I don't really know what I'm doing!! Play along!!

Associate
Actually concerned that getting a cheap Windows key was quite an error!!

Firstly, Nivida will only install 'DCH' drivers (whatever they are) and not the nones I'm used to downloading.

Secondly, and inexplicably, the date and time keeps changing to about 8 hours head?!?!?

If I buy a key from here, will I get it straight away, and will it sort all this nonsense out??

Windows 10 keys are usually delivered automatically within 5 minutes of purchase on the bay.

Windows 10 keys are not bound to time zones or different countries so I can't see why it would effect the time moving 8 hours ahead.

I can only think that you have the wrong time zone on the windows settings.

Edit personally I wouldn't pay full price for a Windows 10 keys but it's not my money.

Soldato
OP
Windows 10 keys are usually delivered automatically within 5 minutes of purchase on the bay.

Windows 10 keys are not bound to time zones or different countries so I can't see why it would effect the time moving 8 hours ahead.

I can only think that you have the wrong time zone on the windows settings.
Just checked. Windows is set to the right time zone, and is set to update automatically.

I just manually adjusted the time (by 7 hours) and restarted, and again it's telling me that it's lust sfter half past six in the evening?!

Edit: Setting the 'system time' in the bios has fixed it!!

Last edited:
Associate
Yea use ryzen master for temps as the other programs are buggy for readings.After you can oc the ram and the cpu a little.

I am using a unactivated windows at the moment you only lose customisation's and have the watermark on bottom right.

Soldato
before I fork out £100 odd, are there any other legal but less pricey ways to activate windows?
Download win10 iso from microsoft website. Install from that and select activate later. After a few days/weeks (can’t remember exact times) you’ll get a watermark appear on the desktop telling you it’s not activated but apart from that and a few cosmetic customisation options being unavailable it’ll work fine. I’d guess the Windows key is some kind of screwy oem key that’s not for resale. Get back on with kinguin, they should refund or raise a case with PayPal (you did pay them with PayPal ;))

have a nosey round the members market on here, you’ll often enough get folk selling legit keys.

Soldato
OP
Nice one boys!!

I think I'm done!! Even downloaded the various softwares to change all the silly RGB stuff that's on everything these days to a nice static white across the board...

Bios updated and this is all the info I don't understand...

W2rJLBO.jpg

I'll get Ryzen Master now, take some screenies, then I'll take some gratuitous shots of the finished article and chuck up a list of everything.

EDIT:

DsYLS6g.jpg

No idea what any of that means?!?!

I wonder if a new PC can magically make me better at PUBG??

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just ran Cinebench. 3568 points, no clue if that's good or bad, but hoping someone here can tell me whether it's about right??

The reason I ran it was to check the CPU temp. By the end it reached 70 degrees, and as soon as it was finished immediately dropped to 36. That's ok, right??

System is almost silent to!! WHich I'm really pleased about...

Any other benchmarks I should run? Not sure about overclocking. Dabbled in it when I built my first PC, never done it since, wouldn't have a clue.

Soldato
OP
d3OQNMJ.jpg

01g1KNj.jpg

Before pic below:
MqaB5Wj.jpg

I've bought bits over time, and just grabbed them when they're cheap, so hopefully I've saved a little here and there...

Specs and prices:-

PC
Ryzen 3600 (advised against the 'X' and the 3700X as there's no real 'productivity' going on here) - £180
Gigabyte Aorus Elite x570 Motherboard - £190
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Gaming OC - £630
Gigabyte Aorus P750 Gold Plus PSU - £80
16Gb (2 x 8Gb) Kingston Hyper X Fury DDR4 3200MHz - £80
Sabrent 1Tb M.2 SSD - £120 (dedicated 'Steam' drive)
Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb M.2 SSD - ~£95 (OS drive)
Seagate FireCuda 1Tb Hybrid HDD - ~£60 (General storage)
bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU cooler - ~£75
bequiet! Pure Base 500 case - £75 (black with tempered glass side panel)

PC Total - £1585

Peripherals

Razer Blackwidow Elite Keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite Mouse - ~£170 (bought as a bundle)
Razer Nommo Chroma - £100
Asus Predator X34 3440x1440 (A1 Refurbished) - £400

Peripherals Total - £670

Ikea VÄSTANBY desktop £115

Grand Total £2370

Everyone always asks about the desk too, so it's a 'Calia' from John Lewis. Bought it years ago, but I think it's about £500.
Needed more space for the monitor and to get the PC up off the floor, so I simply bought the VÄSTANBY from Ikea. Perfect size.
I was going to pu some sort of sticky pad beneath it to stop it sliding around, but it's rock solid under the weight of everything.

Next up, I need a new chair (how about a nice discount on a Noble OcUK?! ;) ), and a new headset. I think I'm going for the Arctis Wirelss Pro...

Any suggestions on what else I could/should do, anything I could change, anything I could have done better will be appreciated.

Thanks for playing!!

Soldato
OP
Right, sadly, the PSU is playing up :(

Only started after I'd been playing around in PUBG for 20 minutes, but now it's constant...

It now makes a constant 'clicking' noise, but I can't work it out because it's not the fan and there are no other moving parts?!

Also noticed really bad coil wine from the GPU, but research suggests that this may be down to a crappy PSU and not necessarily the GPU itself. Is that right?

Audio clip below because my description is rubbish!!

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1lISial5bCP

Associate
d3OQNMJ.jpg

01g1KNj.jpg

Before pic below:
MqaB5Wj.jpg

I've bought bits over time, and just grabbed them when they're cheap, so hopefully I've saved a little here and there...

Specs and prices:-

PC
Ryzen 3600 (advised against the 'X' and the 3700X as there's no real 'productivity' going on here) - £180
Gigabyte Aorus Elite x570 Motherboard - £190
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Gaming OC - £630
Gigabyte Aorus P750 Gold Plus PSU - £80
16Gb (2 x 8Gb) Kingston Hyper X Fury DDR4 3200MHz - £80
Sabrent 1Tb M.2 SSD - £120 (dedicated 'Steam' drive)
Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb M.2 SSD - ~£95 (OS drive)
Seagate FireCuda 1Tb Hybrid HDD - ~£60 (General storage)
bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU cooler - ~£75
bequiet! Pure Base 500 case - £75 (black with tempered glass side panel)

PC Total - £1585

Peripherals

Razer Blackwidow Elite Keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite Mouse - ~£170 (bought as a bundle)
Razer Nommo Chroma - £100
Asus Predator X34 3440x1440 (A1 Refurbished) - £400

Peripherals Total - £670

Ikea VÄSTANBY desktop £115

Grand Total £2370

Everyone always asks about the desk too, so it's a 'Calia' from John Lewis. Bought it years ago, but I think it's about £500.
Needed more space for the monitor and to get the PC up off the floor, so I simply bought the VÄSTANBY from Ikea. Perfect size.
I was going to pu some sort of sticky pad beneath it to stop it sliding around, but it's rock solid under the weight of everything.

Next up, I need a new chair (how about a nice discount on a Noble OcUK?! ;) ), and a new headset. I think I'm going for the Arctis Wirelss Pro...

Any suggestions on what else I could/should do, anything I could change, anything I could have done better will be appreciated.

Thanks for playing!!

What's your monitor?

Back
Top Bottom