What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Jojo Rabbit at the weekend.

I haven't left the cinema feeling like that in a long time. Easily one of the best movies I've ever seen. The only issue I have is it felt like it was over in 10 minutes, not two hours. Absoutley incredible, how it can make you laugh and want to cry from a single scene. I can't wait to rewatch this.

9/10

Soldato
As good as some of the evil dead movies, or Dusk til Dawn, ... Tucker and Dale vs Evil (freeview Horror channel) got some great black humour,
look out for the repeat 7/10 - I need to watch Firefly now, also with Alan Tudyk.

Caporegime
Hidden Figures

The real(ish) story of three black women who worked for NASA at a time of racial segregation. Heart warming and feel good, whilst still casting light on the ugly history of race relations in the US.

Worth a watch 8/10

Soldato
Blade Runner 2049 - 7/10

Watched it due to many listing it in their top 10 from the last decade... but wasn't overly impressed. It was okay, but I can't help but feel it could have been about an hour shorter.

Commissario
A Million Little Pieces - 6/10

Wasn't too bad, nothing compared to the book and the story changed a bit from the book too. Quite emotional at times (as to be expected) and shot very well, just left me a bit disappointed - maybe I was expecting too much.

Man of Honour
Thanks for posting this! just watched it. Thought it was great.
You’re welcome :p

Arrival - 8/10

Good and interesting story with a bit of a different take on alien contact. Left things quite open I thought, when I do prefer all the answers though :)
Yes, great film. I really liked that:

There is effectively ‘two films’:

First, the sequence of events shown to you in the film, which is very enjoyable in its own right, although a little ambiguous at the end when the lead no longer perceives time in a linear way.

Secondly, what I perceived to be the actual chronological sequence of events. This is perhaps the only film I can think of that doesn’t ‘hold your hand’ in letting your realise that the whole thing is mostly out of order, to reflect that the lead (at the end of the film) no longer perceives time in a linear manner. In this manner, it’s then clear (sort of - at least in my interpretation) that her partner cannot forgive her for choosing to have the child knowing that it would die.... and that the child was born after the aliens left earth.

It then explains why the child was drawing (IIRC?) TV shows about her mum and dad speaking to animals... because at that point they were already famous for talking to the aliens (from years before). I thought that was brilliant - really subtle and clever.

I’m not saying that you perceived it one way or the other, just that I think the film works well whichever way you perceive it.

I’d also give it a strong 8 - I have to nitpick down from a 9 or 10 because it has a stupid gun-ho ‘dumb’ military presence that is so cliche and tired.

Soldato
There is effectively ‘two films’:

First, the sequence of events shown to you in the film, which is very enjoyable in its own right, although a little ambiguous at the end when the lead no longer perceives time in a linear way.

Secondly, what I perceived to be the actual chronological sequence of events. This is perhaps the only film I can think of that doesn’t ‘hold your hand’ in letting your realise that the whole thing is mostly out of order, to reflect that the lead (at the end of the film) no longer perceives time in a linear manner. In this manner, it’s then clear (sort of - at least in my interpretation) that her partner cannot forgive her for choosing to have the child knowing that it would die.... and that the child was born after the aliens left earth.

It then explains why the child was drawing (IIRC?) TV shows about her mum and dad speaking to animals... because at that point they were already famous for talking to the aliens (from years before). I thought that was brilliant - really subtle and clever.

I’m not saying that you perceived it one way or the other, just that I think the film works well whichever way you perceive it.

Tbh, I didn't think that was all that subtle? Well, I thought it was quite obvious by the end at least... and I'm usually not great at picking these things up :) I think most will have had that 'Ahhhh....' moment.

I guess part of me doesn't like the whole non linear thing, even if it's kinda clever for the film, as it's simply not possible in a movie that I thought was trying to be a little more realistic about first contact.

Man of Honour
@AndyCr15

Perhaps I over-egged the cleverness or I was being slow! In respect for the subtle stuff I guess it’s things that you can only recognise in retrospect, after the film (like the drawings thing - which is literally impossible to understand because the plot hasn’t been revealed at that point.

Certainly one of my favourite films in the last few years :)

Soldato
Yeah, for sure.

Sicario - 8/10

I can see why it was on many people 'Top 10 of the decade' list. If I'd realised it was on Netflix, with subs when they spoke Spanish, I might have enjoyed it more than the... private screening I started watching. I realised later on and switched! Very good movie though. I was expecting more about drug cartels etc, but it's not really about them. It's about the one mission they have to run to set up a drug war. Very good.

Back
Top Bottom