The **Now Eating** Thread

Soldato
Indeed - stopped watching GBBO several years ago this is much better -

so the pastry creams pretty white, as opposed to yellow why's that ?
you had done a millefeuille, a while back too - no - but the 5 a day concession is attractive.

Soldato
Yes, it has come out a bit whiter than I thought it would, though looks fairly white in this video as well. Not the recipe I used, mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjJ6vwbFKyw&t=7m55s

Don't know actually, must be the egg yolks I used, or I guess the colour got diluted by the milk, cornflour and flour. Oh also, I didn't add any butter to it like in some recipes, maybe that would have yellowed it more. Tastes lovely though. I don't really know what millefeuille is, but I did puff pastry if that's what you mean?

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Got plastered and lost in London before stumbling across Pizza Pilgrims near London Bridge. I somehow lost the original not before Google went mental on the saturation effects with a copy. This is a double pepepeponi with two different varieties of pepperoni. They added chilli in it for a kick and it was sublime. The place had a lovely, fun atmosphere and I really did enjoy it. Think it was £14 or so...

tjllIUf.jpg

Soldato
Dinner last night was baked sweet potato, honey/rosemary sauteed carrots and a med/rare sirloin.

IMG-20191106-174644.png

looks burnt to me lol

Looks pretty much spot on for a pizza cooked in a wood oven.

Soldato
Looks pretty much spot on for a pizza cooked in a wood oven.
+1
Typically cooking pizza in an electric oven, I think I often overcook the moz on a pizza and boil it (like you can ruin cheese-on-toast)... but that looks fine;

Merlin5 they had creme patisserie on the masterchef tasks yesterday ... probably the only bits of masterchef worth watching,
I hadn't realised you put gobs of butter into it at the end.... after adding the heated cream to the roux, so I guess the yewllow colour can come from that.

Soldato
For lunch I ate at John Lewis' restaurant called The Place To Eat' and had a beef with red wine, pancetta and rosemary pie with creamy mash and minted peas. Absolutely delicious.

20191107-134135.jpg

Right now I'm having a late dinner of mackerel, chopped green pepper, beetroot, boiled potatoes, cabbage and smashed avocado with lemon and pepper.

20191107-222543.jpg

Associate
+1
Merlin5 they had creme patisserie on the masterchef tasks yesterday ... probably the only bits of masterchef worth watching,
I hadn't realised you put gobs of butter into it at the end.... after adding the heated cream to the roux, so I guess the yewllow colour can come from that.

You're talking about creme mousseline if butter is being adding, creme pat is just thick custard.

Soldato

Sorry jpaul, I missed your message towards me. Thanks for the heads up, I'll watch that episode. Yes, some people, actually I think most people, add butter which I suppose makes it more yellow.

malolo, I'm sure you're correct. Most videos on youtube I've watched just describe making 'pastry cream' either with or without butter. So I'm guessing they (and me) didn't know the difference between creme patissiere and mousseline. I must admit I haven't heard of mousseline. Well, I say that, I thought that was a dictator.

(I'll get my coat...)

Back
Top Bottom