Escape from Tarkov

Soldato
@Besty - you need to run some gear to get some gear...... just scav to earn money, buy the best ammo you can afford and do the quests where you can. They are good XP earnings which gets better ammo etc.

Associate
Taking about ammo (or maybe it was the gun), I swapped some barter items for an mp5. I thought I'd bought some good ammo for it but when surprised by a scav I emptied a whole mag into him and he still kept coming and shotgunned me to death. I've been so used to one shotting them from a distance.
Maybe the 9x19 (or whatever it was) just doesn't cut it

Soldato
They've removed the delay from the market to kill sniping! Should be interesting...

Taking about ammo (or maybe it was the gun), I swapped some barter items for an mp5. I thought I'd bought some good ammo for it but when surprised by a scav I emptied a whole mag into him and he still kept coming and shotgunned me to death. I've been so used to one shotting them from a distance.
Maybe the 9x19 (or whatever it was) just doesn't cut it

9x19, your best bet is to buy super expensive RIP and aim for the legs, I seriously dont know if its worth it - going to try it later for a laugh. Otherwise if he was wearing gen4 armor - thats where i get my armor from so its not unusual - you would need to hit him in the armor about 18 times to get him down with RIP/AP63, between 26-33 times with any other ammo.

Man of Honour
50 hours so far on the game, I really enjoy it must say, good concept.

If I was to critique the game I would say that they desperately need to sort out the matchmaking. The fact that you can be a relatively new player and find yourself in a match with geared up lvl 40s or something, or even you can be solo and find yourself up against a group of teamed players, is a truly stupid game design decision. For me, its ok, I'm used to these types of shooters but for new players I could see a lot of them quitting due to being in impossible to win situations. Thats something which would cause the playerbase to stagnate and eventually die off.

The solution is pretty simple, they should put solo players only against solo players, and then have duos, squads etc, similar to other titles and also simply bracket the players, 1-10 , 11-20 and so forth (or wider brackets if playerbase isnt large enough for that)

Do that and I think they could ensure a slightly wider and larger userbase

Associate
I don't mind being solo and going up against groups of people but I agree with the matchmaking idea. It might be an improvement if they put you in tiers e.g. Level 1-10, 10-20 etc.

Soldato
Probably alone in that I don't want matchmaking, as a lower level I often took on geared pmcs and came out with exceptional gear. If I were just in with other low levels, I'd have only got lower tier gear as a reward.

Man of Honour
Probably alone in that I don't want matchmaking, as a lower level I often took on geared pmcs and came out with exceptional gear. If I were just in with other low levels, I'd have only got lower tier gear as a reward.

Yeah thats like me, I've gained some good gear off higher players but I'm thinking about the game to others and I think it would help bring in more players, even though I lose out a bit. After all, if too many people get turned off because of it there will be no people for me to loot, so in the long run its in my interests too :D

Soldato
I rather like the random aspect of it. Never know how many you're going up against nor how skilled they are so every interaction is a risk.(99.99% a risk in my case)

While I can see the logic in separating out the matches it's easier if you know there's only one person or two people in the group you're trailing.

If you're nearer the top of the skill mmr chances are you're going to have a much easier time killing things than being at the bottom which will bring the issue of people gaming the system to go against the weaker players.

Man of Honour
I've read a bit of the official forums and there will defo be no solo mode, highly unlikely to be matchmaking either.

Thats a pity, as I say, I dont mind it but I do worry for the longevity of the game and it having a decent sized userbase, I fear that without matchmaking we wont be talking about tarkov in a years time. Hope I'm wrong.

Man of Honour
Which is great and fine and a style of game I enjoy, however niche hardcore games remain just that, niche and with limited appeal and then in time they die out. Its gone from strength to strength but its current boom is precisely because of the streamers that you so despise. For some reason, suddenly in the last couple of months a lot of big streamers started showcasing Tarkov (not sure what suddenly caused that) and that raised the games profile and helped bring more people in, and lets face it in a game where you need people to play against more people is a good thing. The question will be if the game has limited appeal and puts a large portion of gamers off, for something as easily implemented as matchmaking, how comprehensive will the userbase be once the big streamers are no longer bringing the game to the gaming consciousness. Will it simply fade away and be "that game we used to play, you know, the one with the extracting, what was that called Dave?"

Having said that, maybe the devs are fine with that, perhaps they arent looking for big financial profits and a wide userbase, in which case thats great. I guess my matchmaking idea is borne from a desire for the title to live on for years and years and years because I like it so much and want more and more people to play with/against on it.

One irony of this hardcore game, is that I only actually find it hardcore if I play solo, simply because when I'm in a 4 man group with my mates its not difficult at all, we slaughter everyone we see. Mostly because there is 4 of us on voice comms who've gamed together for decades and we're inevitably playing against people who are solo or in pairs (we very rarely come up against anyone in more than pairs). So I optionally choose to play solo often just to get that extra thrill of difficulty. It has to be said though that I do feel a little lame/cheesey when we 4man in our group and just steamroller entire maps. Nice amount of loot though :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom