Command & Conquer 4K remaster coming

Associate
I remember poring over reviews at the time, I owned a 386SX with 2mb ram so it would never run. :(

Only in 1997 when I bought my first PC (Pentium 233mhz) I had a PC where I could play 90's blockbuster games, Doom, C&C etc.

By 1997 C&C & Doom were budget titles, whilst I bought, I never played, distracted by the latest and greatest of the time, GTA, Quake etc.

Now righted a wrong and purchased today to see what all the fuss is about. :p

20GB download was a shock though!

Associate
Loving it, started on C&C as Brotherhood Of Nod. Brings lots of memories back, great work from the developers and I am ashamed to say it, well done EA for doing something gamer friendly.

Soldato
Loved the old installer, forgot all about that.

Just got 1 problem, I can't play the game. Got the 1st mission briefing then sat at the loading screen.
Avast did pickup a suspect virus in "InstanceServiceG.exe" while it was downloading, pretty sure that's screwed me over.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Just a normal game, haven't noticed any logins or anything, just finished a skirmish with the ai.
That is good news! I may actually start buying some EA games finally now.

They should bring Crysis 3 over to Steam (and the Remake). Sometimes I fancy playing it but do not fancy installing Origin just for that. Not purchased a FIFA game in many years also, would also buy that if on steam without needing no silly EA/Origin login.

Permabanned
Have it downloading now so will most likely play it tomorrow. Really looking forward to it though. RA was my favourite of all the C&C games but going to start with Tiberian Dawn so that I actually play it!

Don
The online play is an utter disaster.

Some friends and I have been trying to play for the last 3 hours and have only managed to start two games due to network disconnects.

In addition to that, you can't make private lobbies or rename them.

Soldato
Stuck on gdi mission 4 (left option on map), I think game is glitched.

when getting the crate missio is supposed to be done, I get the chinook, but no mission accomplished.

Associate
It's fun, looks great. But the multiplayer is a complete mess. And there's some weird behaviour with harvesters in skirmish, for some reason they'll take turns completely refusing to drop off at any of the refineries and there's nothing you can do to fix it.

Associate
Others here are saying it has UW support?
The menu is full ultra-wide, the game maps have a black bar on the left of the screen, but you don't notice it.
The maps are small, so it's a none issue.

I forgot the enemy harvesters will quite happily change course and mow down an entire platoon of your infantry :D

Man of Honour
Any of you have a Linux partition and wanna just hop over and confirm it works in Proton before I drop my money on it? ;)

I do. I will download it overnight and try tomorrow. I can't right now because it would wreck my sons Fortnite ping.

Sadly it didn't work on Linux. The first screen comes up but then it crashes. There may be a simple fix but it didn't work for me.

Kubuntu 19.10
3900X
32gb
Radeon VII

Soldato
My thoughts:

• The graphics upgrade is nice. But tbh, the original graphics aren't that bad if you play at a half decent resolution and it's zoomed out appropriately. On this game, they have zoomed in more than usual and so the comparison between new and old is more extreme than it otherwise would be. Still, it's nice.
  • Why have they not improved the AI? I don't see an excuse for this. I understand preserving the original for the sake of nostalgia, but keep it as an option with the new AI programmed also. It's actually even worse than the original on RA, because they have included custom maps with limited build space/ many bridges that the AI just can't deal with. So, even on 'hard' they just sit there, get clogged up and don't do anything. This annoyed me a lot, since they have access to much better AI engines in the more recent games that EA now own, it's just laziness.

Still. I paid money for it, so who am I to complain?

Soldato
I remember poring over reviews at the time, I owned a 386SX with 2mb ram so it would never run. :(

Only in 1997 when I bought my first PC (Pentium 233mhz) I had a PC where I could play 90's blockbuster games, Doom, C&C etc.

By 1997 C&C & Doom were budget titles, whilst I bought, I never played, distracted by the latest and greatest of the time, GTA, Quake etc.

Now righted a wrong and purchased today to see what all the fuss is about. :p

20GB download was a shock though!
Redalert was released in late 1996. You could gave gone straight in with that in 1997 on you super fast new machine.
C&C was only VGA from memory, Redalert supported SVGA.
Your machine in 1997 must have cost a fortune. My P133, 2mb onboard, 16MB RAM, 1.2GB hdd was £1000, purchased in around mid 1996. In late 97 my friend got an MMX 166 machine which was much quicker. P233 must have been top spec, maybe £3000?

Back on track, I asked for a steam refund which has been approved.
Sure the graphics look a bit better but thats about it.
Multiplayer is completely broken, AI is still terrible, there is nothing like waypoints, you cannot zoom out far enough for it to be useful, harvester ai is broken (which is a big thing in skirmish / multiplayer)
The best thing about it was the installer!
For anyone wanting a proper (and free) multiplayer Redalert/C&C experience, get OpenRA.
Game lobby works, harvester AI is sorted, you can set waypoints, zoom level is much better.

I’ll purchase again when multiplayer is working.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom