Microsoft Chromium Edge - Now Available to Download

Soldato
It's actually a decent, fast browser but i'm guessing that the flip side to accepting Chromium as your renderer is that you basically open your PC up to Google's data harvesting methods?

No more than any html rendering engine opens you up to any form of web based tracking.

Soldato
It's actually a decent, fast browser but i'm guessing that the flip side to accepting Chromium as your renderer is that you basically open your PC up to Google's data harvesting methods?

It's based on Chromium where there's no Google telemetry, and even then Microsoft has done more work to remove anything Google related and replace it with theirs.

Instead, it'll be Microsoft harvesting your data.

Soldato

Quite a few Chromium browsers you can ask "not to track" in settings ie Vivaldi, problem for Microsoft is they are up against tough and experience competition with regards to Chromium based browsers, so the big question is what does Chromium based Edge offer over the competition, simple answer nothing really unless you consider it's another choice/option to choose from.

I'll be sticking with good old Vivaldi :) .

Soldato
Been using it at work this week and apart from one website having issues with certain things lagging but other than that it's replaced Chrome for me at work and now using it side by side with FF at home.

Caporegime
I'm liking the windows 10 version it's a lot faster than chrome.
The mobile version though I had to get rid of it in ten minutes. It's just not right for me and I don't want to retrain myself.

So if I can't have a synchronous system across all my devices I'll probably end up sticking to chrome in the long run.

I'll keep trying it android but I get frustrated :p

Associate
Just installed Win10 and using Edge for time being until i switch browser, but thought i'd give it some time to try also. It feels slower than Chrome, and have had issues with a few sites already. But ideally looking to move from Chrome though. Hmm

Caporegime
Does anyone know how you can emulate other browsers with this? In old Edge, pressing F12 brings up the dev tools and there was a tab called "Emulation" where I could pick Windows Phone to spoof. But there is no similar tab in this new version.

EDIT: Figured it out - there is a little button "toggle device toolbar" which lets you pick from other platforms.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Any time on this? Its basically all that's holding me off.

Someone in here mentioned that it's in discussion somewhere, I am not sure of a time scale. This would be fab to sync across platforms. The thing I would have loved to see is one providor where all browsers natively syncs across all platforms! Wouldn't this be great? By this I mean actually built into browsers not some.

Last edited:
Associate
Does anyone know how you can emulate other browsers with this? In old Edge, pressing F12 brings up the dev tools and there was a tab called "Emulation" where I could pick Windows Phone to spoof. But there is no similar tab in this new version.

EDIT: Figured it out - there is a little button "toggle device toolbar" which lets you pick from other platforms.

There is also this extension you could install on the new edge browser, it not only lets you spoof browsers but other devices too like an android phone https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/user-agent-switcher-for-c/djflhoibgkdhkhhcedjiklpkjnoahfmg

Caporegime
Cant find a way (a fast way) for it to cast to my Google Homes or Chromecast/TV

It simply wont discover any of my 5 or so devices.....

Thats a game breaker right now and ive put Edge to one side... Im sure in a few months everything will be working and then ill be back.

See you in March i guess! :p

Permabanned
Fix for casting (it did work for me till this bug) and fixes mine.

"Thanks for reaching out. At this time, issues with casting are part of a known bug. Here's a workaround from one of our PMs:

Enable edge://flags/#load-media-router-component-extension (paste this into the address bar, select Enabled for the option) and restart the browser."

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge"

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/microsoft-edge-cast-tab/m-p/1123920

Permabanned
2020-01-26.png

Living Room Pair is my Goggle Home Nest Mini Speakers (Stereo Paired).

Soldato
What websites have you guys noticed Edge having issues with?

---

Right so I tried Edge again... and my two comments are scrolling a website is definitely quicker in Edge, but I find Edge is a little unstable when rendering compared to Chrome. Chrome has that lick of quality about it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom