zen cores.

I could ring out my 2500K and see what results that gets, though I’m not sure how relevant any of that would be today.

Soldato
After being messed about with on a motherboard purchase, I decided to tell them to poke it and bought another so it should be here tomorrow! Hoping to get stuck straight in once it arrives. Can't wait to get a new setup now.
Managed to get a 3600 and X570 Strix-e for £455 all in.

Edit: On another note. I noticed another Intel vulnerability has surfaced.

Soldato
SuperPI is ancient though is it even optimised for the first generation Zen? Never mind 12x third generation Zen cores.

I could ring out my 2500K and see what results that gets, though I’m not sure how relevant any of that would be today.

ryzen vs ryzen it remains the primary standard for single core and ram speed validation.

Permabanned
ryzen vs ryzen it remains the primary standard for single core and ram speed validation.

:eek:

Look, people explain it better:

Super PI is single threaded, so its relevance as a measure of performance in the current era of multi-core processors is diminishing quickly. Therefore, wPrime has been developed to support multiple threaded calculations to be run at the same time so one can test stability on multi-core machines. Other multithreaded programs include: Hyper PI, IntelBurnTest, Prime95, Montecarlo superPI, OCCT or y-cruncher. Last but not least, while SuperPi is unable to calculate more than 32 million digits, and Alexander J. Yee & Shigeru Kondo were able to set a record of 10 Trillion 50 Digits of Pi using y-cruncher under a 2 x Intel Xeon X5680 @ 3.33 GHz - (12 physical cores, 24 hyperthreaded) computer on October 16, 2011[4] Super PI is much slower than these other programs, and utilizes inferior algorithms to them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_PI

Back
Top Bottom