• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Why don't we bulk buy GPU's like car enthusiasts do with car parts on their forums.

Group buy the 3080TI for only £900 ea

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
like a gamers syndicate? hmm interesting idea is that against the forum rules?
Well the question to ask is, why is there rules against talking or linking to competitors? Not good for business. What is the purpose of this forum? Meant to be good for business. The question then becomes, is a gamers syndicate good for their business?

bru

bru

Soldato
Well the question to ask is, why is there rules against talking or linking to competitors? Not good for business. What is the purpose of this forum? Meant to be good for business. The question then becomes, is a gamers syndicate good for their business?
Well the forum is paid for and run by Overclockers, and seeing they have their own store They don't want to allow promotion of competitors on their paid for platform.

Now whether it is good idea or not is immaterial because those are OCUK's rules and its their forum so its their rules we have to stick by.

Is the forum good for business?

Good question, I would imagine that it doesn't generate that much outside business, because the people using it already know about the store.

Is it cost effective?

Well with free shipping for forum members it probably costs a good bit to run, I'm sure if it wasn't cost effective they wouldn't do it.

A gamers syndicate? Hmm how many GPU's would we need to buy to get any meaningful bulk buy discount. I cannot see that idea working at all.

Soldato
If bought from ocuk of course they wouldn't mind!

How would you then choose the GPU?!

Clearly not going to happen. Need mass drop for GPUs

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
If bought from ocuk of course they wouldn't mind!

How would you then choose the GPU?!

Clearly not going to happen. Need mass drop for GPUs
Well obviously. Lol. But then you are not really going to get much of a deal. Doubt Gibbo would be interested at all and if he was it would be a small amount.

Well the forum is paid for and run by Overclockers, and seeing they have their own store They don't want to allow promotion of competitors on their paid for platform.

Now whether it is good idea or not is immaterial because those are OCUK's rules and its their forum so its their rules we have to stick by.

Is the forum good for business?

Good question, I would imagine that it doesn't generate that much outside business, because the people using it already know about the store.

Is it cost effective?

Well with free shipping for forum members it probably costs a good bit to run, I'm sure if it wasn't cost effective they wouldn't do it.

A gamers syndicate? Hmm how many GPU's would we need to buy to get any meaningful bulk buy discount. I cannot see that idea working at all.
Not sure what you are saying in the end :p

:D

Associate
Your problem is the high end cards are in relatively short supply so your leverage on price I think would be limited especially in the opening weeks/months. What you would need is significant numbers and most importantly co-operation between members so they don't go off and sort themselves out. Given the volume of online MP griefing that goes on in PC games I put it to you there is a sizable % who are at heart a bunch of selfish buggers who will do their own thing regardless... sod you and everyone else.

Ideally what you want is global social phenomenon where gamers reject anti competitive and exploitative practices and it becomes a stigma to self indulge thus forcing manufactures to take their fingers out of their ears and listen. I don't see that happening though because gaming doesn't really have a figure head you can get behind but I think it could a bit like the Greta Thunburg effect.

Associate
Your problem is the high end cards are in relatively short supply so your leverage on price I think would be limited especially in the opening weeks/months. What you would need is significant numbers and most importantly co-operation between members so they don't go off and sort themselves out. Given the volume of online MP griefing that goes on in PC games I put it to you there is a sizable % who are at heart a bunch of selfish buggers who will do their own thing regardless... sod you and everyone else.

Ideally what you want is global social phenomenon where gamers reject anti competitive and exploitative practices and it becomes a stigma to self indulge thus forcing manufactures to take their fingers out of their ears and listen. I don't see that happening though because gaming doesn't really have a figure head you can get behind but I think it could a bit like the Greta Thunburg effect.

HOW DARE YOU. :D

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Rumored so far.
Nice specs. I hope it is accurate. Would be nice to see it hit that release time frame. The big question is price and how much will it move the price for performance needle.

But as usual I take all rumours with a bucket load of salt.

If both RDNA 2 and Ampere were out in September / October it would be very interesting.

Indeed.

Soldato
That Navi23 is a bit of a mystery. I'm getting more rumors on that then with Nav21.
While Navi21 is considered Big Navi it is not "Nvidia Killer"

Navi23 is the "Nvidia Killer" and there is some interesting tidbits with this one.
1st. It's said it will be a direct replacement for Nav14.
However, the other rumor has it that this is on 5nm. And not n7+.
I've not come across any news, other then rumor, that AMD has moved forward with 5nm orders with TMSC.
If true perhaps that's why Nvidia will have hopper on 5nm. But for now I'm still looking for more info.

Associate
Nvidia might accelerate their plans for Hopper and 5nm if they feel at risk with the coming nextgen. I've no doubt will do fine on performance they have the means the tech the knowhow where it gets awkward for them is the manufacturing costs going up and the competition from AMD as both of these effect their margins which lets face it is the last place Nvidia want to compromise because of PL and share price. I think if they can produce a lot of silicon out of Samsung and it performs well we'll see the benefits, an 80 CU part in any kind of volume from AMD will have Nvidia worried.

Soldato
Nice specs. I hope it is accurate. Would be nice to see it hit that release time frame. The big question is price and how much will it move the price for performance needle.

But as usual I take all rumours with a bucket load of salt.
Indeed.

If the rumours in the NVIDIA thread is anything to go by, I don't think big navi is going to compete at the top end, certainly not with 3080ti. Ampere with 4x RT performance with 20% IPC increase and crazy die size NVIDIA can achieve with their architecture just don't see big navi as being enough, hope I am wrong.

Associate
That Navi23 is a bit of a mystery. I'm getting more rumors on that then with Nav21.
While Navi21 is considered Big Navi it is not "Nvidia Killer"

Navi23 is the "Nvidia Killer" and there is some interesting tidbits with this one.
1st. It's said it will be a direct replacement for Nav14.
However, the other rumor has it that this is on 5nm. And not n7+.
I've not come across any news, other then rumor, that AMD has moved forward with 5nm orders with TMSC.
If true perhaps that's why Nvidia will have hopper on 5nm. But for now I'm still looking for more info.

A bit out there, but could Navi23 be dual chipped on a single card ( AMD have form for dual gpu cards - Pro Vega II for the Mac Pro for example). AMD moving towards a chiplet type setup in the same way the CPU's have been going. It may explain the smaller size listed above, but also why its the nvidia killer. AMD do seem to be heading towards an overall infinity architecture of linking components in a scalable manner. Why not apply that to the GPU.

Soldato
If the rumours in the NVIDIA thread is anything to go by, I don't think big navi is going to compete at the top end, certainly not with 3080ti. Ampere with 4x RT performance with 20% IPC increase and crazy die size NVIDIA can achieve with their architecture just don't see big navi as being enough, hope I am wrong.
Double up 5700 XT is greater than Turing +20% IPC, and that's before you factor in the RDNA 2 improvements. In terms of raw performance, I think RDNA 2 and Ampere are going to be pretty close for a change. As for ray tracing, who nows. 4x RT performance on Ampere brings it up to usable across the stack, but AMD said they were only releasing RT capability once they could offer it across the entire product stack.

I think we're in for a pretty tight battle this generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom