The Tesla Thread

Soldato
Why would you want this when you have adaptive cruise control (i.e. autopilot) so easily accessible? Autopilot works well on most roads that you would want to use such a function. You're asking for old tech that has been massively surpassed.

I have adaptive cruise control today and it's not suitable for urban areas and A roads or motorways with heavy but flowing traffic. There are also a lot of complaints online about Autopilot having phantom braking issues.

I find the speed limiter very useful in a lot of situations, and quite simply I'd like the same functionality on the Model 3 regardless of Autopilot.

Soldato
Like every other car. Push a "LIM" button on the steering wheel or stalk at any given speed, and allow the driver to override it if they push the accelerator past a certain point.

Potentially programmable apart from a dedicated button for a particular feature. I do on occasion miss having maybe 1 or 2 custom buttons to access certain features quicker. Driving mode being one of them as Chill mode is an absolute limit of power/torque. I reckon a double tap on the "car" icon could easily do that or 100% throttle to change the mode back to standard.

Soldato
They are pointless features.

fanboy is strong here. The finish is crap on all Tesla’s I’ve seen, Orange peel paint is another example. So bad a poster in here wanted to reject his car.

Sure they are leading the way on integration etc but having Netflix is not a substitute for poor general car features

Ah yes, the good old fanboy attempted put down, classic internet knobishness.

Firstly, we are on a 'discussion' forum on a thread titled "Tesla Model 3" should we all share the same opinion that would make this place much better for you huh? Secondly, the person who 'almost' rejected their car didn't, did they? They accepted it and said how great it was etc. Then there is all the other people in here who have one and haven't mentioned and more than likely don't give a flying flamingo about a non-important part of the car.

Oh, and yes total fanyboy again as we have a Mercedes and have just ordered a BEV Hyundai Ionic, so yup, I have all three models from Tesla and would buy anything they made :rolleyes:

Any more clever comments? Glad to see you picked up on things like smart summon, and sentry mode, oh no wait you ignored them...

Soldato
Potentially programmable apart from a dedicated button for a particular feature. I do on occasion miss having maybe 1 or 2 custom buttons to access certain features quicker. Driving mode being one of them as Chill mode is an absolute limit of power/torque. I reckon a double tap on the "car" icon could easily do that or 100% throttle to change the mode back to standard.

Netflix AND chill :p

Soldato
Had a weird stand off this morning at a public charging point.

Dropped daughter off at swimming at 7am and went to the local free 50kw Dc charger. Plugged in, started charging (bear in mind it's 7am on a Saturday morning).

After about 10 minutes - BMW i3 turned up. Parked right in front of my car at 90 degrees. Effectively blocking me in - Old guy gets out - walks over to charger and then decides to go walk round my car. I'm sitting watching youtube.

He then proceeds to walk up to the charging cable which is plugged into my car, and have a close look at it to check I'm charging. He then tours the car for another lap. - I popped the window to ask if I can help him?

His response - " your not allowed to charge here with that car" - eh?? what??

I politely informed him that it's a public charger and I would be finished in about 10 minutes if he wanted to wait. There is no rules on what type of car can use it I said.

He then wanders back to his car whilst muttering out loud - "bloody ridiculous at this time in the morning with these big cars " and literally wheel spins out the car park.

All very odd - settled back into watching baseball highlights on youtube!:D:D

Associate
This is why free charging is a bad idea. People do crazy things for a few quid of free electricity...

I don't really "get it" that somebody would be using a charger at 7am!

I thought that the entire premise of buying an electric car is that you charge it up overnight at the cost of *pennies*. So not content with that massive saving over a petrol car, consumers want FREE electricity instead. I mean, stand back and look at this entirely dispassionately and objectively, charging your car at 7am is taking the pish, is it not?

When I said that I don't "get it", that doesn't mean that I don't understand it. I understand it entirely. Some people are basically free loaders. And no, I'm not just talking about that i3 driver.

Sorry if pointing that out upsets some people, but it needs to be said to highlight the unsocial behaviour.

At the present moment, I'm loosely considering swapping my F80 M3 (<20mpg RWD, hopeless in the wet (I also have an Evo VI for the winter!)) for a Model 3 Performance (faster straight line and way cheaper to run, but how does it handle in corners? and I don't like the loss of normal instruments...), but it isn't a simple choice. Factored into my own calculations, however, is that I'd be charging up on *my own* electricity. Not relying on charging points to increase my savings by a *tiny* amount...

Soldato

Because he had dropped his daughter off for swimming and there was a charger there he could use for free. Why wouldn't he? That is, after all, exactly what it's there for. It doesn't just cost "pennies" to charge a car with a battery the size of a Model 3 at home. Well it does, but hundreds of them. And that's taking into account being on a tarrif with a good night time rate.

booyaka, it sounds like the BMW i3 driver was quite confused. He probably did think you were driving a PHEV and I appreciate it can be annoying when people with hybrids and tiny "self-charging" batteries 'juice up' publically. But unless there was a sign there saying "no hybrids allowed" or something to that effect, tough even in that case! And "big car"... Haha. Maybe compared to his squished up i3.

Soldato

I thought that the entire premise of buying an electric car is that you charge it up overnight at the cost of *pennies*. So not content with that massive saving over a petrol car, consumers want FREE electricity instead. I mean, stand back and look at this entirely dispassionately and objectively, charging your car at 7am is taking the pish, is it not?

When I said that I don't "get it", that doesn't mean that I don't understand it. I understand it entirely. Some people are basically free loaders. And no, I'm not just talking about that i3 driver.

Sorry if pointing that out upsets some people, but it needs to be said to highlight the unsocial behaviour.

At the present moment, I'm loosely considering swapping my F80 M3 (<20mpg RWD, hopeless in the wet (I also have an Evo VI for the winter!)) for a Model 3 Performance (faster straight line and way cheaper to run, but how does it handle in corners? and I don't like the loss of normal instruments...), but it isn't a simple choice. Factored into my own calculations, however, is that I'd be charging up on *my own* electricity. Not relying on charging points to increase my savings by a *tiny* amount...

No offence taken - However if you had read my previous comments on the last page, I'm currently having issues with home charging and other public AC chargers so that specific DC charger is my current go to. It's my only way of getting a quick reliable top up without resorting to very slow home/public AC charging. (can't reliably charge at home due to some kind of fault with car)

Tesla are investigating.

But why not take advantage of the free charging - that's what it's there for.....I topped up from 55% to 90% in 25 minutes whilst watching youtube and drinking a coffee.

I could have sat in the swimming pool instead.

Soldato
However if you had read my previous comments on the last page
seems a bit worrying if Tesla not immediately providing a plan of action based on your comprehensive fault analysis.
... presumably you spoke to someone and texting is not their only mode of communication.

- don't they access car logs remotely for additional diagnostics.

Soldato
seems a bit worrying if Tesla not immediately providing a plan of action based on your comprehensive fault analysis.
... presumably you spoke to someone and texting is not their only mode of communication.

- don't they access car logs remotely for additional diagnostics.

I believe they do access the data remotely - so far only text but I'll be on them monday morning for a proper email/phone discussion.

Associate
No offence taken - However if you had read my previous comments on the last page, I'm currently having issues with home charging and other public AC chargers so that specific DC charger is my current go to. It's my only way of getting a quick reliable top up without resorting to very slow home/public AC charging. (can't reliably charge at home due to some kind of fault with car)

Tesla are investigating.

But why not take advantage of the free charging - that's what it's there for.....I topped up from 55% to 90% in 25 minutes whilst watching youtube and drinking a coffee.

I could have sat in the swimming pool instead.

Seems fair.
However, as a direct observer of the behaviour that this model of "free charging" can incite, I'm pretty sure that you get the point I'm making. At least I hope that you can...

Because he had dropped his daughter off for swimming and there was a charger there he could use for free. Why wouldn't he? That is, after all, exactly what it's there for. It doesn't just cost "pennies" to charge a car with a battery the size of a Model 3 at home. Well it does, but hundreds of them. And that's taking into account being on a tarrif with a good night time rate.

booyaka, it sounds like the BMW i3 driver was quite confused. He probably did think you were driving a PHEV and I appreciate it can be annoying when people with hybrids and tiny "self-charging" batteries 'juice up' publically. But unless there was a sign there saying "no hybrids allowed" or something to that effect, tough even in that case! And "big car"... Haha. Maybe compared to his squished up i3.

How much does it generally cost to charge at home overnight? let's say after a 50mile usage every day?

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
How much does it generally cost to charge at home overnight? let's say after a 50mile usage every day?

Probably a bit over £1 per day on a decent tariff. Although with such a tariff you would be paying more for other electricity you use as the unit cost is increased during the day to compensate. So not expensive at all, but it would add up and if you can charge for free during your daily routine why wouldn't you? All booyaka was doing was making use of the infrastructure which is there to be used in exactly that way. And as he said, charging at home wasn't an alternative for him at the moment anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom