• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

really getting fed up with the posts stating RTX/DLSS does not work this gen

Soldato
live is very short people - if you have sufficient disposable income and you feel that the price of an item is justified then you should feel no guilt in buying it. I have reached a point in my life (47) where i have a good job and i am lucky in that i have a decent disposable income left over once my bills are paid. Now i could go and spend that going to the pub every weekend but i feel thats a waste of money. Others however may take that option and thats up to them - who am i to judge.

most of us buy stuff that we dont really need. I dont necessarily need a car to get to work as i could take the bus. But wheres the fun in that. I could buy a cheap economical diesel car to get to work but again where is the fun in that. I bought a fast premium German car which was expensive (bought second hand though) but that car offers me so much fun on my commute to work that it was worth the additional expense over a cheaper more sensible vehicle. therefore the additional price on that car was worth it to me. Others would say that my choice was daft as i am paying higher repair costs, higher fuel costs than if i got a more economical vehicle. to me though its worth the expense.

There's two sides to it though. It's wrong to skimp for the sake of fun/happiness, I'd never do that. However, if you have too much fun when you're young, you'll have no fun when you retire and have to rely on a state pension. That's the way I look at it. I like to find a happy medium so I can have moderate fun now as well as moderate fun when I retire.

I know people who never save money. If they have £20 left over before payday, they'll go shopping so it's not wasted. They say stuff like "life's too short, I could get hit by a car tomorrow".

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I'm afraid I hate debt so my priorities are to be debt free as quick as possible and by debt I basically mean mortgage.

I get far more pleasure saving that spending, unless that spending is paying off debt, then it's a great feeling. I basically don't want to be reliant on having to work to keep a roof over my head. So until that time I will scrutinise every unnecessary purchase. I won't go into any more debt to buy material things, so unless I can afford something outright then I don't purchase it. It's why I have kept my car for 10 years, I won't go into debt for another one, and thankfully I don't use it that much, so it doesn't cost much in wear and tear either.

Ideally I want to be mortgage free by 45, so I can go part time and not have to worry about never having a roof over my head, that gives me far more pleasure than any material purchase like cars, pc parts, holidays etc.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I'm afraid I hate debt so my priorities are to be debt free as quick as possible and by debt I basically mean mortgage.

I get far more pleasure saving that spending, unless that spending is paying off debt, then it's a great feeling. I basically don't want to be reliant on having to work to keep a roof over my head. So until that time I will scrutinise every unnecessary purchase. I won't go into any more debt to buy material things, so unless I can afford something outright then I don't purchase it. It's why I have kept my car for 10 years, I won't go into debt for another one, and thankfully I don't use it that much, so it doesn't cost much in wear and tear either.

Ideally I want to be mortgage free by 45, so I can go part time and not have to worry about never having a roof over my head, that gives me far more pleasure than any material purchase like cars, pc parts, holidays etc.
Sounds good to me. Still worth setting a little aside as disposable income though imo.

Soldato
Digital foundry tried to justify RT on a below 720p crt monitor lol. shill or fool?

they don't shill. Unless everyone pays them cause they have said nice things at one point in time for everyone including nvidia AMDMicrosoft Sony Nintendo etc.

If you've watched DF for a while you'll know they have some "interesting" tastes.

for example they swear by motion blur, something most gamers hate. And most recently they've got hold of a old crt tv screen and been testing it out and saying it's better than a lcd screen.

I disagree with their assessment but it's funny as hell to see them jam games in a CRT. The Ray Tracing thing has nothing to do with it, they've had the screen for a while now, they didn't get it just to suggest everyone should play rayvtracing on a crt tv.but don't get wrong, LCD screens are all junk but that's besides the point, I still wouldn't use a crt.

Associate
they don't shill. Unless everyone pays them cause they have said nice things at one point in time for everyone including nvidia AMDMicrosoft Sony Nintendo etc.

If you've watched DF for a while you'll know they have some "interesting" tastes.

for example they swear by motion blur, something most gamers hate. And most recently they've got hold of a old crt tv screen and been testing it out and saying it's better than a lcd screen.

I disagree with their assessment but it's funny as hell to see them jam games in a CRT. The Ray Tracing thing has nothing to do with it, they've had the screen for a while now, they didn't get it just to suggest everyone should play rayvtracing on a crt tv.but don't get wrong, LCD screens are all junk but that's besides the point, I still wouldn't use a crt.
They bought a 1440p crtv thats only place in gaming would be competitive multiplayer gaming. Ran it at sub 720p levels on only RT single player games. They failed at every level. They were like "dir you can play at sub 720p and get great response times then use RT, dir" at least that's how I heard it.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

There was a guy on this forum that pretty much showed how biased they are, forgot who it was. I do not trust them personally, not that I fully trust any source. I just take data from many difference sources and come to my own conclusion.

Man of Honour

Keep it up man. It's worth it. Well done!

Soldato
There was a guy on this forum that pretty much showed how biased they are, forgot who it was. I do not trust them personally, not that I fully trust any source. I just take data from many difference sources and come to my own conclusion.
Any link to the post? Keen to read

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Any link to the post? Keen to read
I think it was this post:

I wouldn't put too much faith into digital foundry mate. They did a video on red dead 2 and HDR and claimed it was amazing.

It turned out that HDR mode was totally broken and didn't work correctly, it also gave a worst image quality then if you just disabled the HDR mode. The image was washed out and not as sharp with hdr on and this was on top of hdr actually not working. It was really poor.
Rockstar came out a week or so later and admitted it was broken and promised a fix which didn't come for many months.

After this video I have lost total faith in DF and see allot of their videos as just PR for the games.

Maybe you can ask Razor to go into more detail.

Soldato
Some people would sell their granny down the river for Nvidia's latest iteration then try and justify it after saying "she was just sitting there doing nothing.."

If you have extra money to spend on a hobby great, but don't compromise your own principles then turn things around into the title of this thread.

If something seems too good to be true and you're naive enough to believe and buy into it, own it.

Soldato
Heck despite the drawbacks there are still tons of people who refuse to use anything but plasma screens even in 2019

Back
Top Bottom