Football and the Coronavirus

Soldato
Sitution around contracts has been agreed between the clubs:
https://www.premierleague.com/news/1667675?sf233954378=1

Clubs and players can, if they choose, extend contracts to the end of the season. That doesn't mean all contracts will be extended (although I suspect clubs will offer extensions in 99.9% of cases) but that clubs have agreed that this issue won't prevent the season ending.
I’m sure I heard on talkSPORT a few weeks ago that the majority of contacts had that written into it anyway

Don
There's a clause in player contracts but this is slightly different. From what I understand if a player is out of contract, hasn't been offered & rejected a new contract and not signed with somebody else then the clause requires clubs to pay them for a further 28 days. In this case there's no set end date so who knows how long these extensions will be (not likely to be much more than a month though) and deals can be extended even if players have agreed deals with other clubs for next season.

Don
The government want it to happen, the vast majority of clubs, managers and players want it to happen. Unless the wider situation in the country doesn't improve at the rate that the plan requires or something goes wrong in Germany then it looks very likely that the League will restart.

Soldato
and it wouldn't see Newcastle last. I would just get the four teams with a game in hand to do a shoot out to settle the two unplayed matches then call the season over. Everyone restarts in August. Job done.

Don
BBC seems to suggest League 2 favour weighted PPG, League 1 are still trying to sort it out. Doesn't appear that anything is iron clad right now though.
Like the PL, any decisions the League's take will need to be approved by the FA. I saw the news last night about League 1, with the clubs outside the play-off places threatening legal action if the League isn't completed.

Similar to the bottom 6's arguments in the PL, it appears that League 2 don't want to relegate anybody with the National League being voided. I can't remember if the National League situation was ever fully settled but if they did void their seasons then it's possible that League 2 could get away without relegations.

edit: the EFL board are reportedly favouring unweighted PPG, despite League 2 voting for weighted.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't understand the League 2 situation, Stevenage at the bottom are only 3pts adrift with a game in hand and 10 games left to play they would have to be mad to agree to any outcome that relegates them. Have they been given a guarantee that the National League won't have any promotion?

The same applies at the bottom end of League Two. Clubs in a relegation battle will not know whether they will go down until the National League decides on how its final table will look.

Back
Top Bottom