The **Now Eating** Thread

Soldato
It's not overblown at all, there's facts showing how easy it Is to transmit this virus around
I do get that, but the circumstances that could lead to me getting Corvid via either contact or no contact methods are still the same. The cook for example could be showing signs of it as he preps my food, the driver's maybe in the same situation as he puts the food on my doorstep via the non-contact method. It doesn't change much IMO.

Soldato
Breakfast today:
so are the supply chains to restaurants fine , in comparison ? as well as offering home, or collection delivery, you could be selling some ingredients. ..
short on bread flour here.

..after the earlier comment about restaurants being asked to supply local sheltered accomodation/home, are there any additional hygiene requirements,
the no contact pizza delivery sounds ridiculous if the food could have conatminated earlier - I trust myself to unwrap food from the supermarket.

Soldato
so are the supply chains to restaurants fine , in comparison ? as well as offering home, or collection delivery, you could be selling some ingredients. ..
short on bread flour here.

We are operating as normal, but with fewer customers and employees as some have chosen to self isolate. The owner is staying open as he cannot claim on any insurances unless a closure is forced upon him, and we are bringing in just enough to cover wages right now.

As for special measures we are all using hand sanitizer on a frequent basis as well as the usual washing hands before and after handling anything, gloves etc. We don't do deliveroo or anything like that, it's not the kind of food that would travel very well for the most part, as far as I am aware the owner hasn't been contacted about supplying any sheltered accommodation.

We have been trying our best to save any fresh produce that isn't being sold, so making and freezing soup for staff, making pickles, antipasti etc. That will have a long shelf life.

Suppliers are panicking, some have asked for payment immediately on what is usually 60 days from invoice, our most recent delivery, funnily enough was missing bread flour. The delivery guy said people were literally fighting in the depot over it.

Edit: we are also seating people further away and have reduced the max capacity, not that it's an issue right now with so few customers.

Edit 2: Brekkie today while I'm here:

tWN7CGX.jpg

Cheesy french omelette, grilled cherry tomatoes and courgette.

Last edited:
Soldato
Taking a leaf from @Merlin5 's book. The wife isn't feeling great and fancied some fruit loaf.

Sadly we didn't have much normal self raising flower so it's part white flour and part wholemeal flour. Hopefully it tastes ok!

YnBixFD.png

That looks delicious, Marvt74, good job! How was it? Self raising flour has baking powder in it. If you use plain flour instead, normally you would need about 5% of that to be baking powder. Example, to make 250g self raising flour, you need 5% baking powder (12.5g) added to 237.5g plain flour, which totals 250g. But it doesn't look like you had any problem getting it to rise nicely.

Basically Twix but a softer caramel. Quite nice.

20200322-022153.jpg

Soldato
Lidl do some nice chocolate ... coating maybe better than twix

Lesser spotted bag of white strong spotted in waitrose ... it had better be good for it's premium price £1.79 ..

have the converse problem, too much SR, not enough plain, we'll try the SR for pastry ... blind bake flans with weights, to keep it down ?

Soldato
That looks delicious, Marvt74, good job! How was it? Self raising flour has baking powder in it. If you use plain flour instead, normally you would need about 5% of that to be baking powder. Example, to make 250g self raising flour, you need 5% baking powder (12.5g) added to 237.5g plain flour, which totals 250g. But it doesn't look like you had any problem getting it to rise nicely.

Basically Twix but a softer caramel. Quite nice.

20200322-022153.jpg

Cheers. Sorry I wasn’t clear. It was part white self raising and part whole meal self raising.

it tasted good. Although it’s getting a little dry now. Might have to warm up the last bit today!

Soldato
the new covid menu items ...
Mmm looks good .. what the white sauce then ...no I guess I mean cheese ... gruyere/swiss ... and your own roll

Back
Top Bottom