LG c9 OLED

Soldato
Not much real difference from the C9 to C10 but hopefully the release of the C10 will bring down the C9 prices again and you hopefully will get a good deal.

This is what I am hoping happens in a few months. We missed the chance to get it for£1800 from John Lewis. Could stretch to £2000 but think £2500 is going to be hard to justify

Associate
I thought the Sony was better on SD content too but the other features of the LG swung it.
Don’t get me wrong I’m not knocking the C9 ,I’m keeping my set ,but I’m surprised at how much better the Sony looks ,having very recently completed its 2000 hr panel refresh the Sony looks better now than it ever has !! The C9 wins hands down for gaming with my One X though ,has much better streaming ability when watching Mkvs,and a better OS,Plus when I take into account the 50% Off Sky Q offer the C9 has cost me less than £1000

Soldato
Upscaling ,colour ,motion ,clarity etc ,for HDR content the C9 is maybe slightly brighter in DV ,to me the Sony looks better with HDR ,but it’s close between them

Sorry I didn't realise the Sony is much more expensive. (£2400 maybe ?) Your finding are not surprising. Add 33% to price of ANY product and you'll probably find it's better! The main attraction of the C9 is the fact it's (somewhat) affordable. (£1800) The C9 is wiping the floor with the LCD/LED panels.

Everyone knows the sony processing and motion flow is probably the best. But when you are in the £24/2500 region of pricing you have other options. Is the Sony a valid competitor in that price bracket ?

Associate
They were both the same price when I was shopping, it was a tough call as we still watch a lot of SD content. As I had just convinced myself to get sky the money back plus HDMI features for gaming swung it to LG.

Associate
Sorry guys I’m talking about my 65” AF9 not the 55” ,although you would have thought that SD/HD would have looked better on a 55” panel rather than a 65” ? In this case the AF9 is the clear winner ,which I must admit surprised me quite a bit

Soldato
How are you managing to max out the power on an AVR system? Even at 70W per channel you must be watching it at deafening levels. Just doing some quick calcs, if you had some 80db speakers, and sat 3 metres away, you'd need to be listing at almost 90db to max out the AVR. I realise that its not 70W for every single channel on an AVR, but the front 3 are the most power hungry, not much goes to rears/atmos.

I don't have a avr, I have av pre power, with 5x300w RMS and 2 * 200w RMS into the respective speaker load.

I don't have a avr as the power they provide is crap and they can't manage 4 ohm speakers, the only way to get a capable amp is to buy a £2000+ avr and given lifespan in the hdmi and pre side of Av gear, I'd rather split the two up, keeping the amp section seperates so you just but that once, never needing to lose money debuting amplifiers everytime.

It's not the av audio system at 100% , it's the TV, depending on the source. Lg need to implement a gain matching system as I had 100% for something and for something else it's fine at 40%. And then the TV audio distorts for bassy scenes because it's crap. It's fine for speech and limited low end but put on a a actio movie and it parks away. Eq is flat I have not done bass boost. In fact I'd say it needs filtering get a sub and direct it to that

Soldato
How much did you spend on room treatment ?

and what treatment did you apply?

Apart from typical living room furniture that's it. Got book cases, sofa, etc so that breaks up reflections. Sounds great to me. In the second room the hifi sounded clappy just bought four acoustic panels, two behind, and two of the sides that did help.

Also I wouldn't know what I'm doing with acoustic treatment I bet can't just get anything and plonk them anywhere.

Soldato
anyone else have the issue where the TV doesn't trigger their AVR to turn on via HDMI CEC ?
Mine is hit or miss, I think it tends to happen more if the receiver has turned itself off due to inactivity.

When it happens though I can't get it to work at all, (turning TV on/off a couple of times with the Tv remote)
I have to manually turn the AVR on, eithr through TV menu or using the receiver's own remote (well logitech harmony in my case)

Soldato
Apart from typical living room furniture that's it. Got book cases, sofa, etc so that breaks up reflections. Sounds great to me. In the second room the hifi sounded clappy just bought four acoustic panels, two behind, and two of the sides that did help.

Also I wouldn't know what I'm doing with acoustic treatment I bet can't just get anything and plonk them anywhere.

Please don't undersestimate what some proper room treatments can do. A 'cheap' hifi/sound can sound better than an expensive hifi in a properly treated room. Most people do not realise that what you are hearing when you hear your system is the sound of the room. It makes a MASSIVE difference to the sound. The type that can't be communicated, only experienced. Nobody outside of enthusiasts circles talks about it because it's in the interests of manufacturers to promte selling more expensive kit when in reality its the room that needs fixing. Don't take this as specifically for you, but anyone reading who's even slightly concerened about sound should look in to it. Here's a really simple experiment for non believers: If you sofa is back on to the wall of the room, bring it forward a couple/3 feet or so. If you speakers are in the corner of the room, bring them into the room 18 inches from the walls. If you hear any difference then this is just the start of the journey. You're welcome.

Soldato
anyone else have the issue where the TV doesn't trigger their AVR to turn on via HDMI CEC ?
Mine is hit or miss, I think it tends to happen more if the receiver has turned itself off due to inactivity.

When it happens though I can't get it to work at all, (turning TV on/off a couple of times with the Tv remote)
I have to manually turn the AVR on, eithr through TV menu or using the receiver's own remote (well logitech harmony in my case)

I had this and sorted it by disabling earc. Might be worth seeing if it’s turned on on yours.

Soldato
I had this and sorted it by disabling earc. Might be worth seeing if it’s turned on on yours.
I definitely have earc turned on, as I was having an issue with sound that I read this helps to resolve (even though logically it should have made any difference)

I'll try turning it off later.

So another issue I have, all sound is played through my receiver, the HDMI ARC connection will cut out for a split second, so the although the sound doesn't cut out completely the volume level will dip for half a second, its highly annoying, and I think it happens more when watching terrestrial TV (as a pose to Netflix/Prime or an external HDMI source)
My receiver is a Marantz NR1504, I'm considering an upgrade to the 1510 to get earc to see if that would resolve the issue.

Soldato
Please don't undersestimate what some proper room treatments can do. A 'cheap' hifi/sound can sound better than an expensive hifi in a properly treated room. Most people do not realise that what you are hearing when you hear your system is the sound of the room. It makes a MASSIVE difference to the sound. The type that can't be communicated, only experienced. Nobody outside of enthusiasts circles talks about it because it's in the interests of manufacturers to promte selling more expensive kit when in reality its the room that needs fixing. Don't take this as specifically for you, but anyone reading who's even slightly concerened about sound should look in to it. Here's a really simple experiment for non believers: If you sofa is back on to the wall of the room, bring it forward a couple/3 feet or so. If you speakers are in the corner of the room, bring them into the room 18 inches from the walls. If you hear any difference then this is just the start of the journey. You're welcome.

They aren't close to walls and sofa isn't close to rear wall. The room is set primary home cinema with other considerations coming in as second but I wouldn't want it to look like foam panels all round either

Back
Top Bottom