• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Here's my first ever OC in my life. RAM is Crucial Ballistix 3200 CL16 2x16Gb sticks.

This was from a good bit of help from Tamzzy answering my random questions and the use of Thaiphoon and DRAM calculator.

Btf79vU.png

dugACzI.png

Voltages are:

SOC 1.1v
DRAM Voltage 1.45v
CLDO VDDG 0.950v
VTTDDR 0.725v
VDDP Standby 0.9V

On a side not, Can an unstable RAM OC cause issues with an ethernet adapter? I keep dropping my ethernet connection and can only get it back by disabling and enabling. It only seems to have started happening when I have been playing about.

Soldato
What's the price difference?
32GB kit still not available, but they seem to be roughly around the same price.. so the 16GB kit is pretty expensive.
On a side not, Can an unstable RAM OC cause issues with an ethernet adapter? I keep dropping my ethernet connection and can only get it back by disabling and enabling. It only seems to have started happening when I have been playing about.
Probably the reason I would think.

Associate
New BIOS out for X470 boards (2801) with ASUS. I think it's based of the ABBA updated.

Voltage seems a bit better and that when ideal it stays 1v for a longer period of time.

It terms of performance I have seen roughly 100 point increase in Cinebench R20 (4840) and also 4 cores hit 4.4Ghz when boosting.

"Its one of the reasons why my personal builds and stuff always end up being on Intel is because of overall stability I would take overall stability over maximum core count or value or any of that stuff any day"

Jay

Glad someone high profile on YouTube is actually talking about this finally, this is the main reason why I still chose to build an Intel rig when everyone on here was ramming AMD down my throat, I will always choose stability over performance, I look over these AMD threads and they are just full of people waiting for BIOS updates, not happy with temps, voltages etc, I just can't be doing that, I just want to whack my parts together, boot it up and forget about it.

Soldato
The system was running fine until he changed the BIOS. OK, It should be expected that a later BIOS is more stable.

First rule of BIOS flashing, if it's stable on the current BIOS then leave it. Many manufacturers on their BIOS pages state that they do not recommend updating the BIOS if your system is already running normally.

Also he rebooted with base settings, when he should have reapplied his saved BIOS settings after Flashing?

£700 board - yeah I'd expect more. Meanwhile my £160 X570 has 5/8 cores at 4.6+ Solid ASRock

Soldato
The system was running fine until he changed the BIOS. OK, It should be expected that a later BIOS is more stable.

First rule of BIOS flashing, if it's stable on the current BIOS then leave it. Many manufacturers on their BIOS pages state that they do not recommend updating the BIOS if your system is already running normally.

Also he rebooted with base settings, when he should have reapplied his saved BIOS settings after Flashing?

£700 board - yeah I'd expect more. Meanwhile my £160 X570 has 5/8 cores at 4.6+ Solid ASRock

Any BIOS settings including saved profiles get wiped when you flash the BIOS.

Soldato
"Its one of the reasons why my personal builds and stuff always end up being on Intel is because of overall stability I would take overall stability over maximum core count or value or any of that stuff any day"

Jay

Glad someone high profile on YouTube is actually talking about this finally, this is the main reason why I still chose to build an Intel rig when everyone on here was ramming AMD down my throat, I will always choose stability over performance, I look over these AMD threads and they are just full of people waiting for BIOS updates, not happy with temps, voltages etc, I just can't be doing that, I just want to whack my parts together, boot it up and forget about it.

Same here - my 8700k rig hasn't given me a single issue. It's been rock solid stable for the last 2 years and I've never done a single BIOS update.
And that's all I expect - I don't have time to be doing bios updates, RMA'ing parts and having to diagnose, test and fix bugs.

Associate
Could he get any madder :D
We've all been there and have cursing whatever is screwing up our day, but it does sound like there are too many issues that seem to be affecting AMD users. But from what I have seen MSI have had the most problematic components and MSI have been recommended to many people.

I've been lucky with my old x370 Asus motherboard...it works! but from previous experiences, don't update immediately. In fact i'm running the first BIOS to support the Ryzen 3000 series. And ASUS do take an age to update, ABB only just came out, but seems to me ASUS BIOSes are far more stable than MSI.

Associate
Same here - my 8700k rig hasn't given me a single issue. It's been rock solid stable for the last 2 years and I've never done a single BIOS update.
And that's all I expect - I don't have time to be doing bios updates, RMA'ing parts and having to diagnose, test and fix bugs.

Maybe he is just unlucky. My 2700x was stable too, in fact I don't remember the number of issues he described affecting Ryzen 1000,2000 users compared to 3000.

Soldato

Jay

Yes well it's true. I've owned a 1700, 2700x and now a 3700x and it hasn't been plain sailing.

But it's mostly down to the ram.

My 1700 was a poor clocker and ram was not stable at anything over 3033MHz (8 Pack Ram). 2700x was the same story until the first BIOS which supported the 3000 series and suddenly DOCP (3200MHz) worked.

Now with the 3700x I can run it at 3600MHz but haven't proved 24/7 365 stability yet. It's close but not 100% yet. Last time I thought I had it after a few weeks of stability and many hours of gaming it froze.

Now I have put in all the sub timings and power supply requirements form the dram calc and waiting to see if this fixes it.

A better quality mobo would probably help.

Last edited:
Soldato
Maybe he is just unlucky. My 2700x was stable too, in fact I don't remember the number of issues he described affecting Ryzen 1000,2000 users compared to 3000.

Wonder if that's to do with the many chipsets Zen 2 is actually 'compatible' with. Maybe 1000 came out on just one chipset. Guess MOBO BIOS writing teams have to now write for many chipsets?

Soldato
See this kind of thing scares me off upgrading to the 3950x, stability is super important to me

Ahh the Nvidia/Intel shill is here. You haven't replied to my other post yet.

Jay

Jay is generalizing for no reason. He/MSI bricked his MSI MEG, nothing to do with AMD. I had no issues with the Asrock X570 Taichi, neither my brother with his ancient Asus X370 CH6.
Neither have seen millions of others reporting such issues. And many have heavily overclocked the IF & RAM.

The problem is Jay in this case. He manually set the manually voltage to 1.35v, which is dangerous. Should have leave it alone, but is a muppet as everyone else calls him on reddit this morning.

Permabanned

Jay

Tbf my 3600 has been rock solid since it was installed. I think the people having issues are the ones trying to overclock as far as they can.

I’ve installed every bios update and had no issues with any of them.

Soldato
Ahh the Nvidia/Intel shill is here. You haven't replied to my other post yet.

Jay is generalizing for no reason. He/MSI bricked his MSI MEG, nothing to do with AMD. I had no issues with the Asrock X570 Taichi, neither my brother with his ancient Asus X370 CH6.
Neither have seen millions of others reporting such issues. And many have heavily overclocked the IF & RAM.

I agree. These sort of issues are extremely rare.

Soldato
I agree. These sort of issues are extremely rare.

He manually set the force all core voltage to 1.35v and is the reason of all his issues, thats why the CPU should be left alone or even put a offset -0.05v/0.10v if you want 50/100mhz less.
That alone is the reason he is getting pelted with rotten tomatoes today.

Also he has changed the video title after a lot of criticism for his issues and mistakes blame them on AMD :rolleyes:

Soldato
Tbf my 3600 has been rock solid since it was installed. I think the people having issues are the ones trying to overclock as far as they can.

I’ve installed every bios update and had no issues with any of them.

This^^^ and those that do OC either RAM or CPU as far as they can, and spend many hours doing it are enthusiasts. These are the people, the 'not so enthusiast' (me) look to for their findings and apply their knowledge to our machines.

Slapping some components together, applying XMP and thats it, and no OC on the CPU is what many people do. Some are just more enthusiast and find the deeply technical stuff interesting. I don't find benching interesting at all to get a highest score from pushing tech to the limits. But it is the knowledge of these guys that has made OC'ing accessible to the layman - on older tech. If you grab new arch then expect some time before maximum performance is realised. Same for drivers on Gfx cards

Back
Top Bottom