What film did you watch last night?

Man of Honour
"Don't Look Now" (1973) - 1/10

Wife picked this up on recent Blu-ray release, supposed to be a cult classic but frankly boring as hell. High point the sex scene where it's reputed Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie did it for real on set, but you can't really tell. Picture quality awful, really grainy, no restoration done for the disc at all.

One for the charity shop bag.

I picked this one up as well after reading the review on AV Forums.

My wife and I didn't even get to the end before turning it off.

Associate
A Most Violent Year (2015) 8/10

As a massive fan of gangster films, I was expecting given the title, a violent thriller. This film is not your traditional organised crime thriller, nevertheless, it drew me in!

The cast were excellent, Jessica Chastain stole the show as the moll, Oscar Isaac looks and plays the part brilliantly and to be honest; the cast overall were excellent. If you like slow burners - worth a watch.

Soldato
John wick chapter 3 7/10
Not as good as the first 2 but still good, all action start to finish, you would need to watch last one to really understand whats happening and why.
Im hoping for a forth to see what happens next.

Im just disappointed the women with the short hair did not get killed but I can understand why at the very end.

Associate
79sg8OGm.jpg

After Hours (1985)

"An ordinary word processor has the worst night of his life after he agrees to visit a girl in Soho who he met that evening at a coffee shop."

An underrated Scorsese classic.

xpxlwAy.png

Soldato
Detective Pikachu - 9/10. Very funny, looked great and even though I know nothing about Pokemon it didn't matter. "Only" 90 mins too so it actually felt slightly short, but it probably didn't need to be padded out either.

Also watched some of Left Behind the other night...1/10 is being generous. I can't imagine what Nicholas Cage (or anyone else for that matter) were thinking, it's truly dire. For a while it was in the "so bad it's funny" phase but eventually I just couldn't be bothered with it any more.

Soldato
A Most Violent Year (2015) 8/10

As a massive fan of gangster films, I was expecting given the title, a violent thriller. This film is not your traditional organised crime thriller, nevertheless, it drew me in!

The cast were excellent, Jessica Chastain stole the show as the moll, Oscar Isaac looks and plays the part brilliantly and to be honest; the cast overall were excellent. If you like slow burners - worth a watch.

Oscar Isaac seemed to come out of nowhere but is brilliant in almost everything he does.

Caporegime
Dark Phoenix...meh

I haven't seen an X-Men movie for donkeys years. I think the last one I saw was "the last stand" and frankly...not much has changed. All seems good, humans like mutants. Something goes wrong, humans begin doubting mutants and conflict ensues. One of them is seemingly unstoppable. Then it does a full circle and they somehow stop that person and balance between humans & mutants is back to normal.

Overall the story was basically as above, the characters were dull as dishwater for the most part and the special effects were nice.

Soldato
@Phate you've missed out on first class. I've argued this point over and over that it's the best of the x-men movies. Even more so than the overly hyped Days Of Future Past.

Helps its directed by a solid director, Matthew Vaughn of Kick Ass & Kingsman fame.

Soldato
It chapter 2. I knew Kermode hated it as did Peter Bradshaw in the guardian but man it was really poor. You don't care about any of them. Pennywise doesn't seem very menacing and the laughs are in odd places which take you out of the horror build up.

Pity as the first one was better. 2/10

Associate
It chapter 2. I knew Kermode hated it as did Peter Bradshaw in the guardian but man it was really poor. You don't care about any of them. Pennywise doesn't seem very menacing and the laughs are in odd places which take you out of the horror build up.

Pity as the first one was better. 2/10

Well I went to see this in 4dx. Interesting concept but the seats at Cineworld were too hard for that length of film. Having smoke fill the screen was good as was the moving chairs. The water element got old fast and I turned it off as getting blasted every 30secs, got old fast when wearing glasses.

4/10 For a proper introduction to the new 4dx film.

My overall opinion of 4dx is that it is the next '3D'. I paid £5 ontop of unlimited, £17 ish normally. :eek: If there is a blockbuster, then fine, otherwise, meh.

Soldato
John wick 3
loved it was not expecting Winston to betray him.

As much as I loved it though I call bs on John wick surviving that fall (I know he did) but even using the line of well it's a film, his spine would have snapped surely

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom