War of the Worlds

Permabanned
People hating on this but not actually given any reasons?

And I don't know much about the early 1900s, but it appeared as I would have expected and looked very authentic. Really well done in my opinion.

However, the writing is so moronic it rubs off on the characters making them utter imbeciles.

Namely, the meteorite scenes. You would call the army. Any astronomer who found that in their back yard wouldn't think it's a shooting star that 'snuffed' itself out (lol). And a shooting star is a meteor so wtf is he talking about?

But even when the ******* thing is rumbling and acting weirdly, they're all still pouring over it like it's perfectly natural.

No way that crowd would have stayed there that long. Even when a giant black sphere erupts and starts violently spinning in front of everyone, they're all just gawping up at it like a load of handicaps. Oh but the penny drops when people start to spontaneously combust at random. No, nothing amiss before.

When the army does turn up it's 'just a forest fire', no investigation necessary.

Let's dismount my horse when I'm home free so I can run back into the carnage risking myself and loved one, all for a bloody dog.

Soldato
People hating on this but not actually given any reasons
Well reasons have been listed but overall it’s just dire. Large space rock crashes in the forest but let’s have a cuppa in front of it because it’s ‘oh so British of us’ - bloody hell bbc calm down. The sense of straight forward logic went down the pan from that point onwards.

Associate
Think the most annoying thing is most of the plot problems and gaps in motiviation are caused by the changes made and if they'd done a more direct adaptation wouldn't have been issues.

Soldato
Just finished watching episode 2. This has a terrible budget and very poor writing.

When discussing the cause of the invasion in the government building what to do we have 1 cabinet minister, 1 "General" ?, 1 politician, 1 lead.
When the army decides to take out the 2nd lander what do we have ? One pithy little field gun and a handful of men.
The old everyone is dead line rolled out we dont have enough men.
The old person in power not believing what he is seeing and lets capture the tech for the Empire.
London looking like its inhabited by about 100 people.

If this was a US drama it would have a room full of generals, politicians, a proper army unit, etc etc.

Soldato
It's the BBC, did you really expect them to do anything else besides ruin one of England's greatest novels with their usual **** scripts, cheap production and special effects that look like something from a poor PS2 game?

Soldato
It was so bad. Episode 2 just made me give up completely so I am out. Every few minutes you get pointless flash forwards that bring nothing to the table apart from taking the viewer away from the modern day storyline outright.

The scenes in the forest vs the Void Ship were comical. “Hey let’s just fire this canon UPWARDS at the levitating ship”, they then show the cannon at its stock position.

Just when the London scenes couldn’t get anymore comical, they decide to show a tripod moving over a building and yet the glass is intact whilst the building shakes. The damn things don’t even look scary - hell the BBC’s 1984 Tripods WERE terrifying.

Soldato
this really is amateur hour, when you compare something like this to the average episode of Rome or Deadwood, for example. Seriously, the wench jumps in the sea, then treks miles across the country and when they're outside the house her hair looks like she's maybe gone from the car to her front door on a slightly windy day and the sum total of the wear and tear on her outfit is that her coat is unbuttoned. Embarassing, there's simply no excuse for this level of production apathy.

Soldato
The flash-forwards are ruining it for me. The fact that the woman survives removes all tension surrounding her. This is compounded by the discussions around 'The Great Victory'.
Why the hell didn't they just film the story 'as is'?

Soldato
I was looking forward to this as love the original story and some of the adaptations. I've the first 2 episodes recorded but might just not bother as all reviews seem to say it is utter tripe. Better not to taint my love for the original I think.

Back
Top Bottom