LG OLED C9 as a PC monitor - Yes, I'm crazy, Yes time to get some burn in.

Associate
How are you guys mounting these on your desks to get some extra height - or are you VESA mounting to the wall behind the desk?

Can't find anything to mount something the size of a 55inch c9 on a desk to get the start bar up to a decent level with sightline.

I have the bottom of my current 34 inch ultrawide 7.5 inches off the desk

Soldato
How are you guys mounting these on your desks to get some extra height - or are you VESA mounting to the wall behind the desk?

Can't find anything to mount something the size of a 55inch c9 on a desk to get the start bar up to a decent level with sightline.

I have the bottom of my current 34 inch ultrawide 7.5 inches off the desk

Given it's a TV and bleedin' massive, the only option really is a wall mount, of which there are plenty available. You'd ideally want low profile too. I don't see any 'arm' taking something this big, but some fancy wall mounts have this flexibility with movement, but then you have the issue of seating distance. Technically you could have it on a higher platform of some sort, if you had the space. I saw someone (perhaps here) placed it on another desk in front of their existing desk, so as to get the required distance. I don't think any single desk would give you this, given how deep it would need to be. Personally, I would favour the wall mount solution if viable.

The upcoming LG 48" will make things a bit easier, but that's still a big screen.

Soldato
Think that there will be an arm available for that at a reasonable price or still too large?

It's going to be a combination of the weight and size. The 55" is just under 20kg (minus stand), so the 48" will be less, closer to 15kg probably... there are certainly arms which will take that (easily), but the issue would be the size, given how large the screen is. There would be an arm which could handle it, but it would need to have some height itself in order for the screen to clear the desk. If the VESA mounting holes are like the current range, they're in the bottom area, so that does help given there's less of the screen below where you'd be mounting it... and that's the concern for clearance from the desk.

The other issue is if that would end up pushing it too close to you... again, this is where a low profile wall mount comes in handy, as that's going to ensure it's as far from your eyes as possible, making it easier to adjust your seating position.

Is a wall mount not an option for you? Otherwise, I think you'd find some arms to take the weight, but it might be a bit of trial and error finding one with adequate clearance. I wouldn't rule it out entirely, and there's a healthy selection of candidates on the rainforest.

:)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ok thanks @Legend :) If anyone see's a suitable arm then please link to it and will bookmark it, OcUK sell arms so sure it'll be fine (desk is v sturdy and prefer a desk mounted arm tbh for flexibility).

Soldato
Ok thanks @Legend :) If anyone see's a suitable arm then please link to it and will bookmark it, OcUK sell arms so sure it'll be fine (desk is v sturdy and prefer a desk mounted arm tbh for flexibility).

The Fleximounts D7L holds up to 15kg, and there is a user review on Amazon saying they used a 17kg 43" monitor on this without any problems.

The Arctic Z1 (Gen 3) also has 15kg capacity. I am expecting the 48" to be about that weight, maybe a tad more, given the 55" is 18.9kg.

One important thing to consider though is that you'll most likely need to get an adapter plate/bracket for the VESA holes, as all monitor arms seem to be 75/100mm, and TV's are very often not... the B9/C9 are 200x300.

The Ergotron HX Desk Monitor Arm is another good shout, with a capacity of 19.1kg, although it's far from cheap at nearly £240. There's also the CBS Flo Plus at £272.

The 48" does exceed the size given as being supported by all of the above, but the weight is the main determining factor. Could be some issues, but you really won't know until you try it... not least because I am quite sure you'll be the first person to try it lol!

:D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'd definitely just wall mount. If you want some degree of movement, get an amazon basics TV arm. They work well and allow for some movement forwards, left and right. They are decent at staying close to the wall too.

Associate
I'd definitely just wall mount. If you want some degree of movement, get an amazon basics TV arm. They work well and allow for some movement forwards, left and right. They are decent at staying close to the wall too.

That looks like it's getting ripped right out of the wall with a full sized TV on it? Also will the gas struts take the weight of the OLED without just compressing and the thing ending up resting on the desk? The TV is going to weigh 18 ish kg

AVF Adjustable Tilt and Turn Table Top Stand For Upto 55" TVs - Black & Silver on google looks like a happy medium without being complete crap like most of the other table top stands i've seen

Last edited:
Soldato
That looks like it's getting ripped right out of the wall with a full sized TV on it? Also will the gas struts take the weight of the OLED without just compressing and the thing ending up resting on the desk?

All arms/mounts are weight rated... we don't know the weight of the 48" yet, but should be around 15kg based on the weight of the 55" C9. There are arms which will take that, and people have done it with TV's of a similar size and weight.

Associate
There are a number of TV floor mounts that sit flush with the wall. If you can provide a few cm behind desk (or even cut a small indent in desk), that would be my choice over pushing a monitor mount to its limit. You still get the benefit of increased desk space vs a regular stand.

Soldato
There are a number of TV floor mounts that sit flush with the wall. If you can provide a few cm behind desk (or even cut a small indent in desk), that would be my choice over pushing a monitor mount to its limit. You still get the benefit of increased desk space vs a regular stand.

There aren't many people who have tried a desk arm with such a large screen before, but it will be a case of trial and error. It is possible I think, and there are user reviews on Amazon of people who've done it with desk arms and 43" TV's/monitors, which are a similar weight to the 48". I'd very much lean towards a super low profile wall mount personally, but not everyone will want that, or be able to.

Soldato
Another tip for Chrome/Edge Chromium users is to enable autohide scroll bars.

--enable-features=OverlayScrollbar

Add that to the launch shortcut target.

It's such a good feature I don't know why you have to do it this way :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Another tip for Chrome/Edge Chromium users is to enable autohide scroll bars.

Add that to the launch shortcut target.

It's such a good feature I don't know why you have to do it this way :confused:

where do u add this? I tried to add it by right clicking chrome -> shortcut -> then adding it to the end but it doesnt work..

target reads as: "E:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" -enable-features=OverlayScrollbar

Soldato
From your experiance if I just use it for gaming / movies / tv shows and not desktop use what’s the risk of burnin?

I'd say minimal if you're careful... there aren't too many reports out there of burn-in on C9 models, but that's because they haven't been out there very long. Time will tell.

Generally speaking though, it's logos and very persistent on-screen elements that would put you most at risk. Even average gaming shouldn't be an issue. You'd have to be playing the same game, day in, day out, for months.

Back
Top Bottom