What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Bram Stoker's Dracula.

So flipping weird, they certainly don't make them like that anymore thats for sure.

7/10 but only not scoring an 8 due to its age... Its certainly aged.

Soldato
Replicas 1/10

A shame as the premise was actually quite interesting

Ended up not even finishing the film, the dialogue was so cliched and like it was written by a 5 year old, worst Keanu movie I've seen. He was trying to do John Wick if John Wick was a scientist instead of a killer.

Soldato
Glass - pretty good sequel to two films that weren't related but felt a little lacking somehow. Pretty impressive reading that the red tape that was cut through to get the two huge competitors to work together to produce the film. 3/5

Caporegime
Iron Sky: Coming Race

Iron Sky was bad, but in a self-aware so bad it's good, B-movie kind of way and I loved it for it. This is simply a bad B-movie with a number of laugh out loud funny moments. It's okay, but don't seek it out.

4.5/10

Associate
The Old Gun (1975)

It's 1944 when the Germans are evacuating France and bears the true attrocities committed at the time (Oradour-sur-Glane). The film does not portray the French Police during their finest hour.

A surprisingly violent film war film. A portly gentlemen wreaks revenge. 7.5/10.

Soldato
Jay & Silent Bob: Reboot 8/10

Totally awesome, loved every minute. So many great times and references to every movie made featuring the titular characters and other Kevin Smith movies.

I grew up watching Clerks, Mallets, Chasing Amy, Dogma and the others.

Soldato
My logic is simple:

10: Perfection (and pretty much impossible)
9: Outstanding
8: Very good
7: Good
6: Above average
5: Average
4: Below average
3: Poor
2: Bad
1: Terribad
To be honest "Brilliant" and "I loved it" invokes ideas of a film being a lot better than somewhere between good and very good, very good and outstanding at the very least. That's the problem with reviews though, everyone's scale is different and what something means to one person can mean something much different to someone else.

Caporegime
To be honest "Brilliant" and "I loved it" invokes ideas of a film being a lot better than somewhere between good and very good, very good and outstanding at the very least. That's the problem with reviews though, everyone's scale is different and what something means to one person can mean something much different to someone else.

I'm inclined to agree, I would assume 8.5-9 and 8 accordingly for those 2 phrases in my scale, but then I also contextualise my scale, as Toy Story and Fight Club are both some of my top films, but not directly comparable.

Caporegime
I stopped giving movies ratings out of 10. As seen above...its open too interpretation. I prefer to give a more in-depth opinion on how I felt about the movie at the time :)

Although I do check the ratings on imDb so I guess I am a hypocrite :D

Man of Honour
My logic is simple:

10: Perfection (and pretty much impossible)
9: Outstanding
8: Very good
7: Good
6: Above average
5: Average
4: Below average
3: Poor
2: Bad
1: Terribad
I think ratings 5 and 6 are sort of redundant.

Is there really that much between ‘good’ and ‘average’?

Also, for what it’s worth, I tend to think of enjoyment in terms of worth of ‘time’ and something which is 5/10 to my mind is ‘debatably not worth time’, before it decends to annoyance.

My rating system then, since I evidently like smelling my own farts:

10) Stunning - leaves an impression and keeps giving even after viewing.
9) Brilliant - throughly entertaining and recommended to all.
8) Great - recommenced with some notable caveats but the enjoyment of the film is largely uninterrupted
7) Good - enjoyable but with notable caveats.
6) Middling - Entertaining in its own way but not something that is easily recommended.
5) OK - not sure worth the time. May please some.
4) Definitely not worth the time. Passive negative thoughts.
3) Mild annoyance (beyond passive negativity).
2) Annoyance.
1) Great annoyance - annoying you long after the film is over.

Soldato
1917 last night. Technically well done but it didn't really live up to the hype for me and there were a number of elements and character actions that seemed implausible or just plain wrong.

Enjoyed Jojo Rabbit far more and actually found it to be better than I expected.

Soldato
1917 - 8/10

Second time around. I was actually moved more watching it the second time, bizarrely. What a film. I'm not sure Deakins will win best cinematography (as technically/logistically brilliant it was) for it, but wow what a film.

Soldato
Rambo (Last Blood) - 6/10

Not entirely bad, but not really a Rambo film - plot would have been better as a spin off from The Expendables, maybe. Primarily a take on Taken as others have said, with a bit of Revenge (old Kevin Costner movie) and Home Alone thrown in.

Some of the story premises were a bit ludicrous and not really in keeping with the character, was looking forward to the final half hour but a bit underwhelming. The heavy action started around the 60min mark with the credits rolling at 1:20. Not as gory as some of the reviews might have you believe either, if anything it was all a bit slapstick (with body parts) particularly the bit when
the music was playing over the pa!
Main bad guy went down way too easy, all over well a bit quick.

Not sure how it was edited but all seemed a bit rushed as if they just wanted it out the way. Apparently there is an extended cut which is not released in the UK, but from what I've read that's mainly just a prologue with Stallone reprising a bit from Cliffhanger.

Back
Top Bottom