1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What film did you watch last night?

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Richeh, Sep 2, 2009.

1. BriT

Mobster

Thanks for posting this! just watched it. Thought it was great.

2. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Yeah, Misery is one of those that I watch every couple of years and marvel at how great it really is.

3. AndyCr15

Sgarrista

Arrival - 8/10

Good and interesting story with a bit of a different take on alien contact. Left things quite open I thought, when I do prefer all the answers though :)

4. Nitefly

Man of Honour

You’re welcome :p

Yes, great film. I really liked that:

There is effectively ‘two films’:

First, the sequence of events shown to you in the film, which is very enjoyable in its own right, although a little ambiguous at the end when the lead no longer perceives time in a linear way.

Secondly, what I perceived to be the actual chronological sequence of events. This is perhaps the only film I can think of that doesn’t ‘hold your hand’ in letting your realise that the whole thing is mostly out of order, to reflect that the lead (at the end of the film) no longer perceives time in a linear manner. In this manner, it’s then clear (sort of - at least in my interpretation) that her partner cannot forgive her for choosing to have the child knowing that it would die.... and that the child was born after the aliens left earth.

It then explains why the child was drawing (IIRC?) TV shows about her mum and dad speaking to animals... because at that point they were already famous for talking to the aliens (from years before). I thought that was brilliant - really subtle and clever.

I’m not saying that you perceived it one way or the other, just that I think the film works well whichever way you perceive it.

I’d also give it a strong 8 - I have to nitpick down from a 9 or 10 because it has a stupid gun-ho ‘dumb’ military presence that is so cliche and tired.

5. AndyCr15

Sgarrista

Tbh, I didn't think that was all that subtle? Well, I thought it was quite obvious by the end at least... and I'm usually not great at picking these things up :) I think most will have had that 'Ahhhh....' moment.

I guess part of me doesn't like the whole non linear thing, even if it's kinda clever for the film, as it's simply not possible in a movie that I thought was trying to be a little more realistic about first contact.

6. TriedandTested

Capodecina

Arrival?!! 10/10 that one! So damn good.

7. Nitefly

Man of Honour

@AndyCr15

Perhaps I over-egged the cleverness or I was being slow! In respect for the subtle stuff I guess it’s things that you can only recognise in retrospect, after the film (like the drawings thing - which is literally impossible to understand because the plot hasn’t been revealed at that point.

Certainly one of my favourite films in the last few years :)

8. AndyCr15

Sgarrista

Yeah, for sure.

Sicario - 8/10

I can see why it was on many people 'Top 10 of the decade' list. If I'd realised it was on Netflix, with subs when they spoke Spanish, I might have enjoyed it more than the... private screening I started watching. I realised later on and switched! Very good movie though. I was expecting more about drug cartels etc, but it's not really about them. It's about the one mission they have to run to set up a drug war. Very good.

9. SixTwoSix

Capodecina

@AndyCr15 That's two Denis Villeneuve movies in a row, nice one :) I assume you've seen Blade Runner 2049? He's pretty much my favourite director of the last few years. I can't wait for his Dune adapation.

10. AndyCr15

Sgarrista

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020 at 1:30 PM
  11. SixTwoSix

Capodecina

I'm on poverty page settings, that's the page before for me :D

12. Skillmister

Capodecina

The Gentlemen. Absolutely brilliant film. Some quality performances in it, Hugh Grant especially

13. Alan1969

Hitman

Misery gives me the shivers just thinking about it. Don't know if I could ever watch that again.

14. SixTwoSix

Capodecina

How's it compare to the likes of Lock Stock/Snatch/RocknRolla ?

Off to watch at weekend with mates and one guy is watching a second time, he put it on par with Joker as one of his two favourite movies last year.

15. Skillmister

Capodecina

It's up there with them without a doubt. It did not disappoint

16. ivrytwr3

Mobster

Terminator Dark Fate - 7/10

Grace was bad ass and some great, if not far fetched, set pieces - battle in the air was cool.

Arnie was awesome, buuuuuuuuuuuuut the way they explain his conscience was complete mugwump - he grew feelings?! WTF?! The reprogramming arc made more sense. I also didn't care for his quips and attempts at humour - we are meant to assume that he spent the last 20 years talking fabrics? GTFO.

Seeing the early trailers i was worried about the FX, but no need as there were some outstanding effects.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020 at 10:18 PM
  17. Street

Soldato

Prisoners is worth checking out as well, it's a great film.

The soundtrack is fantastic in Arrival, I'm a sucker for a film with a good soundtrack.

18. AndyCr15

Sgarrista

Thanks, will give it a watch.

19. nands

Mobster

I'll add Incendies to the list, excellent film from Mr Villeneuve.

20. Street

Soldato

That's been on my to watch list for ages but never seem to get around to it. Seeing as the missus is out tomorrow I'll stick it on then. :)