*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Soldato
32 from what I've read, could be wrong though as that was a very old dev post during beta and might have changed back, have certainly seen shots with more, distant worlds had an instance with over 100 in it at one point.

I've never paid any attention to it, depends entirely on time of day and location in game not to mention connection speed between the various peers etc etc.

32 is a good number... But suspect that's not around a "busy area of the game though"? eg: In the middle of a combat zone, where there would be bucket loads of stuff to keep in sync between those >32 CMDRs?

Anyway, 16-32 is a good number given the technology.

Soldato
Thoughts on this new "Arx" in game currency they are introducing in the September update? I personally have never spent a single penny on ship kits, paint jobs etc and have no intention of ever doing so, so the apparent small amount you are supposed to get for free for just "playing the game" for me is fair enough, as it will eventually build up enough to buy something. The one thing that would interest me would be a COVAS pack, but apparently this would take like 6 months of play to build up enough. But as I say, since I would never pay actual dosh for anything extra in this game, it is at least something that would happen by itself, without my having to do anything I wouldn't be doing anyway.

We will just have to trust them to keep it to cosmetics and so forth, but the suspicion will always be there that it will morph into a "gameplay skip" mechanic, or god forbid required to open loot boxes, just as the governing bodies are starting to make noises about this very topic.

Surprised it is completely replacing directly spending cash in the shop though to be honest. Seems you if you want to use the online shop you have to buy Arx first with real money, then spend that on kits etc, I guess they just want to you to have to get used to using the Arx currency whether you want to or not.

Soldato
We will just have to trust them to keep it to cosmetics and so forth, but the suspicion will always be there that it will morph into a "gameplay skip" mechanic, or god forbid required to open loot boxes, just as the governing bodies are starting to make noises about this very topic.

They could have done that at any point previously regardless of arx.

Soldato
Thoughts on this new "Arx" in game currency they are introducing in the September update? I personally have never spent a single penny on ship kits, paint jobs etc and have no intention of ever doing so, so the apparent small amount you are supposed to get for free for just "playing the game" for me is fair enough, as it will eventually build up enough to buy something. The one thing that would interest me would be a COVAS pack, but apparently this would take like 6 months of play to build up enough. But as I say, since I would never pay actual dosh for anything extra in this game, it is at least something that would happen by itself, without my having to do anything I wouldn't be doing anyway.

Surprised it is completely replacing directly spending cash in the shop though to be honest. Seems you if you want to use the online shop you have to buy Arx first with real money, then spend that on kits etc, I guess they just want to you to have to get used to using the Arx currency whether you want to or not.

Not fussed one way or another really.

I'd suggest the reason for going "Arx" is as follows:-
- Allows them to offer in game rewards for paintjobs and the such. This is nice. One can only hope they incorporate bonus ones into CGs or the like from time to time?
- Allows them to market the notion of spending more on cosmetics it worthwhile? ie: The bigger packages ramp up the number of Arx per £. ie: Rewarding spending more. Why only buy £5 of Arx, when £10 will get you more than twice the amount!?
- Allows them to "benefit" from people having unused Arx, and feeling they may as well buy some more so as to use them. ie: You only have 820 Arx left which isn't enough to do anything with. But if you buy some more, then you can utilise them.

Note: You can earn 400 Arx in game per week. We have no idea how much effort (grind) this involves. This equates to 30p or so of store credit. So if you want to buy a ship kit, you'll need to do that for a most of a year.

Soldato
I think in some ways it is targeted at the likes of me who would never even pay for the first little ship colour pack or whatever. I guess there will be a group who once they buy their first pack, they will get the "bug" so to speak, and be more likely to want to spend more sooner.

D2EA posted a theory it will take 6 hours of gameplay a week to get your 400 free arx, based on him spotting the rate at which it increased while watching the FDEV stream on it.

Soldato
I started out on the PC version, Cobra IV etc, then started on xbox, then back to PC, and now back on xbox version. Phew! Currently trying to make a mega LY Asp Explorer. Up to 57 ly, but need guardian module and some more stripping yet.

Soldato
I think in some ways it is targeted at the likes of me who would never even pay for the first little ship colour pack or whatever. I guess there will be a group who once they buy their first pack, they will get the "bug" so to speak, and be more likely to want to spend more sooner.

D2EA posted a theory it will take 6 hours of gameplay a week to get your 400 free arx, based on him spotting the rate at which it increased while watching the FDEV stream on it.
...and it's what sort of gameplay rewards you with Arx too? Or is simply being logged into the game enough to slowly acrue them?

Soldato
According to D2EA he spotted that the rate it increased seem to be exactly 1 arx per minute, though couldn't say for definite if you had to be doing something specific or not, or just be logged in sitting in a station. He said himself that he thinks just being logged in would not be likely, but myself I think this is probably what it will be, since my guess is they just want to give you a small free amount just to get you in to the idea, and pick up the most casual players alike.

Soldato
According to D2EA he spotted that the rate it increased seem to be exactly 1 arx per minute, though couldn't say for definite if you had to be doing something specific or not, or just be logged in sitting in a station. He said himself that he thinks just being logged in would not be likely, but myself I think this is probably what it will be, since my guess is they just want to give you a small free amount just to get you in to the idea, and pick up the most casual players alike.
Be interesting to see what FD determine is "you doing something". eg: If I just drop from SC, and fly forwards, or fly in circles, am I doing something and therefore worthy of Arx?

Soldato
Be interesting to see what FD determine is "you doing something". eg: If I just drop from SC, and fly forwards, or fly in circles, am I doing something and therefore worthy of Arx?
That would be amusing if it turns out that you can just leave your ship parked outside the station and earn them :D

Soldato
Whatever it is I suspect it will be something that you could macro if you were that way inclined, but by the sounds of it just normal gameplay would see you through, and it is only 6 hours, if D2EA is correct. They would have to cover all play styles in any case, which for some may even just be flying around one system for a bit. I will probably have something to do with dropping into SC or something which prompts the game to communicate with the server.

Soldato
That would be amusing if it turns out that you can just leave your ship parked outside the station and earn them :D
I suspect that's all it will be... Trying to deduce "you are doing something" sounds problematic to me!?

What to say flying along in a straight line above a planet or in normal space isn't me doing something?

Soldato
Yes, I suspect the 2020 update is going to be a massive let down. Don't get me wrong I still love playing the game but FD do themselves no favours at all.

Back
Top Bottom