US: Better Call Saul

Associate
I'm enjoying this a good deal, not as much as Breaking Bad but it's definitely a worthy spin off.

However, there's been a few times when Vince Gilligan's writing has been not up to his usual standards and even actually quite corny and bad.

The idea that he was out grifting watches on the street with a totally one dimensional 'best buddy' character who dies as a result of their actions along with utterly implausible and highly convenient marks falling for it was so corny and just plain unbelievable. It was like it suddenly turned into a 1930's corny crime caper, bad writing from Gilligan, bad dialogue in a failed comedy bit. There's so many other ways he could have committed fraud far more plausibly in tone with the rest of the story, mail fraud, telemarketing, etc.

Super corny and totally implausible that a bunch of meth heads and other criminals are going to wait in line for some an appointment with a street lawyer in done up traffic tent. Really stupid and lazy writing from Gilligan again totally out of tone with the rest of the series. So totally unbelievable and implausible that any criminals. would risk being seen in such proximity to others, or that police wouldn't notice. Again so many other ways of making him Saul. He could take on a highly controversial and complex murder case that he thinks is innocent at first then subsequently knowing they're guilty, goes ahead anyway and defends them and wins with via arranging jury intimidation. In process loses Kim and becomes Saul as every criminal sees him as a top defence lawyer. A lot better than that tent nonsense.

I'll still watch it and enjoy it, but I don't rate Vince Gilligan as good a writer as he was on Breaking Bad.

Soldato
He could take on a highly controversial and complex murder case that he thinks is innocent at first then subsequently knowing they're guilty, goes ahead anyway and defends them and wins with via arranging jury intimidation. In process loses Kim and becomes Saul as every criminal sees him as a top defence lawyer. A lot better than that tent nonsense.

In your opinion, of course. To me, this sounds terrible. His 'transition' would be straight to jury intimidation to get a guilty man off for murder?!?! With no real 'motivation' to do so? Seriously?

Mind you, I don't know why we're spoilering it, it's aired! :)

Associate

In your opinion, of course. To me, this sounds terrible. His 'transition' would be straight to jury intimidation to get a guilty man off for murder?!?! With no real 'motivation' to do so? Seriously?

Mind you, I don't know why we're spoilering it, it's aired! :)

That's just something I came up with in 5 seconds as one of many more plausible ways a lawyer could turn than what they did in the show.

As for Saul's motivation to take and keep defending the case, they could have blackmail, greed, mob involvement and manipulation, many different ways to lead to that situation.

A comedy bit featuring meth heads and criminals all queuing up in a highly orderly fashion to get convinced of a lawyers services in in some cliche deserted backstreet selling burner phones. No criminal would ever do that, they'd think it was a sting, be fighting or ripping Saul off or others off in the queue, pushing to the front, etc, or in most likelihood simply immediately leaving the area upon seeing a queue like that, it was so unbelievable and corny for me. But like you with your opinion that's my take on it.

Anyway, until the whole season airs I think spoilers are respectful as many like to wait and watch it all in one go.

Soldato
Anyway, until the whole season airs I think spoilers are respectful as many like to wait and watch it all in one go.

But that's the same with any show. If you've not watched it, you steer clear of the thread. I get it with spoilers for a day or so, just in case, but then it's the person avoiding it's own responsibility really. :)

Soldato
Can someone remind me why Kim is risking everything for this old man and his house? Seems a little odd...?

Well she doesn't like Mesa Verde even though she works for them probably a matter of principle, conscience and seeing that while in law they are right to just turf him out she doesn't see it that way.

Associate
It is great now. Honestly, I only just made it through the first couple of seasons though. I definitely wouldn't want to go back and watch those again...

I know what you mean, but they're were some absolutely comical parts in it. It's just all the stuff with Chuck that got annoying imo

Back
Top Bottom