Red Dead Redemption 2

Caporegime
Game is nice on PC, 60+FPS makes such a difference.

However, incredibly broken.

- have to set launch parameters for resolution otherwise I get a black screen loading the game on my TV
- HDR doesn't show with vulkan but does for dx 12 and 11 (tried messing with the windows hdr settings, still no difference, just won't show when vulkan is activated)
- get black screens every now and then, however, game continues on fine i.e. doesn't crash, almost like the tv loses signal (which it isn't)
- HDR looks crap compared to the console, could be related to point 2, but very dull, washed out effect, even with the game mode setting and tweaks to the brightness etc.

Caporegime
:o you are such a console fanboy now.

Less faff! :D

The PC port is fine on the whole but the HDR issue is annoying....

EDIT:

Amusing from google, seems like quite a few are having this problem but some have the opposite where HDR doesn't show with DX 12 for them :o

Associate
Somethings wrong at the moment, have been playing a short while ago, just switched on again now when I start up Rockstar Game Launcher it has under Red Dead Redemption 2 "Pre Purchased, you have pre-purchased this game.
Everything else on the internet is ok
Tried verifying just in case and now its stuck on that

Soldato
Somethings wrong at the moment, have been playing a short while ago, just switched on again now when I start up Rockstar Game Launcher it has under Red Dead Redemption 2 "Pre Purchased, you have pre-purchased this game.
Everything else on the internet is ok
Tried verifying just in case and now its stuck on that
Looks like Rockstar servers are having problem? My games took a lot of time to show up in the launcher.

Associate
Same here

Truggled to get the game to load at all.

Had my first crash and then something about cloud save problems once I rebooted.

Ill leave it till tomorrow and do something else.

Soldato
Will using a trainer (infinite ammo, no reload etc) in story mode screw things up if auto save is enabled?

Went on a bit of a immortal unlimited ammo rampage earlier (epic fun!) for a good hour or so, then realised auto save was on..... :o

The in game cheats prevent the game from saving, download & use Wemod then you can save as normal

https://www.wemod.com/

I use it mostly for infinite horse stamina so I can gallop all over the map :p

Soldato

- have to set launch parameters for resolution otherwise I get a black screen loading the game on my TV
- HDR doesn't show with vulkan but does for dx 12 and 11 (tried messing with the windows hdr settings, still no difference, just won't show when vulkan is activated)
- get black screens every now and then, however, game continues on fine i.e. doesn't crash, almost like the tv loses signal (which it isn't)
- HDR looks crap compared to the console, could be related to point 2, but very dull, washed out effect, even with the game mode setting and tweaks to the brightness etc.

As far as I know, HDR is crap no matter what format its on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs3WFXtqmcc

Even with it fixed, it at some point looks absolutely horrible with the whites being completely blown out.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Was planning on playing this on the PC (once I got a 3070), but might just get it for my PS4 Pro. HDR really does help when done right.

Also I find it annoying that they are using their own launcher on PC.

Soldato
Was planning on playing this on the PC (once I got a 3070), but might just get it for my PS4 Pro. HDR really does help when done right.

Also I find it annoying that they are using their own launcher on PC.

Its not done right in RDR2. Just look at digital foundry's review. Even with the fix, the colours are just consistently right in SDR and not in HDR. This game was clearly made in SDR and HDR was tacked on. They actually released the initial HDR version with 8bit colour then had to patch 10bit colour in. Sure if you want HDR.. then use it... but its definitely not done right, its tacked on.. which makes sense given how long RDR2 has been in development for most likely.

I'd take 60fps over HDR and <30fps anyday btw and for a game like this, I actually find it REALLY helps as the action (when it happens) can get hectic.

Also I found mouse and keyboard with most of the buttons mapped to my mouse BEAUTIFUL. I find everyone very clunky with the controller (surprisingly even horse riding sucks with the controller IMO, I love the increased responiveness with a mouse). The only issue I had wishing was crap on a keyboard and mouse but I didn't enjoy it with a controller either.

The biggest issue the PC version is it launching as I've heard a few people simply can't get it to play but if you can, my 2080 gives me a very smooth gameplay experience compared to the console and I can't look past that.

I definitely wouldn't waste this game on the PS4 Pro. I really reserve my PS4 Pro for exclusives like God of War where I know they'll never hit PC.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Its not done right in RDR2. Just look at digital foundry's review. Even with the fix, the colours are just consistently right in SDR and not in HDR. This game was clearly made in SDR and HDR was tacked on. They actually released the initial HDR version with 8bit colour then had to patch 10bit colour in. Sure if you want HDR.. then use it... but its definitely not done right, its tacked on.. which makes sense given how long RDR2 has been in development for most likely.

I'd take 60fps over HDR and <30fps anyday btw and for a game like this, I actually find it REALLY helps as the action (when it happens) can get hectic.

Also I found mouse and keyboard with most of the buttons mapped to my mouse BEAUTIFUL. I find everyone very clunky with the controller (surprisingly even horse riding sucks with the controller IMO, I love the increased responiveness with a mouse). The only issue I had wishing was crap on a keyboard and mouse but I didn't enjoy it with a controller either.

The biggest issue the PC version is it launching as I've heard a few people simply can't get it to play but if you can, my 2080 gives me a very smooth gameplay experience compared to the console and I can't look past that.

I definitely wouldn't waste this game on the PS4 Pro. I really reserve my PS4 Pro for exclusives like God of War where I know they'll never hit PC.
Yeah, recently completed God of War. Was a bit of a slow start but then turned into a great game for me.

Fair enough regarding RDR2. I will wait and play it on PC once I get a new graphics card later this year :)

Back
Top Bottom