Is the AppleTV 4K worth it still?

Soldato
What’s the best deal for the 4K these days? If it’s bought from a third party, does it still come with a year sub to AppleTV+ ?
It should do once you register it with your Apple ID. :)

Don’t you have an iPhone 11/pro though? You get 1 year with that. :)

Soldato
You need to look up what it CAN'T do... 4k hdr in 50 FPS is a no no. Its hardware locked to 4k 30fps.

To get hdr you have to drop to 1080p. You can get 4k standard def tho

Where are you getting this information? I’m watching a movie right now and it’s playing 4K HDR.

You can get 60fps if you enable “Match settings” within the Apple TV.

Soldato
You need to look up what it CAN'T do... 4k hdr in 50 FPS is a no no. Its hardware locked to 4k 30fps.

Just to show you what’s happening, here’s Alien playing in 4K HDR on my Apple TV 4K...

pe3qKrIh.jpg

Soldato

Why you harping on when literally the rest of the entire forum is telling you otherwise - Clovis just did a screen shot, my Apple TV is the same - it will easily play that.

Also as a side note the Apple TV A8 (I think) its by far the most powerful cpu/gpu in any tv media player, its complete loony overkill and does all this in hardware EXCEPT the YouTube codec, hence why it won't do YouTube decoding as they use their own codec.

Soldato
It’s not that it can’t do the codec, Apple refuses to licence Google’s proprietary software and Google refuses to use an open standard.

Typical Silicon Valley flexing resulting in a stand off, it’s nothing more than that and nothing we haven’t seen before.

Back
Top Bottom