• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Your reading of English is 100% not your's.
So another pointless video.

So you find fine a card just avg 35% faster been 300%-350% more expensive?
That's the whole argument about.

In addition that actually AMD only has a small gap to close beating the Nvidia flagship, not some double the performance card as some believe.

Soldato
Yeah but Nvidia definately do charge what they want. They have increased their profit margin to a record high. The increase in price parallels the increase in market share over the years.

When Nvidia's market share was smaller, they charged less profit. You can check the stats online.

You'd think so but they dont unfortunately.
So by your reconning Nvidia could charge million quid for a 2080ti and be fine??

Soldato
So by your reconning Nvidia could charge million quid for a 2080ti and be fine??

Given Gregsters & Deuse comments also, possibly for some anything is acceptable if done by Nvidia.

Hence some times I wonder if are paid shills between us in this forum. Normal intelligent consumers wouldn't write such insane arguments.

Especially some arguing that we bash Nvidia pricing because we cannot afford at 2080Ti.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Given Gregsters & Deuse comments also, possibly for some anything is acceptable if done by Nvidia.

Hence some times I wonder if are paid shills between us in this forum. Normal intelligent consumers wouldn't write such insane arguments.

Especially some arguing that we bash Nvidia pricing because we cannot afford at 2080Ti.
Childish post. I actually gave you fair reasoning but your response is like a kid in the playground.

Soldato
So you find fine a card just avg 35% faster been 300%-350% more expensive?
That's the whole argument about.

In addition that actually AMD only has a small gap to close beating the Nvidia flagship, not some double the performance card as some believe.
If you think over a third is small :confused: you don't do maths good :D

Hence some times I wonder if are paid shills between us in this forum.

Aren't you one of them :p

Soldato
A third isn't small but it is compared to the 300% price increase!

While I think the price of the 2080Ti is too high, I don't agree fully with what Panos is saying.

IF you only look at the average frame rate then it looks like the 2080Ti is only 35% faster than the 5700XT. But, that headline isn't the whole story. If you watch the whole video you will see that there is a large gap in actual framerate in most of the games. That's the difference between playable and unplayable. Not only that, but if you look at the frame times, the 1% lows and 0.1% lows you will see that the 2080Ti crushes the 5700XT. These are important numbers for gamers.

But, even that isn't the whole story. The 2080Ti also has Ray Tracing. Like it or not, or whether you think it's worth it or not, it's still there, you can't just ignore it when you are comparing cards.

Caporegime
While I think the price of the 2080Ti is too high, I don't agree fully with what Panos is saying.

IF you only look at the average frame rate then it looks like the 2080Ti is only 35% faster than the 5700XT. But, that headline isn't the whole story. If you watch the whole video you will see that there is a large gap in actual framerate in most of the games. That's the difference between playable and unplayable. Not only that, but if you look at the frame times, the 1% lows and 0.1% lows you will see that the 2080Ti crushes the 5700XT. These are important numbers for gamers.

But, even that isn't the whole story. The 2080Ti also has Ray Tracing. Like it or not, or whether you think it's worth it or not, it's still there, you can't just ignore it when you are comparing cards.

Its not the 1% / 0.1% lows alone. Its how much that varies, its high fluctuations in fast frame times that cause micro-stutter. So if you want to talk about frame times watch the frame times graph, the line on the 5700XT is clearly smoother, more consistent, better frame pacing. The 5700XT is keeping the frame times tighter and that can look like its lower but actually be smoother.

javg3x3.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
Think of it this way...

In your mind draw a wave graph, that what that line in the red box is.

(not exacting numbers, just an example)

Over a course of 1000ms (one second) the frame times vary from 2.5ms to 20ms, that's an average of 12ms, or 85 FPS 'ish. but that is quite a large difference from frame to frame, one frame is on screen for 2ms and the next 20ms, you see and feel that difference as micro stutter.

So this is where frame pacing comes in, you can't bring the 20ms down because the GPU can only render the frame as fast as it can, but you can slow down the 2.5ms to 10ms reducing that difference in frame times resulting in less extreme variation between frames, (squash that wave graph) the result is more fluid rendering, on a graph this looks worse because now you're averaging 15ms over 1 second. Which is 65 FPS.

Years ago AMD's early GCN GPU's had higher averages than Nvidia's GPU's, some reviewers picked up on the fact that despite this Nvidia's GPU's were smoother, this is because AMD didn't do any effective Frame Pacing, so while AMD on paper had high frame rates it was due to their frame times fluctuating wildly out of control resulting in stutter.

Last edited:
Caporegime
“AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics” faster than GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
Something interesting has just shown up in OpenVR benchmark results database. The leaderboard access is limited, as it requires a separate purchase. However, “muchcharles” (a member of AMD Sub-reddit) discovered a new entry in the database.

The OPN code of the CPU corresponds to Ryzen 7 4800H, but the clock speeds are not the same. This might be a variant of 4800H running at different TDP, or an early engineering sample (4800H has a boost clock of 4.2 GHz).

The bigger question appears when we are trying to figure out what the GPU in this test really is. It could be an unreleased graphics in an external GPU enclosure, a Radeon running in CrossFire, or the Big Navi.

We simply don’t know yet, but this is an interesting find for sure.

https://videocardz.com/newz/mysterious-amd-radeon-gpu-appears-in-openvr-benchmark-leaderboard

Soldato
Childish post. I actually gave you fair reasoning but your response is like a kid in the playground.

Seems you forgot your own posts mate.

Grow up Panos. It is a hobby at the end of the day and people choose to spend what they can afford on thrie hobby. Justify it how you want but it is pathetic reading in truth and comes across as bitter!
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33024660/

I’ve learnt a long time ago that people who constantly moan and bring up the same topics are just jealous and that’s their own way of trying to cope with their insecurity.
(from the same discussion)

Do you want me to continue?

Soldato
If the card turns out to be top-tier Navi, it'll be interesting to see Ray-Tracing performance. Priced decently i.e. 600 GBP or lower it'll fly off the shelves.
I don't believe that AMD is going to do RT the same way Nvidia does it though. It appears they are interested in some sort of hybrid solution. Wasn't there an article regarding their patent on it?

Caporegime
Big Navi is likely to be 60 CU, and RDNA 2, for whatever that is worth...

The 5700XT is 40 (2560 Shaders) so 60 is 3840. 5700XT + 50%, that could fit with <20% greater performance than 2080TI.

The Die size would be <400mm^2, still not big. Half the size of a 2080TI.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 2080Ti also has Ray Tracing. Like it or not, or whether you think it's worth it or not, it's still there, you can't just ignore it when you are comparing cards.

The 1080Ti launched at about £550. The 2080Ti launched at about £1100. They doubled the price for RTX.

So with RTX disabled, the 2080Ti is worth £550. Switch on RTX and it's worth £1100. So RTX as a platform is £550. If a 2080Ti owner buys 2 RTX games, it works out to £310 per game (£35 for a game then £275 for the platform split between the two games).

20 or 30 games and RTX as a platform would be worth it. I dont know how you can do anything but ignore RTX completely.

Soldato
The 1080Ti launched at about £550. The 2080Ti launched at about £1100. They doubled the price for RTX.

So with RTX disabled, the 2080Ti is worth £550. Switch on RTX and it's worth £1100. So RTX as a platform is £550. If a 2080Ti owner buys 2 RTX games, it works out to £310 per game (£35 for a game then £275 for the platform split between the two games).

20 or 30 games and RTX as a platform would be worth it. I dont know how you can do anything but ignore RTX completely.

The 1080ti launched at £700, not £550.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom