Football and the Coronavirus

Don
I don't understand the League 2 situation, Stevenage at the bottom are only 3pts adrift with a game in hand and 10 games left to play they would have to be mad to agree to any outcome that relegates them. Have they been given a guarantee that the National League won't have any promotion?
They'd have to win their game in hand by 9 goals to climb out of the relegation zone - whichever way they ended the season would have left them bottom. I think it's very likely that they will avoid relegation though.

The EFL need a net +1 teams to replace Bury. The National League only have 1 automatic promotion with the 2nd team having to play play-offs, however the National League has been voided. With no play-offs to decide the 2nd promoted team, the easy solution would be for Stevenage to stay up and the automatic promotion from the National League go ahead but not the 2nd promotion.

Caporegime
They could easily overturn a 3pt deficit with 10 games left though, especially after a suspended season when form will go out of the window when it's restarted. I don't understand why they would vote to finish.

Don
They could easily overturn a 3pt deficit with 10 games left though, especially after a suspended season when form will go out of the window when it's restarted. I don't understand why they would vote to finish.
They could, if they could afford to pay all their players for the next 3 months (including extending contracts for half their squad), pay for all the health and safety protocols and testing with no revenue. Unless individual owners of League 1 and 2 clubs can afford to cover the cost of completing the season (and many wouldn't be able to) then it can't happen. The season had to be ended and whichever method of ending the season was used, Stevenage would be bottom. I'm sure they agreed to it knowing that relegation was far from certain due to the National League already ending and little prospect of them determining who should take the 2nd promotion.

Associate

Very simply cost. No League 2 team can afford to finish the season behind closed doors. Any other consideration is irrelevant at this level. The TV money higher up the league's this the only reason those clubs are in a position to even consider playing in empty stadiums.

Don
The Belgium League have now ratified their earlier decision to end their season and name Brugge champions. They've also decided to enforce relegations and put rules in place for next season. If a local authority bans a match from taking place then the home side has a choice of switching to a neutral venue or giving the away side a 3-0 win. They've also agreed that if next season is also cut short, the table as of the last game will be the final standings.

Evertonians are currently wetting themselves with excitement at the thought of Joe Anderson preventing all Liverpool games from going ahead.

Don
Well no, because we had 9 games left and with the direction of the wind combined with the fact that...

Yeah we were, don't really deserve to stay up tbh. I can't argue if the season gets called and we go down, shouldn't be poor enough to be in that position in the first place.

I was talking about Charlton hence quoting Rob you numpty, but yeah Villa were going down :p

Soldato
BUNDESLIGA IS BACK!!!!

Let's Gooooooooo

Dortmund Vs Schalke 14:30 the pick of the ties.

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom